Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 108

Thread: Logs have arrived!

  1. #1

    Default Logs have arrived!

    My wife and I are finally starting our log cabin project. We went out to our property last summer and cleared a lot to build on. Now we are starting to collect supplies and we are planning on starting to haul them out by snow machine this winter. I plan on taking photos of the project throughout various stages and posting updates on this thread. Here is a picture of the logs we just had milled from a friend of mine up in Willow, Ramey Smyth. He did a fantastic job for us. He milled up 1200 linear feet of 3-sided 8-inch logs. He also peeled them and beveled the edges. I am very pleased with the way they turned out. My wife and I hauled all of our logs to our house this weekend. We are planning on letting them season this year and hauling them out next year. They are still green and they are heavy! There are in various sizes of 12', 10', and 8' long. I am estimating the 12 footers are about 190-200 lbs., the 10 footers are about 160-170 lbs., and the 8 footers are about 130-140 lbs. Any guesses as to how much weight they will lose after they season? Comments and questions and advice are welcomed.






  2. #2
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Ramey's also a great log home builder. A few years ago my daughter and myself had him show us a few homes he had built as we were considering having him build us a log home outside of Big Lake.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 09-28-2014 at 20:49.

  3. #3
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Looking great. We plan on doing the same thing one day.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  4. #4
    Member Ronster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    684

    Default

    That's awesome! I hope to be in the same spot that you are in at this time next year. Good luck with the haul out/ build.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Ramey's also a great log home builder. A few years ago my daughter and myself had him show us a few homes he had built as we were considering having him build us a log home outside of Big Lake.
    Yes he is an excellent log builder. I've known Ramey for quite awhile. He and I used to guide together. He's honest and dependable. I highly recommend him if anyone is looking to build a log cabin. He makes the scribe fit logs as well as the 3-sided logs like I bought. His craftsmanship is some of the best I've seen and his rates are very reasonable.

  6. #6
    Moderator kingfisherktn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ketchikan, AK
    Posts
    4,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Yes he is an excellent log builder. I've known Ramey for quite awhile. He and I used to guide together. He's honest and dependable. I highly recommend him if anyone is looking to build a log cabin. He makes the scribe fit logs as well as the 3-sided logs like I bought. His craftsmanship is some of the best I've seen and his rates are very reasonable.
    We were looking at his scribed log homes and I agree the craftsmanship was excellent and prices were reasonable.

  7. #7

    Default

    Jack, If it were my logs I would leave a little more spacing so to get more air flow through the logs .If they are green you could get some mold where they are in contact. Like the flat areas. But you have a fine looking cabin setting there in the rough. It will be a lot of fun in building it.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Bushwack:
    Question if you don't mind- what are the dimensions of your cabin? I have been clearing my cabin site and will be looking forward to seeing your project come together.
    BEE

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Jack, If it were my logs I would leave a little more spacing so to get more air flow through the logs .If they are green you could get some mold where they are in contact. Like the flat areas. But you have a fine looking cabin setting there in the rough. It will be a lot of fun in building it.
    Thanks for the tips Big Bend. Great advice. I will have to think about how to create the air flow between the flat edges. I did my best to stack the round edges against the flat sides whenever possible to try to create some airflow. I was concerned with not having enough room to stack them if over spaced them. Right now, most of my usable back yard is filled up with logs.

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Bushwack:
    Question if you don't mind- what are the dimensions of your cabin? I have been clearing my cabin site and will be looking forward to seeing your project come together.
    BEE
    Hey AKBEE. We are building a 16 x 20 cabin with 10 foot walls and a loft. I plan on framing in my gables.

  10. #10
    Member Gerberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Soldotna AK, Eugene, OR
    Posts
    612

    Default

    I let my logs dry for a year under a tarp that let the wind blow thru, then I stained the complete log all sides, I think this will help the logs stay the color I want them for a long time. If you let the sun and weather get to them they will all turn gray on the exposed surfaces.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Bushwack:
    16x20 sounds perfect for what we are planning as well. I stopped and spoke to Smythe and was surprised how nice and willing to tork with me he was for being interrupted in the middle of his day. I sure look forward to seeing your project coming together! So much to learn from members on here. We are finishing our site and will put up a starter cabin next year to eventually use as a storage shed- then build what we really want later.
    Stay safe,
    BEE

  12. #12

    Default

    On the flip side if it is covered in logs you will not have to mow the grass next summer. On the drying I would think that you could come up with a bunch of what they call stickers it is just cull type of like 1x2 from a saw mill you would only need them when you reversed directions you could get by with 3 under each row. One at each end and one it the middle .I think that they would stay stright and still dry with the increased air flow. Of course you would want to cover them before the snow settled down in them.

  13. #13
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Perhaps not of any concern - but could the little bit of overhang you have on some of the logs lend itself to warpage? It sure would make it harder to put up if some of the ends don't stay straight.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Bushwack:
    16x20 sounds perfect for what we are planning as well. I stopped and spoke to Smythe and was surprised how nice and willing to tork with me he was for being interrupted in the middle of his day. I sure look forward to seeing your project coming together! So much to learn from members on here. We are finishing our site and will put up a starter cabin next year to eventually use as a storage shed- then build what we really want later.
    Stay safe,
    BEE
    Careful with that plan. We did something similar over 5 years ago and we are still in the "storage shed." In fact, I had to build another storage shed to put stuff in.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    Careful with that plan. We did something similar over 5 years ago and we are still in the "storage shed." In fact, I had to build another storage shed to put stuff in.
    That is funny! With that in mind I think I will make the starter better built than originally planned!!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Bushwack:
    What do you plan for roof and how much overhang are you planning? I am thinking of a large ridgepole with 2x10 rafters and a 3 ft overhang. Worried about snow load so want to learn as much as possible from those who have done it already or planning to do so! Thanks.
    BEE

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Bushwack:
    What do you plan for roof and how much overhang are you planning? I am thinking of a large ridgepole with 2x10 rafters and a 3 ft overhang. Worried about snow load so want to learn as much as possible from those who have done it already or planning to do so! Thanks.
    BEE
    Probably going with just 2x8 rafters. I personally think the 2 x 10's are overkill. I'm not sure about the ridge though. I would prefer to used a long 24 foot 2x10 or something like that, but I might end up splicing together 4 12 ft. 2x10s because it might be a challenge getting the long stuff out to my property.

  18. #18

    Default

    Is this going to have a ceiling or is it going to be open up to the roof.If you are going to leave it open and insulate between the rafters you will not have enough space to get insulation and air space in a 2x8 .Just a thought. That is where most of your heat loss is through the lid.

  19. #19
    Member Gerberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Soldotna AK, Eugene, OR
    Posts
    612

    Default

    I used 24 foot X 11-7/8" BCI, and have a 4 foot over hang, sometimes I wish I had a 5 foot overhang, if you are concerned about snow load, in the winter put some posts up around the house for support, in the spring and fall when it is raining the overhang is sure nice. I can stack my wood on the side of the house and it never gets wet and I do not get wet when I go out to get it.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    I used 24 foot X 11-7/8" BCI, and have a 4 foot over hang, sometimes I wish I had a 5 foot overhang, if you are concerned about snow load, in the winter put some posts up around the house for support, in the spring and fall when it is raining the overhang is sure nice. I can stack my wood on the side of the house and it never gets wet and I do not get wet when I go out to get it.
    That makes a lot of sense. I suppose you could use posts with screw-jacks for adjustment.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •