Thread: Grasshopper Valley Info/ Marcus Baker

Default Grasshopper Valley Info/ Marcus Baker

Does anyone know how far past grasshopper valley or how far up grasshopper valley a person can take an ATV or an Argo on tracks towards Marcus Baker or is it even possible? Thxs for your help.

There's a few threads here, as I recall its not possible. You'd need to fly in.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've heard most people say you can't get past metal creek. One guy told me he's done it and gone a way up into grasshopper.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I've flown in there a number of times and I think you'd have to be part Mountain Goat to even walk in.

I have landed and hunted in Grasshopper several times. To the best of my knowledge Grasshopper Valley is not 4 wheeler accessible. I have always landed at the upper strip but from my experience IF you were able to get into Grasshopper you MIGHT be able to get as far as to the junction of Knik Glacier and Marcus Baker Glacier - kinda rough back there. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Thxs for your info Partner and thxs to the other guys info also.......very much appreciated.

I'm going in to goat hunt, may I ask what your thoughts are on the area? When you say upper landing strip, are you referring to upper one on Marcus Baker?

Do you have to climb high and stay high in there because it's so rough, or is it do-able to climb high and come back down low each evening?

First of all is that there are a lot of goats back behind Knik Glacier. There is a landing strip to your left out from the outlet of 14 mile. There are goats at the headwaters of 14 Mile but it is usually better to go to the lake at the mouth of Colony Glacier where the goat population is even greater. As you fly over Knik Glacier the entire ridgeline all the way to Whiteout Glacier is loaded with goats ... the only thing is that it is a gruesome hike to above tree line. I know of one 12"+ nanny that came out of there. There are a lot of cub strips in and around Lake George. There is one down just around the corner from the terminus of Whiteout Glacier and straight up the mountain you will find goats. Regarding Marcus Baker Glacier there is only one strip that I know of. It is a couple of miles up the south edge of MBG past Gannett Glacier. It is the site of an old guide camp that hasn't been used in years and when it was it primarily was used for sheep. Bill Wiederkehr (Wiederkehr Air) is familiar with this strip - in addition he will land you on the glacier - at an extra cost. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I've crossed Metal Creek the last 2 years in the early spring, beginning of April time frame, on a Honda Foreman 500. Right where Metal Creek comes out of the canyon, this last april I only made it across there because of an ice ramp that had fallen in that allowed me to get across, the water was just deep enough to make me really look at it for a loooooong time before I attempted it. I think if we get a real cold snap here soon, and the water level drops, you can get across Metal. Once you cross Metal the trail goes for maybe a half mile up to a little ridge looking down at the glacier. I did not see any sort of trail going towards Grasshopper Valley, and it looked like some stuff a real pioneer would have to bust through on an ATV. But walking wouldn't be too hard from there I imagine. I think I may still have some pics of that trip that i can text you if you like
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.