Thread: Grinding issues

Default Grinding issues

Last year I ground probably 100 plus pounds of moose. This year I am having major issues. Our grinder is only two years old and it isn't the most expensive one (only paid $200 for it) and it worked fine last year. This year it keeps clogging on sinew. I know, I know...Cut the sinew out, but even on the back hind quarter where no sinew is visable, I'm getting a clog. I took all my grinding meat and placed in the freezer until I could get some info. What am I doing wrong? My bull was a young one and the meat is pretty tender. Am I letting the meat get to warm, before grinding?

You want to grind it SOFT frozen, freeze it just enough so that the meat is stiff and has some ice crystals,, grinds much easier like this. Use the course chop plate and run it through twice.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Concur with Stid. Also, how big of pieces are you trying to grind? How fast are you feeding the meat into the auger? Suggest trying smaller pieces and a slower feed rate and see if that improves performance. Could also be that your blades are dull which wouldn't cut the sinew as cleanly then and cause clogging.

Yup......make sure those blades are sharp......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sharp blades tightened correctly. If they are a little loose then the sinew gets between the blade and the plate.

Of course, with the lesser quality meats you can put them in corning spices and can them in a pressure cooker. The meat will fall apart when you are ready to cook it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Sharp and true blades and plates make a HUGE difference. Just like you sharpen your knife, the grinder is the same.

Link for one way to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2uHuyKVRU
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I had the same problem this year. Couldn't do a pan of meat without it clogging. New dies and new blades too. Took forever to grind it.

So today at lunch I looked at my blade. It is the same as last year. It is not sharp at all. I really couldn't see how to sharpen it without a file. The grates seems a little rougher. I'm wondering if that is where the cutting comes from?

My strips of meat range in size from 6" to less than. Chunks aren't that big. They fit in the hole Last year I did a lot better job of cutting the sinew out. THis year someone told me they ground with some sinew in it.

My meat looked clean, but as the cutting process went along the meat started getting that sticky film on it.

Your supposed to always put the plate in the same direction as it wears to match the blade. I usually try and remove the silver skin as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I would recommend replacing the blades and plates rather than trying to sharpen them. It's best for each plate to have a dedicated blade.

I just slide mine back and forth on my diamond home. Acts just like the emery cloth in the Youtube video. There is no way to sharpen them with a file unless you are doing the wrong edges. You need to sharpen the two mating surfaces.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

One thing I found with our grinder, is that if I stop and remove the plate for any reason, I need to clean the meat out of the auger before putting the blade and plate back on. For some reason having meat/fat backed up in there causes the works to jam up.

We bought a relatively cheap (1/2 HP ?) grinder at Three Bears and it has been pretty flawless for us for about 5 or 6 years, over the course of about 6 moose and a couple caribou. I'll have to check the blades as I know we've never sharpened them. On the other hand, I hate to mess around with it as long as it's working, murphy's law and all.

Here's another vote for making absolute sure that your meat is a little frozen before you grind it. We cut the meat into 1"-2" chunks, then spread it on a cookie tin and stuck it in the freezer. We even put the grinder parts in the freezer for a little bit to cool them off.

We got the meat ground up so fast it was incredible. It would grind it as fast as we could drop it down into the grinder. We were doing it in batches because we wanted to try different spice combinations, and I think we were grinding 8# in 2-3 minutes. The prep work really paid off.

Got a new grinder a couple years ago and it grinds meat like crazy sinew and all. I checked the shape of the blades vs our Kitchen aid grinder that doesn't like sinew one bit. It has a flat side with a low degree angle on the other side compared to the Kitchen aid that has a flat side with an almost 90 degree angle going away from the edge. Once I reshaped the Kitchen aid more like the new grinder, it cuts a lot better. When you can cut yourself with the blade it will grind meat really good. Do not sharpen from or change the angle of the flat side other than to place it on a stone, flat down to sharpen. Lightly frozen meat does grind easier but if your blades are good it won't matter.

We had 'issues' last year grinding moose and caribou meat, so decided to attempt to sharpen the blades. While it helped, we still had issues with them not cutting as I thought they should. This year we went ahead and bought a complete set of new blades and WOW what a difference it made. We did almost 100lbs of moose in less then a hour. That included two grinds and wrapping the meat. One thing that I am looking at is the attachment for the grinder that will put the ground up meat to bags. It might make it easier/quicker, but I am not sure about using the plastic bags. Anyone else use the plastic bags and do you like them?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    We had 'issues' last year grinding moose and caribou meat, so decided to attempt to sharpen the blades. While it helped, we still had issues with them not cutting as I thought they should. This year we went ahead and bought a complete set of new blades and WOW what a difference it made. We did almost 100lbs of moose in less then a hour. That included two grinds and wrapping the meat. One thing that I am looking at is the attachment for the grinder that will put the ground up meat to bags. It might make it easier/quicker, but I am not sure about using the plastic bags. Anyone else use the plastic bags and do you like them?
    We've been using the bags for years with no problems at all. Make sure you get a stuffing horn as close to the same size to the bags as possible. If the horn is too small, you'll end up with air filled voids inside the chubs which can result in freezer burn.

I have a smaller grinder too and one problem that I have from time to time is putting the plate or blades in backwards. Sounds wierd but if I try to cut any sinew at all then it's a no go. I swap the parts so that the rubbed edges are together and it works much better.
    Good luck
    Steve