Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many did you have to pass on?

Default How many did you have to pass on?

Didn't get much time to hunt this year but myself and two other family members passed on this guy and five others that we were unsure or couldn't get a good front view of. I know next year will be better and I will have more time to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In two days we saw 18 moose, 8 of them were bulls. One might have been legal and one of them was legal. He had 4 brow tine on one side and three on the other side. He is currently in the freezer! That is more then we saw last year, so the predator control must be starting to show results!

Only saw about 10 moose in 8 days, 2 bulls both about 30 ish 2 brow tine, it was cool though i woke up to them sparring about 50 ft from my tent on the gravel bar.

Didn't hunt moose (though I did have two bulls walk right by me and a tag was in my pocket - neither was legal), but I did have to pass up 18 rams before I found the legal one that came home with me while sheep hunting. Saw two other legal rams among the ~19 total rams. Also watched lots of other animals that I couldn't legally chase - numbers of caribou, a fox, etc.

I passed on the whole season......I went canoeing with buddies in Canada instead.....freezer still looks good, figured I'd save the ammo

First bull I seen while hunting this season was a sub legal about 30" next bull I seen was a spike but couldnt get close enough for a shot then the next one I seen was 59.5" at 27yds. he is in the freezer

I think I really need to change my moose hunting routine/location/etc as I called in a few tweeners (bigger than spike/fork but much less than 50"/3 browtines) but definitely didn't pass on anything. Still trying to figure the whole moose hunting thing out.

I saw 8 bulls in the mid to high 40's. One of them was 47" and got poached and left to rot. One of the mid sized 40's was poached and taken out, but they left the head. I suspect a couple of the others suffered the same fate. I was able to photograph each of the big bulls I saw. Got pretty close to most of them.
    If the tweeners keep getting poached, we'll never have any 50 plus bulls around here. The antler restrictions have been in place on the Kenai since the mid 80's and 50 plus bulls are even rarer than they were way back then.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    The antler restrictions have been in place on the Kenai since the mid 80's and 50 plus bulls are even rarer than they were way back then.
    I have to disagree with that. After a short time when the restrictions where put in place we seemed to start getting a good bull to cow ratio, so I really don't believe it was that. But the lack of brown bear hunts and no good burns in 15a/b I feel was a pretty good reason we still just don't have a lot of moose today....bulls or otherwise.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I have to disagree with that. After a short time when the restrictions where put in place we seemed to start getting a good bull to cow ratio, so I really don't believe it was that. But the lack of brown bear hunts and no good burns in 15a/b I feel was a pretty good reason we still just don't have a lot of moose today....bulls or otherwise.
    The bull/cow ratio may be up, but it isn't 50 plus bulls we're seeing. My 1st moose hunt in '82 lasted all of an hour and a half. We had a 40" and a 56" down opening morning. Those days are gone. Although I did nail a fork horn at the crack of dawn opening morning of bow season a few years ago on my front lawn. That's SOP anymore. I have taken 17 with a bow, mostly forks, but a couple of big ones too. (3 brow tines) 4 brow tine bulls are more rare than 50 plus on the Kenai.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

20140905_203108.jpgI personally saw 9 different sub legal bulls. saw 3 legal. (our group got 2 of them) one 50" with 3 brows, 54" with 4 brows (pictured) and one i guessed at mid 60s that didn't stick around long enough to present a shot.
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

We watched a nice 4 BT bull get shot by a POS welfare Community Hunter the night before the GH opener. The @sshole was bragging about how many 4+ BT bulls he'd killed before the GH hunt even started.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    20140905_203108.jpgI personally saw 9 different sub legal bulls. saw 3 legal. (our group got 2 of them) one 50" with 3 brows, 54" with 4 brows (pictured) and one i guessed at mid 60s that didn't stick around long enough to present a shot.
    Hmm to hunt moose in an area with trees big enough to hang one. That's impressive. And have something that's big enough around to get him to camp to hang. Your doing something right. Good job.

Well that, and the dozen or so sub-legal (oops or poached outright) bulls that get killed every year.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    The bull/cow ratio may be up, but it isn't 50 plus bulls we're seeing. My 1st moose hunt in '82 lasted all of an hour and a half. We had a 40" and a 56" down opening morning. Those days are gone. Although I did nail a fork horn at the crack of dawn opening morning of bow season a few years ago on my front lawn. That's SOP anymore. I have taken 17 with a bow, mostly forks, but a couple of big ones too. (3 brow tines) 4 brow tine bulls are more rare than 50 plus on the Kenai.
    I'm not particularly saying that the bull to cow ratio is still up now, only that, in my experience, it was pretty good a few years after the restrictions went in. I know that 15 a/b still aren't good for moose as a whole, but 15c seems to be fairly "decent" now. From the reports I've heard they killed a number of big bulls this year. Of course the previous big burns helped that area out quite a bit. I'm hoping that now we actually have a bear hunt, and with the Funny River burn now going to produce good habitat in awhile, that our moose population will start to gather strength again. And with that nice big legal bulls as well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Well that, and the dozen or so sub-legal (oops or poached outright) bulls that get killed every year.
    Oh I agree...that sure doesn't help the situation at all.....

If I had to guess, I'd say we passed on close to 20 bulls that were less than 50"/less than 4 BT's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot the only moose I saw. 50" 3 brow tines on each side.
    image.jpg

Any bull area.

Also hunted caribou. Passed on 6 bulls looking for some bigger ones. Ate tag soup for that trip. There was a grizz we saw that we passed on during that trip as well.

So whats peoples opinions on the spike/fork, if all the spike/forks are getting shot up because thats all people can find isn't that hendering bulls from growing to over 50 inch? Or is it the opinion that spike/forks are the deformity's that dont palm out in the future?

Oh I agree...that sure doesn't help the situation at all.....
    Anybody see the remains of the moose rotting right at the Tustumena boat landing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast