Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Sept 27-28 weekend success

  1. #1
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default Sept 27-28 weekend success

    How did every body do this weekend, did anybody notice more geese around, more mallards. Just checking, a little colder up north and to the west, this is usually the beginning of the migration through here, just wondering if its been noticed. We did get three nice mallards or friday, heads turning green, I'm hoping they are the start of northern ducks coming into our area. Bud
    Wasilla

  2. #2
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Noticed allot of teal still around. Jumped around 200 back on some shallow water.
    Yesterday appeared to be a great day. Today we didn't see many birds at all. Did notice some larger flocks of widgeon but only saw about 10 mallards. Probably one of the slowest days I have see in years on the marsh.

    Only means and it can get better in the coming weeks.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    How did every body do this weekend, did anybody notice more geese around, more mallards. Just checking, a little colder up north and to the west, this is usually the beginning of the migration through here, just wondering if its been noticed. We did get three nice mallards or friday, heads turning green, I'm hoping they are the start of northern ducks coming into our area. Bud
    Teal is pretty much all I got today I don't know why the teal loved me today but all other ducks stayed cleared. Going out tomorrow and Tuesday still.

  4. #4
    Member akdodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Had a great day in my part of the marsh. Shot a limit of mallards. 4 drakes and 4 hens. Best part of it all was my 6 1/2 old pup handled very well and brought all the ducks back. He's showing great promise. I have the makings of a duck dog on my hands boys!!!

    happy hunting!
    Dodger
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

  5. #5
    Member bkbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akdodger View Post
    Had a great day in my part of the marsh. Shot a limit of mallards. 4 drakes and 4 hens. Best part of it all was my 6 1/2 old pup handled very well and brought all the ducks back. He's showing great promise. I have the makings of a duck dog on my hands boys!!!

    happy hunting!
    Dodger
    Bro, when we going to the marsh?!!

  6. #6
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Very slow day not many birds
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  7. #7

    Default

    image.jpgGreat hunting Friday and Saturday.
    30 ducks. 5 geese. One green wing teal, one blue wing teal, 2 spoonies, one pin tail, 3 widgeon, rest were mallards.

  8. #8
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wetland Retrievers View Post
    image.jpgGreat hunting Friday and Saturday.
    30 ducks. 5 geese. One green wing teal, one blue wing teal, 2 spoonies, one pin tail, 3 widgeon, rest were mallards.
    Baron, you and others have a unfair advantage of being able to fly over to Buluga any time you pick up your gun. I envy that advantage. Happy shooting. Bud
    Wasilla

  9. #9
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    I agree..looks like fun

    Thanks for sharing Baron..but you dont have to rub it in...

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Baron, you and others have a unfair advantage of being able to fly over to Buluga any time you pick up your gun. I envy that advantage. Happy shooting. Bud
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Went out Friday, got a couple mallards. Didn't get out over this weekend, but did this morning. Saw ALOT of ducks!

  11. #11
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    Anyone seeing any sheet ice on the marsh with these temps?
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  12. #12
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Did fantastic on saturday shooting a 2 man limit in just over 3 hours. Went back on sunday expecting some more birds and had the slowest day I think I've ever had. It was brutal. Hopefully this week is better.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  13. #13

    Default

    Skim ice. Nothing solid that I've seen. Seen ducks swimming around in it.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Anyone seeing any sheet ice on the marsh with these temps?
    Went out this morning just sheet ice nothing crazy walked a little further out into the swamp and the ice got a little thicker. Nothing that a stroll around before you set up won't solve.

  15. #15
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    with the temps like they are up north. The marshes should be locking up soon up there. New birds should arrive any day.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  16. #16
    Member bkbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    with the temps like they are up north. The marshes should be locking up soon up there. New birds should arrive any day.
    Oh please Gawd!! I havent seen a duck in a week.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •