Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Boy's DM210

Default My Boy's DM210

After my daughter harvested her DM792 cow and we got that meat taken care of,
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ls-DM792-moose
    we were off on Friday morning to look for my 10 yr. old sons DM210 bull. We spent the first weekend up 20 mile near the top, lots of people on the weekend. It seemed like they gave a lot of tags this year. I had one guy park 30 yards from my boat Sunday morning in clear sight and walk a hundred yards up the creek and start over calling. It’s not my country but everyone would be better off if you don’t crowd each other. There had been an airplane circling the night before so I figure they must have seen something and had to go back there even if they had to park by me. Everyone I talked to had been flying it, and I believe it the air traffic in the evenings was regularly bothersome. First weekend wound up without a single moose spotted. Found some fresh pissy wallows but no moose. I decided to take him out of school the following Wednesday and hunt through the closer on the 30th if necessary. We went up the very skinny placer to set up a meager little moose camp. We saw a small cow the first Morning and spent a couple hours calling. That evening same small cow and a bigger cow some distance away with a couple more hours calling. It got cold enough to freeze the ponds and slews. I was sure this would get them going as the rut seemed a little delayed. Same small cow near camp next morning then son fell in river up to his arm pits, while drying him out and warming him up the big quake hit, that valley rolls like a bowl of jello. Spent the rest of the day poking in off the river looking for a good place to call, and when I found it I told the guy’s I was confident we could get a bull to come. My son was growing a little doubtful. We went in around 5:30 pm and set out a decoy and threw out the first quieter cow calls about 6. The red and white 180 showed up to circle our decoy again tonight and then flew out of the valley around 7 pm. Then I turned on the big sexy at about 7:25 I thought I heard a bull gluck in the distance and told the guy’s. Again they seemed skeptical, a few seconds later I knew I heard a gluck. Ten seconds later I see his palm flash a couple hundred yards away. Now everyone’s heart is pounding. This bull was on a steady march and only stopped for a few seconds to trash a willow, and within a minute and a half was standing on the little gravel island with us at 40 yards. My son was now a little shaken and required a little assurance, but he got on the sticks and put a .308 fusion lite 170 gr. bullet through the boiler room the bull lurched and moved forward 20 ft. He put another in the same spot, he lunged forward another 20 ft. The third one made him move forward a couple feet and he layed down. I was one very proud Dad and had a very excited 10yr old beside me. After dropping the guts and opening him up, I made some calls to a couple good friends who came out the next day to pack him the ¼ mile back to the boat.

WOW! What a fantastic bull for your son, and what an amazing experience for the two of you to share! As the father of a six year old, I can't tell you how much I hope to share such an experience with my own son. Congratulations to the young hunter, and thank you so much for sharing that with us.

That's way too cool!

Awesome story, congrats to you and your family
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Amazing job for father and son! What an great opportunity you made for your son, who then made such awesome shots. Your son won't ever forget this. What a spectacular bull!

Awesome! Great job getting your kids out for those experiences.

Best story I've read this year! Congrats

Nice bull! Congrats to your son!

Congrats to your boy on the bull and congrats to you on the experience! Well done on both counts!

Way to go! What memories for the both of you. He may not kill a bigger bull for a long time.

Good job, we were up there as well up pass louden lake set up with a decoy as well we seen the plane as well sure seemed a lot of people on the river this year

CONGRATS to your son!!!!

Great story and a BIG moose for your son. Now...the big question...will those antlers be hanging in the living room or in your son's bedroom???

Thanks for sharing your successful hunt with us.

The European mount will go in our cabin. Thanks everybody. I am very stoked about our season and the outcome of both hunts. When I was a kid my Dad and Ihelped take a bull about 500 yards from this one 37 years ago. I have been waiting for guesses on spread and discussion on left side brow tines.

Nice Bull, congrats to your son. I'd say he's 2x2 53"

Nice bull, I spent the earlier part of the season hunting back in there with no success so a big congrats to your son!! I would say he is 2x2 but closer to 58"

Thumbs up Hurrah!

Top notch! Good thing you took him for some life lessons instead of that new math they are teaching.

Trapperbob - that's just awesome!!! Way to go getting your kids out this season. Love seeing the smiles!
    Hunt with your kids, not for your kids

That is wonderful! Congrats to you and your son! Heck of a season your family has had!

Nice story and photos, great experience with your boy! Weird how the main beam splits right at the skull on that left side. I shot mid 30s like that a few years ago. Looks like he is close to 60, a real nice bull, especially a first one! Definitely worth skipping school for!

Quote Originally Posted by trapperbob View Post
    After my daughter harvested her DM792 cow and we got that meat taken care of,
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ls-DM792-moose
    we were off on Friday morning to look for my 10 yr. old sons DM210 bull. We spent the first weekend up 20 mile near the top, lots of people on the weekend. It seemed like they gave a lot of tags this year. I had one guy park 30 yards from my boat Sunday morning in clear sight and walk a hundred yards up the creek and start over calling. It’s not my country but everyone would be better off if you don’t crowd each other. There had been an airplane circling the night before so I figure they must have seen something and had to go back there even if they had to park by me. Everyone I talked to had been flying it, and I believe it the air traffic in the evenings was regularly bothersome. First weekend wound up without a single moose spotted. Found some fresh pissy wallows but no moose. I decided to take him out of school the following Wednesday and hunt through the closer on the 30th if necessary. We went up the very skinny placer to set up a meager little moose camp. We saw a small cow the first Morning and spent a couple hours calling. That evening same small cow and a bigger cow some distance away with a couple more hours calling. It got cold enough to freeze the ponds and slews. I was sure this would get them going as the rut seemed a little delayed. Same small cow near camp next morning then son fell in river up to his arm pits, while drying him out and warming him up the big quake hit, that valley rolls like a bowl of jello. Spent the rest of the day poking in off the river looking for a good place to call, and when I found it I told the guy’s I was confident we could get a bull to come. My son was growing a little doubtful. We went in around 5:30 pm and set out a decoy and threw out the first quieter cow calls about 6. The red and white 180 showed up to circle our decoy again tonight and then flew out of the valley around 7 pm. Then I turned on the big sexy at about 7:25 I thought I heard a bull gluck in the distance and told the guy’s. Again they seemed skeptical, a few seconds later I knew I heard a gluck. Ten seconds later I see his palm flash a couple hundred yards away. Now everyone’s heart is pounding. This bull was on a steady march and only stopped for a few seconds to trash a willow, and within a minute and a half was standing on the little gravel island with us at 40 yards. My son was now a little shaken and required a little assurance, but he got on the sticks and put a .308 fusion lite 170 gr. bullet through the boiler room the bull lurched and moved forward 20 ft. He put another in the same spot, he lunged forward another 20 ft. The third one made him move forward a couple feet and he layed down. I was one very proud Dad and had a very excited 10yr old beside me. After dropping the guts and opening him up, I made some calls to a couple good friends who came out the next day to pack him the ¼ mile back to the boat.
    Beautiful bull for your boy for sure......Congrats....!!! But I do have to say that I cringe every time I see anyone carrying a rack out like that. I realize that maybe you knew that there wasn't anybody around for miles, but with so many crazy "hunters" out there now, it still scares the heck out of me......sorry.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast