Thread: Pike around the valley?

Default Pike around the valley?

Hi I have done plenty of pike fishing in the winter but I have never tried in the summer I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good place I could go to fish from shore. I do not have a canoe so I am willing to hike in a few miles to fish I was thinking possibly the nancy lakes system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Red shirt and use the rental canoes if they are still open. You just hike in with the paddles and PFDs. Not much in the way of size, but lots of them.

Memory Lake has quite a few and they are becoming more active as winter approaches. My boys and I went out last Saturday and got five foot and a half pike in a little over an hour.

Awesome thanks for the info

Can you get an 18ft boat onto Memory? Any motor restrictions?

Thanks

You can, but a 10HP limit on Memory Lake1
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

whats a good bait to use for pike in the summer? What about ice fishing for them? Herring?

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    whats a good bait to use for pike in the summer? What about ice fishing for them? Herring?
    Personally I preffer Hooligan but Herring works good too.
    For winter fishing it is hard to beat one of my homade quickstrike rigs. Easy to build and they work great on a tip up or a rod.
    If your anywhere near Soldotna I'll hook you up with one or two for free.
    They also like spoons and a Rapala can also be a deadly pike bait.
    I am making my own jigs to try this winter. Just like my saltwater stuff only smaller.
    Might have to set up a trip with HomerDave and his son for some Pike fishing this winter.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Personally I preffer Hooligan but Herring works good too.
    For winter fishing it is hard to beat one of my homade quickstrike rigs. Easy to build and they work great on a tip up or a rod.
    If your anywhere near Soldotna I'll hook you up with one or two for free.
    They also like spoons and a Rapala can also be a deadly pike bait.
    I am making my own jigs to try this winter. Just like my saltwater stuff only smaller.
    Might have to set up a trip with HomerDave and his son for some Pike fishing this winter.
    Im in Anchorage and probably wont be headed down to Soldotna again this fall, but I really appreciate the offer! Do you have any pictures by chance of your set up or describe what you use? I caught my first pike last winter after living here 32 years, I had just never targeted them before and was using a double hook setup in plug cut herring...after frying it up I told myself immediately that I need to get more pike, very tasty!!

I also tried some Krocodile spoons out on memory lake but had no luck, did manage a couple nice dollies on swedish pimple though.

We always use bright number 3 vibrax in the summer time, hooligan in the winter.