Thread: 2014 Homer Elks Derby

Default 2014 Homer Elks Derby

Hope I didn't miss a thread already, anybody heading down for the Elks King Derby? I have not fished this late in the fall down there and am wondering where would be a good place to start looking for the bite

I'll be fishing it in a powerboat. I hear the fishing is good everywhere. It's not like the March derby. Fish are considerably smaller but much more numerous.

Managed one off the kayak last week. Try again today if the weather allows.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Hope I didn't miss a thread already, anybody heading down for the Elks King Derby? I have not fished this late in the fall down there and am wondering where would be a good place to start looking for the bite
    Fish are in all areas. Lots of recruits so handle with care. Good luck. FISHON !!!

When is this? I couldn't find much info on it. Other than historically being the first weekend in oct.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    When is this? I couldn't find much info on it. Other than historically being the first weekend in oct.
    Contact Homer Elks at 235:2127

Headed down today. Be careful driving if you are leaving after work from Anchorage! Possible snow fall in the pass! I told my staff I am "outta here" early today. Of course I haven't put my winter tires on yet....

http://www.adn.com/article/20141003/...nce-first-snow

Man, I have been missing this derby and the march one a lot in the last several years. Good luck to those going
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Anybody catch fish or did it get blown off? Haven't been able to find any info on the derby

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    Anybody catch fish or did it get blown off? Haven't been able to find any info on the derby
    We managed a few but it was a little slower than we had hoped for. I know a few boats came in with some really nice fish! Leader day one was a touch over 20 pounds. Couldn't stay for the banquet so not sure who won it.

Day one we managed to boat 14 kings...unfortunately 12 of those fish were under 20 inches. Day two, switched out the gear that was hitting all of the smaller kings and managed 5 to the boat with 3 over 20".

Crazy weather. Super sunny and flat calm one minute. Howling wind, pouring rain, and big waves the next. Had a blast! Enough so we will be hitting it again this coming weekend!

Not the best video but for posterity's sake....

Thanx for the update Kardinal, and thats a good video.