Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got skunked near Hope

Default Got skunked near Hope

I've been going into the interior and have spotted several moose/bear/etc. But for whatever reason the Kenai and I just don't mix. After reading some of your guy's comments on the Hope area, decided to give it a shot. I've never been to that part before so didn't really know where to begin. We ended up hiking up the broadside of the mountain mile marker 6-7 near six mile creek. It was **** near impassable. So we drove back to hope, drove down Palmer Creek road and did some glassing all the way back to the campground...still nothing. I have a predator caller, but didn't want use it with all the other people around.

Was thinking about hiking down the Resurrection pass trail next week, but spoke with one of the locals in hope and they said there's only been one bear and one moose taken on that trail in recent years.

I'm still baffled how you guys spot so many bears every day.

Hope gets hunted hard, partly due to this forum, try giving the Seward and Sterling highways a bit more attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=MichaelRyanSD;1427937

Was thinking about hiking down the Resurrection pass trail next week, but spoke with one of the locals in hope and they said there's only been one bear and one moose taken on that trail in recent years.

[/QUOTE]
    I'm sorry that is so funny. Do you really think the local would tell you the truth? He lying through his teeth. No local would ever tell someone there good hunting, fishing, etc in his area. LOL

I know!! I know!! there is a person who lives in Hope that said there lots of bears in the area. I was referring to a normal person. , LOL

Was thinking about heading back to that area, either come in from Resurrection Pass, Devils Pass, or Summit Lake Trail. I could do an overnight or two. What do you think would be the best chance of me connecting with a Black or Brown bear. Someone help this Army guy out!!! lol.

On an unrelated note, I'm getting a UTV this winter, was thinking a RZR 4 person. Want something I could for hunting and for fun around Jims Creek. I realize the have rangers which are a bit more utility, but I want something that has some sort of dual purpose. Anyone have any thoughts why this may be a bad idea?

Are you the guys who had the brown bear encounter that i talked to yesterday?

No, if you are referring to the two guy who said they were surrounded by brown bear. We ran into them at the cafe.

I spent the day mixing concrete for footers, and watching four black bears (Sow with a pair of cubs) and solo Black. They were/are roughly in the area you hunted.

The area immediately near Hope is terrible hunting, as access to the high country is very difficult. The area around the Hope cutoff and down towards either Seward or Cooper Landing is better. Both have bears, but the latter have many trails that take you into the high country or simply enough chutes that you can climb. My wife and I went down there today and spotted a bear within 15 seconds of parking the truck. That said, he was above the goats. When we got to the ridge, he had moved on. Beautiful day, though.

The best way "UP" in this area, is the assend in the hemlock trees. And stay in the trees till there are no more trees. Done correctly it will put the hunter above the Alders & Willows, and into the alpine. And always best to decend the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The area immediately near Hope is terrible hunting, as access to the high country is very difficult. The area around the Hope cutoff and down towards either Seward or Cooper Landing is better. Both have bears, but the latter have many trails that take you into the high country or simply enough chutes that you can climb. My wife and I went down there today and spotted a bear within 15 seconds of parking the truck. That said, he was above the goats. When we got to the ridge, he had moved on. Beautiful day, though.
    I was thinking of using the Devils Pass trail to get up quickly next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The best way "UP" in this area, is the assend in the hemlock trees. And stay in the trees till there are no more trees. Done correctly it will put the hunter above the Alders & Willows, and into the alpine. And always best to decend the same way.
    Thanks for the heads up, wish we had known before where we went up yesterday. It was near mile marker 7, it looks like an area had been logged right through where the dirt road led up. We went up on the left side, took two hours for maybe 500-750 ft.......what a pain in the arse that was.

At mile 6.2 there is a road up the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelRyanSD View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, wish we had known before where we went up yesterday. It was near mile marker 7, it looks like an area had been logged right through where the dirt road led up. We went up on the left side, took two hours for maybe 500-750 ft.......what a pain in the arse that was.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    At mile 6.2 there is a road up the mountain.
    Are you talking about the road that runs along six mile creek?

Another bit of advice to you, if it's raining, turn the alarm clock off and go back to sleep. Some may argue different but I personally have never seen one in the berries in the rain. Saw five down there this morning. They didn't seem to stick around though. Did see a nice goat, and about 30 different sheep. One of them was pushing 3/4 curl.

No.......This was a access road to the powerline. But they moved the powerline. It is legal for walking only. But it gets you a fair ways up the mountain. Once you cross the old powerline easement clearing stay in the trees. Best is to come down the easement till just north of Cub Creek, there is then a good trail in the woods clear up to the open grassy hillside. The old road alone the 6-mile is the old military haul road, for securing the mines when Alaska was invaded early 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelRyanSD View Post
    Are you talking about the road that runs along six mile creek?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
    Another bit of advice to you, if it's raining, turn the alarm clock off and go back to sleep. Some may argue different but I personally have never seen one in the berries in the rain. Saw five down there this morning. They didn't seem to stick around though. Did see a nice goat, and about 30 different sheep. One of them was pushing 3/4 curl.
    I have also noticed the bears seem to pop out with the sunlight. On the other hand, who wants to wade shoulder high grass in the pouring rain; you really need some sort of crampons just to stay upright in those conditions.

I was down on the KP last week and found two bears above treeline eating berries.
    While I agree they do prefer fair weather when it's raining for days on end they'll be there putting on as much fat reserves as possible before den-up.
    Best advice is to get out there whenever you have time and use the best gear you can afford.
    It sucked busting through slippery grass/ferns/alders to get to the Ptarmigan but paid off when the dogs located a covey of about 20 birds.
    Very hard to see the bear in this picture [raining] but I can assure you one of those dark specs forward and just above the darker dog on the distant ridge line [looks like gray-colored gravel but it's lichen on the tundra] is a nice black bear.
    For obvious reasons I didn't want to get the dogs too close ~ especially since the wind was blowing toward the bear.

KP Bear.jpg

I was down there yesterday, drove to the back of Palmer Creek rd hiked north over the top to the back of Alder creek drainage walked all along there and didnt see anything but 3 goats.

I would not use devils creek as a quick way up. You'll walk 3 plus miles before even getting to where you can access the mountain and even then it's a bunch of alder busting.

I have also learned that bear hunting in the rainy windy days is a waste of time.

Ive be been trying for a long time to get a fall bear down there and it is not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    I have also noticed the bears seem to pop out with the sunlight. On the other hand, who wants to wade shoulder high grass in the pouring rain; you really need some sort of crampons just to stay upright in those conditions.
    Football shoes work great for this.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast