Thread: Life insurance for private pilots

Default Life insurance for private pilots

I'm in the midst of buying a term life insurance policy, and needless to say, me being a pilot has complicated matters. My wife and I were both considered to be "preferred plus" based on our age, weight, and health history, but once they noted my recent flight physical, well...

I just got a quote, and my rate is now looking to be about 70% higher than my wife's. Does that seem to be in line with what others have experienced? It seems to be legitimate, but I want to be informed before signing on the policy.

You're buying a product. Get competitive quotes.

I just dont have life insurance. Not having it is always an option. I try the best I can to not allow insurnace companies to drive my life.

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    I just dont have life insurance. Not having it is always an option. I try the best I can to not allow insurnace companies to drive my life.
    Of course it's an option. Nobody is driving my life - I'm a consumer making a choice to purchase protection for my young family should something unexpected befall me. Thanks for your input.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I had a simular experience when the insurance company found out I was a flight paramedic. At first they said they would not even sell me life insurance due to my "high risk job". Then they decided to cover me at a very high rate. Finally they insured my wife with me as a "rider". It was very economical then.

Seems like AOPA has had life insurance products for pilots also. Definitely shop. But it will cost more.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Check out life insurance with Thrivent Financial. I was pleased with what I was able to purchase.
    Charles

Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. I've been working through a service that gives comparisons from 50+ insurers, so I'm pretty certain I'm getting a solid rate. Actually, the rate I'm being quoted is still just below the rate my local insurer offered even before they knew I was a pilot. I'm more curious about the % increase that folks have experienced due to the simple fact of being a pilot. Alas, the rate I'm getting is still pretty dang good compared to most I've seen, so I'll likely be moving on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    Excellent info, sir. Thanks.

Here is the direct link to AOPA's offerings. Not one I have used, just one I am aware of.

http://insurance.aopa.org/life
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

USAA is non commision most life ins. premiums first years premiums go into agents pockets!