Thread: planning big flyout moose trip next year

Default planning big flyout moose trip next year

im trying to plan out a big flyout moose trip, I am looking for a couple different opinions on a coupke different topics. im wondering if you were going to do a once in a lifetime flyout for moose where would it be and why? what can one expect to pay for airfare on a succesful moose hunt for two guys? what flight/transport company would use?

I'm following this one because Im planning one too
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I would do a float trip somewhere on the Yukon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by mudman1 View Post
    im trying to plan out a big flyout moose trip, I am looking for a couple different opinions on a coupke different topics. im wondering if you were going to do a once in a lifetime flyout for moose where would it be and why? what can one expect to pay for airfare on a succesful moose hunt for two guys? what flight/transport company would use?
    I can almost guarantee you that you will not get much of a response from this thread because you are asking the wrong questions. You need to be more specific. I'll try to help you out a little bit.

First of all, what is your budget? Because this is going to narrow down your search unless money is no issue for you.

Second, I suggest you do a little bit of research first. Find out some specific areas that you are interested in, and then start asking specific questions about certain areas, like who are some pilots that fly hunters into the &*&^&*^& drainage or the *&^*&^&(*^& river area etc.

Once you do a little bit of homework and ask some specific questions you will more than likely get more help from this site.

Good luck.

Is the goal monster moose or the experience? Do you have all your own gear? are you floating or camping stationary? Are you applying for permits? Have you researched how to pack a plane so your light and not bulked out where you need more trips? tons to think about here.

well this was the start of my homework. I have heard nothing but good things of the wood river...I would be interested in that area. and money is an object but only to an exyent. im not expecting to pay 20k for a guided hunt. im looking for a fare rate diy hunt. im a born and raised alaskan, im ised to the drastic weather changes and extreme cold that can occur during moose season. I would like to be able to make a comvo out of it...moose/caribou or moose/bear etc. I imagine there should be some.pots on here that are willing to be forthcoming with information.

I have all my own gear (minus a pilot and a plane) I have killed moose just nothing trophy quality. I would love a monster moose and that is the goal buy being a meat hunter.by nature I probably wouldnt pass on a legal bull. so the experience is the ultimate goal.

Find and read Mikes book. it will tell you about 75% of what you want to know. Budget $5-6k per person

I have heard nothing but good things of the wood river...
    Interesting, I've heard the opposite.

Talk to Doug at Alaska West Air about flying in to unit 17.

Second to reading Mike's ton's of info. to be had from his book. Been hearing the wood river has been getting hit pretty hard.

Ditto about reading Michael Strahan's book. A lot of good info in it.

Concerning the Wood IMO you will find a lot of pressure these days couple of different transporters working the area as well as several guides by several I mean three. Give Jeff at Bushwacker a call or email as well as Wright Air ask for Ken and have them provide you their transport numbers.

http://www.bushwackerair.com/ http://wrightairservice.com/

Once you have those numbers and options then I would consider your options in that direction. Again IMO from Cody Creek down to the Rex Trail is currently being used to Max Extent. Once you go past Prax Landing it is a Swamp hunt with limited visibility i.e. no hills that is not to say floating out all the way to the Tanana does not have reasonable Moose Hunting just that is a little more difficult and time consuming. As with any place that has pressure if you are willing to go the extra mile the hunt can be productive you just have to be willing to except you have to go the extra mile.

Good Luck!

Would you share your location with a stranger?

Where is the best place to pick up mike's book?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Grayson View Post
    Where is the best place to pick up mike's book?
    Try this: http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/Lo...pany/Home.html

I almost always get more of a kick out of.taking someone out and putting them.on an animal than shooting one myself. would I give a secret away....no probably not.....would I give good helpful information to try and help a fellow hunter....absolutley