Thread: Aero shell W100 plus

Default Aero shell W100 plus

Been running Aeroshell W100 plus down south and W80 in AK. The bottles have been black with a gold label for years. Much to my surprise this week I get a case with red bottles and green label. Anybody else seeing these **** red bottles? Also friggin label is inFrench. ***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you buy this oil? I always get Aeroshell 15W50 multiviscosity oil. Yes I realize this oil is more prone to leaking but you dont have to worry about what oil you put in when and what the temperature is outside, etc. Motor oil on an air plane is not something to cheap out on in my opinion.

I would go to stoddards at Merril Field if I were you and buy the oil that manufacturer of your plane recommends. As an aside, if you are still running with an oil screen I would HIGHLY recommend a B&C oil filter adapter, my oil has stayed MUCH cleaner since I installed one. As far as air craft parts go they are really cheap and the customer service is the best I have ever had for anything I have ever purchased before.

Yep, both Aeroshell 100 and 100+ are in matching red bottles with green labels now instead of the black with red or orange. It's now the more traditional shell colors and if you notice, they don't say "aviation oil" but now "piston engine oil". Their others, such as straight mineral, are still in the black for now, but maybe they just haven't finished the change over.

Heck-fire I still have part of a case of the old White Bottle Aero Shell.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Ya before I did the oil change I did a lot of research to be sure I wasn't adding straight mineral oil. Really confused me when they changed the wording to piston motor oil. Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They never said a word , just changed the bottles. My boss called the distributor when we opened the first case. I don't remember the white bottles, but you might want to check the exp. Date on it.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    As an aside, if you are still running with an oil screen I would HIGHLY recommend a B&C oil filter adapter, my oil has stayed MUCH cleaner since I installed one. As far as air craft parts go they are really cheap and the customer service is the best I have ever had for anything I have ever purchased before.
    Interesting observation. What are your time frames for comparison (time and how many oil changes before and after installation)? Do you find inspecting the oil filter to be more difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Interesting observation. What are your time frames for comparison (time and how many oil changes before and after installation)? Do you find inspecting the oil filter to be more difficult?
    I am going to change the oil about every 25 hrs, at this point the season is almost done for me so I am going to wait for the annual to change the oil. You dont inspect the oil filter, you just throw it away and you collect a small sample when your drain the oil out and send it for oil analysis.

When I had a screen last summer the oil would become dirty looking almost immediatly (maybe after 5-10 hrs). Its not so much the cost of the oil but I have to strip panels off my plane to change the oil, find a place to burn it and having it sitting in the back of my truck until I did. And its about $100 for every oil change.

I guess with a screen you can just change your oil all the time but that gets to be a hassle in my opinion and a screen still does not filter out fine particulates as well as a filter does.

RPPEARSO , I don't want to fire you off but you need to stop giving advise about aircraft maintenance, you aren't a A&P first , second you are in -experienced in aviation in general.
    There are several different filter adapters on the market and each are good in the own right. Some good in cessnas and some in Pipers etc..
    The real issue is not cutting a filter and advising others not to. You can have metal in the filter and not know and while waiting for the report to come back have a engine failure or further damage your engine.
    I've said it before, if you want to cut corners or be lazy aviation isn't a good fit, take the time and do things right.

Ok so if you cut the filter and find metal how do you know if its metal from the engine or metal from the filter that you just hack sawed open? I guess if you cut it open with a laser you would be ok. These are STCed components so ....

Yes im aware there is also an air wolf which involves adding 2 extra hoses and hoses leak, I am not an advocate for adding more hoses. I dont need to be a mechanic to recommend commercially avalible STCed kits that have worked great for me.

Are you taking a risk waiting for the analysis, maybe, if you have an engine with thousands of hours on it well beyond TBO or if your flying it 20 and 30 hrs before you can even get the report in some kind of 135 operation. But if your Joe pilot weekend warrior with a low to medium time engine then being worried about 2 weeks for the mail and maybe flying 2-3 times in that 2 weeks is really paranoid.

In my opinion having nice clean engine oil without having to change my oil every 2 hrs and keeping my engine in better condition is more important than what might happen when in that 2 weeks waiting for my report after my engine has 3000+ hrs on it.

So I guess in conclusion if your engine is high time and your worried about metal just dont fly until you get the report IF you put an oil filter on your plane, for me I will be an old man before I have that many hours on my engine.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    RPPEARSO , I don't want to fire you off but you need to stop giving advise about aircraft maintenance, you aren't a A&P first , second you are in -experienced in aviation in general.
    There are several different filter adapters on the market and each are good in the own right. Some good in cessnas and some in Pipers etc..
    The real issue is not cutting a filter and advising others not to. You can have metal in the filter and not know and while waiting for the report to come back have a engine failure or further damage your engine.
    I've said it before, if you want to cut corners or be lazy aviation isn't a good fit, take the time and do things right.

I used to use Aeroshell, but tried Phillips 20-50 for break in and never looked back. I also use camguard with every oil change. So far so good, but I do put about a hundred hours a year on it.

Repo, your just too smart for me, enjoy!

Is that becuase there was nothing incorrect about what I said. If you have a 300 hr engine since new from the factory and your cutting it open to look for metal thats paranoid. Just get the oil analysis and call it day.

What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Repo, your just too smart for me, enjoy!

A. You are missing the fact that one does not simply hack-saw open ones oil filters. One employs a filter opener which insures a lack of metal particles being introduced during the filter opening operation. Inspecting the interior filter medium is fairly easy and straightforward.

B. The oil analysis route, usually involves the periodic posting of ones oil sample off to the lab. Some pilots opine that the lab results can warn of impending parts failure long before they actually fail. Thus providing a long term warning which enables the engine owner to plan for future repairs and replacements.

C. In this age of shoddy workmanship, questionable metallurgy and inferior replacement parts, it is not unusual for engines with fairly low hours to experience some sort of parts failure. Within the last year I looked at the books to two aircraft whose engines had been rebuilt with less than 500 hours time in service. One was a Franklin 220 horse and the other was an 0-430 Cont.

I don't have much experience working on aircraft, just 6 years, but it is usually in the first 500 hours that are the most problematic... Especially making metal. The most reliable in the fleet were the birds over 1500 hours.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I am a Phillips guy myself, almost every engine I have converted over has seen reduced oil consumption.
    Big fan of filters also. I don"t like changing oil and it buys me more time between changes. Also, if something is coming apart in the engine more metal is caught in a filter.
    Always cut your filters open and conduct a thorough filter inspection, especially in the first 300 hours. Oil analysis or not.

My Cubs liked Phillips better than Aero-Shell. And Phillips cost less. But my new engine needs the oil with the cam guard additive and I can't find the Phillips version of that here on the Kenai Penn. Bummer

The reason to inspect the oil filter is to look for metal and hope there is none.

Perhaps I will cut my filter open then. My first oil change with a filter will be next month. The mechanics I know don't worry about it as long as the oil analysis comes back clean.