Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting on the States Dime

Default Hunting on the States Dime

Wanted to know what you all thought about a Fish and Game employee working at check station "Ella's cabin" and hunting on the states time? Something smells fishy to me. What say you? Should this be reported?

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Wanted to know what you all thought about a Fish and Game employee working at check station "Ella's cabin" and hunting on the states time? Something smells fishy to me. What say you? Should this be reported?
    Is this an hourly or salaried employee?
    Are they performing their duties?
    Would this similar to an employee surfing the internet on company time?

I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they perform their duties as employees of the Fish and Game. Just because you have an employer who puts you up in a cabin doesn't mean you shouldn't be allowed to hunt? Do your work and then hunt on your off time.

Does it?

Don't know for sure on whether they are salaried or not. I forgot, use of the F&G boat to go hunt and got flown out there on the states dime. Basically a paid hunt trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Is this an hourly or salaried employee?
    Are they performing their duties?
    Would this similar to an employee surfing the internet on company time?

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Don't know for sure on whether they are salaried or not. I forgot, use of the F&G boat to go hunt and got flown out there on the states dime. Basically a paid hunt trip.
    Do you think that people who have to travel to remote locations for work should not be allowed to hunt or fish while there because they were flown there by their employer and didn't pay their own way? You haven't provided much in the way of details about this situation. You say it was a "paid hunt trip".... Why were they out there? Were they performing a work duty at the location and hunting in their extra free time? You make it sound like they were hunting the entire time while there.

If they were flown out there by their employer and all they did was hunt and/or fish and didn't do some other work function, then I would say it isn't appropriate. If they were doing those other activities in addition to the work they were sent out there to do, then I would say it is no problem. The issue about use of State property for the activity could still be an issue though, but there may be some allowance depending on the situation. There may be a mechanism in place for the user to pay for the use of the equipment, but I don't know.

So what if I worked for the state (I don't) and needed to fly down to Juneau for a meeting. Do you believe it would be unethical for me to take my shotgun along and do some duck hunting before or after the meeting? Good for that guy taking advantage of the perks that came with being isolated and probably bored.

The employee should be able to hunt on their off duty time. I don't think the state boat should be used though and would expect the employee to pay costs to haul meat out if they are successful.

I think that there isn't anything wrong with hunting in their off time. Also, they're in a remote location, the boat is their only form of transport so of course they should be able to use that too. I look at it all as being perks of the job.

If you're concerned about it report it to F&G and let management deal with it. I know a retired brown shirt Alaska state trooper who got permission from the state to run a guiding business for many years while stationed in the bush. He actually worked as a hunting guide. I think he continued to run the business even once he got stationed back in more populated areas too.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It seems unreasonable to expect the guy to spend his off duty time standing in the corner of the cabin with his eyes closed so he doesn't accidentally see something cool. Off-duty time is off-duty time.

When I was a helicopter mechanic I ran all over the road system in a company helicopter chasing helicopters . Same kinda deal. Be there to fuel them & if something breaks but long boring days sitting for 3-5 hours at a time waiting in fairly remote locations & then spending evenings & off days in places like Cantwell, Glenallen, Copper Center, Gulkana, etc. You better believe I took a gun & was hunting for whatever was legal. My boss (owner of company) had no problems with it or with me using company truck & fuel. He actually encouraged it. Perks of being SENT somewhere away from home & keeps employees happy. This is no different in my eyes.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Some see them as perks. Others see it as necessary to maintaining sanity. Living remotely requires different rules than living in urban areas, as conditions are vastly different. The state paid for him to fly out to his work station and perform the stated duties at that station. As long as off time activities don't conflict with ontime duties practically or ethically, there is no problem.

When I had a remote job (not F&G) out at the end of the the Chain...off time was just that- off. Heck my employer provided fishing gear, mountain bikes, a full gym and all kinds of other recreational equipment.

I couldn't hunt due to military regs dealing with guns...but the duck hunting there would have been off the charts good. There are some perks to being placed out in the boonies.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by 375JDJ View Post
    The employee should be able to hunt on their off duty time. I don't think the state boat should be used though and would expect the employee to pay costs to haul meat out if they are successful.
    Agree with 375. The use of public equipment for personal gain is not proper. Private enterprise "perks" are completely different than when using publicly owned items.
    With that being said, Woundedknee...............how do you know the person was "hunting"? Also, that area is also a Wildlife Reuge. I know fed employees are there. Was this a state or fed employee? Pretty sure that local "seasonal" employees are working there also.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

How different is it for the military to spend money on Morale, Welfare and Recreation?

Is using the government Internet in Afghanistan to chat with friends back home immoral?

How about bringing home an extra bag from a lower 48 shopping trip on a C-17? (The aircraft burns more fuel with more weight).

I once spent a weekend TDY in Bangor Maine, brought home a case of lobster which I picked up in a govt. rental car, and flew home in a govt aircraft.

Where does the line get drawn?

IMO, if the hunting trip is incidental to the work trip, it's no big deal. If the govt employee used govt resources expressly for going out to the cabin for a hunting trip, that's a different story.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't see a problem with using personal time for personal recreation. I think some may be looking to stir a pot and the one who stirs the pot should have to lick the spoon.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Only thing I will say about it is I feel if they are using the boat, they should have to pay the fuel bill while using it. How they would do that, I don't know
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'd rather have ADFG employees that were hunters in their off hours, than ADFG employees that were anti-hunting, wouldn't you? There are too many of the bunny hugger sort these days. We need sympathetic biologists and techs.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Only thing I will say about it is I feel if they are using the boat, they should have to pay the fuel bill while using it. How they would do that, I don't know
    Simple. You bring your own gas.

I am kind of a state employee. I just went on a three day hunting trip while at work. I had duties beyond my normal working hours. I got to use the boat. I bought 20 gallons of gas for myself. But when I had a student in the boat I didn't use my personal gas stash.

As mentioned above, where do we draw the line?
    Most rural school districts have to charter a plane. Often times there are seats available on them. People utilize hose seats all the time for a discounted rate. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Where does the line get drawn?

IMO, if the hunting trip is incidental to the work trip, it's no big deal. If the govt employee used govt resources expressly for going out to the cabin for a hunting trip, that's a different story.
    "Incidental" is the key word here. I've killed, shipped back, and ate a lot of things while out on a job. I just took advantage of being in the right place at the right time. All of that was with privately owned companies, but would not have a problem with a state employee doing the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast