Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Peninsula moose hunt

Default Seward Peninsula moose hunt

Hey. Decided to make a return here in print rather than lurk. I spend all my time over on the Les Paul Forum these days instead of here but now and then I stop by. Went home to Nome for a moose hunt last week and figured why not share some photographs.

Arrived in town and spent a couple days messing around getting ready. Headed out and spent the next 6 days on the tundra doing what we do.
    Went north, way north. And when we returned evidently there were a few people in town who were unaware that moose season was still going on on the northern side of the Peninsula. We had a visit paid to us by the trooper asking when where who and what, said there was a complaint made regarding us. I was less than pleased and wasn't the most polite to him although he was polite to me and yeah I understand just doing his job and following up on the complaint.
    Amazes me that some people live in a washtub, are too lazy to read, are bloated by Bud-Lite and can't kill a moose from the comfort of their vehicle or are just plain ignorant. Anyway. Whatever.

You can see for miles and miles and now and then you'll spot a bull from 4-5 miles away.

We found this guy and left him alone for the day as we wandered looking for his pals.
    Decided to go back the next day and pay him another visit.

My long time partner with his hooks, steel and knives ready to put them away and haul some bags of meat.

The next bull was one we located on the ride back to camp with the first one.
    I figured we'd wander in his general direction the next day and if we saw a bull more interesting than him we'd pay him a visit also. We saw a few but nothing that changed our focus from the previous nights bull so his hours were numbered.

Not much to it really. We went in and rode a lot of miles. A lot of miles as in over 200 total miles across rough muddy ground.
    In my opinion we earn these bulls. Nothing is easy about these long trips and I'm not sure how many more I'll make that direction. I don't need to go that far but the season works to our favor and our work schedules and we like the fact there is no one around for miles. And miles.

We rode out through the mountains rather than the main trail due to high water and swamp like trail.

And home with some new bone. Spreads? first bull 56''. Second bull, lets play the guessing game for a day and see who is a good spread guesser

Nicely done. I'm going with 58" on the second
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Let's try 63".

I'm going to change my answer, after further evaluation I'm thinking 66"
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

64.5 for my guess. Great work, congrats

Is it me or does the 2nd bull have a light colored coat? Seems all the bulls I see this time of year are very dark - and look black at a distance. This bull's nose is black, but from there back he's looks like a golden retriever.

BTW - he looks 63ish to me.

he looks about 61" wide.

Looks like 62.5 to me.

Awesome pics, Scott. You sure you didn't cross any magic lines with those wheelers???????? Haha! Trooper is new to the area. Hopefully he'll learn.
    Better keep going up there while the going is good. Rest of 22 seems to be losing moose........at least according to Tony! Musk Ox is about over, moose is declining. That northern area is the last decent hunting. I'm thinking it will decline too!
    Did you make this trip without any break downs?
    Who cares what the spread it.......awesome rack in awesome country with good buds!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Good story and 'thanks' for sharing it and the pictures are awesome! It is always amazing the wild game that one can see 'if they take the time to look'. Even though the land looks flat, there are many folds that can 'hide' game.
    My guess on the second bull is going to be high 60's! Nice either way!

You must of been in a great area if you were willing to pass on that 'uninteresting' 65" second bull! Congrats, thanks for sharing.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

67 give or take one. Very nice!

WOW, awesome pics Grizz! Congrates on a earned hunt. My guess is 68" or more..

The fat on that first one is impressive, kinda dispels the late season moose being lean.....and a nice one at that. Congrats, cool hunt. I'm curious, how many smaller bulls did you see, your view was impressive to say the least.

Sweet moose and thanks for sharing the pics. I'm guessing 66" on that one bull.

Awesome spread and love the tines on that one. Great story and thanks for sharing. I say 68
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I'm going with 62" on the second bull, congratulations on a great bull and a full freezer!

I'd say, given those outward-pointing points, it's at least 69", and more-probably 70".

Unless your body has weird dimensions on my computer, I keep coming up at close to 70". IF I had to guess, I'd say 70".

Either way, awesome bull!!! Congratulations!

I am going to go with 67.5" Beautiful Bulls!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast