Thread: Dog Training

Default Dog Training

This isn't a gun dog training question per se, but am wondering if anyone has any knowledge, plus or minus for the Alaska Dog Works training program in Palmer. Specifically the "camp works" program. Please only post positive info and PM anything else.

Thanks

kingfisherktn

I went to their website and nothing says to me "experience". When I'm looking for a trainer to work with, I try to define what I need. Is it obedience, is it field work, or is it agility? There are so many different kinds of training options. So let's say I'm looking for obedience. For a trainer to get my attention, that trainer has to have some high level obedience titles from competition. A CGC is not it. That's a title I can get on my own without any help. So let's say I want to do field work. Am I interested in hunting, hunt tests, or field trials? Again I would look for a trainer that has titles in the area I'm most interested in. Look to learn from people that have already been there, done that. Now I'm not interested in competing in obedience, but someone who has taken the time to compete and say get a UD or UDX title on a dog, knows a heck of a lot about obedience. So let's say I've got a couple of trainers that I'm interested in and have titles in those areas I want to learn more about, what's my next step? Find out what kind of dogs the trainers own. Are they retriever people or are the german shepard people? Since I'm a retriever person, I'll pick the trainer of retrievers due to the differences in training experience with similar breeds. So if you are interested in finding a trainer, post on here, what you need and what your breed is. I'm sure someone will be happy to get you some referrals. Don't be afraid to ask a trainer about their methods and don't be afraid to walk away from a trainer you don't agree with. It's your dog, you get to pick what you want to do.

Thanks for the info. the dog is a Boykin Spaniel and belongs to my daughter. She's 13 or 14 months old. Daughter got her at about 10 months old. She said she has some real anxiety issues when has to leave her plus will not listen or respond to commands given her by friends who occasionally watch her.

Daughter is hoping to get her into some intensive training and if that means leaving her with the trainer for a spell is ok with the daughter.

Thanks again for the info, I'll pass it along to her.

kingisherktn

You might want to contact the Arctic Bird Dog Association for someone that works with spaniels. What town does your daughter live in? Has your daughter asked for a referral from the breeder?

Quote Originally Posted by Runningreds View Post
    You might want to contact the Arctic Bird Dog Association for someone that works with spaniels. What town does your daughter live in? Has your daughter asked for a referral from the breeder?

Anchorage, don't know about the referral, will ask her.

thanks

Finding someone with boykin experience is important. Boykins are a little 'different'.

Some important tips for your daughter..
    She needs to make sure her behavior is not 'enabling' the dog to continue to have the anxiety issues.
    boykins are pretty much 'one person dogs' - so it makes sense her friends do not have 'seniority' with her.
    Often times, in situations such as this, the person belonging to the dog needs the training as much or more than the dog. Nothing against or negative about your daughter meant. Just that most people who find themselves in this situation don't or aren't able to see how their behavior affect s the dog.

Yes, she can take the dog and drop it off with a trainer and the trainer will establish rules and proper behavior through the working relationship with the dog, but unless your daughter is the one doing the training or a serious part of that training, it can be very difficult for the dog to 'transfer' the behavior she has learned from the trainer.

Boykins are cool dogs.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Finding someone with boykin experience is important. Boykins are a little 'different'.

Some important tips for your daughter..
    She needs to make sure her behavior is not 'enabling' the dog to continue to have the anxiety issues.
    boykins are pretty much 'one person dogs' - so it makes sense her friends do not have 'seniority' with her.
    Often times, in situations such as this, the person belonging to the dog needs the training as much or more than the dog. Nothing against or negative about your daughter meant. Just that most people who find themselves in this situation don't or aren't able to see how their behavior affect s the dog.

Yes, she can take the dog and drop it off with a trainer and the trainer will establish rules and proper behavior through the working relationship with the dog, but unless your daughter is the one doing the training or a serious part of that training, it can be very difficult for the dog to 'transfer' the behavior she has learned from the trainer.

Boykins are cool dogs.

Thanks Juli, I'll share this with her.

kingfisherktn

Daughter received good recommendations for HPR Working Dogs, trainer in Wasilla. She enrolled her for two weeks which started Oct 2. The two weeks involves live-in training working on basic commands and separation anxiety issues she was having. Daughter felt very comfortable leaving the pup after talking with the trainer.