Thread: Hewescraft Pro-v question

Default Hewescraft Pro-v question

I am leaning toward an 18ft Pro-v with Extended Transom and hardtop. Probably going to put a 115 Yamaha on it. I know it won't ride as smooth in the slop as a Searunner, but I need to keep the towing weight down. I see alot of 2 foot chop in Puget Sound, and there's always chance of a storm blowing in before getting back to the dock. How will this boat do when the weather is turning bad? Would like some feedback/thoughts from those who own a Pro-V and are out in the saltwater quite a bit.

Your thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Thoughts and recommendations?

Beware of two-fourfootitis!!!!!!

The pricepoint may seem attractive, but even a tacoma can tow a twenty two foot boat as long as you're not going across the country. THe extended transom will help and the hardtop is a must in my estimation, but I'd have a hard time going less than twenty with an extended transom. I went with 22 and a big motor and three years later I'm very happy, but I still think a 26 with some bench bunks would be the bee's knees.

However as with many things, if you pick your days, know your boat and limitations, you will have a great time and come home safe. What you will lose most with such a short boat is your deck space, which one can never have enough of.

I have a friend with the 20 footer and a yamaha F150. Our local dealer looked at him like he had a third eye for wanting the bigger motor. It performs great and sips the fuel. It works great for what he uses it for, but I suspect he secretly longs for something bigger. An 18 with a hard top won't give you much room on deck.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I would take a SeaRunner 180 over the Pro-V any day. I see the dealers down south selling a number of the Pro-V with the hard top. I would only buy a hard top boat, but I would take a canvas 180 SeaRunner over the the 180 Pro-V hardtop anytime. My friend has the SeaRunner 200 with the light hard top and a Yamaha F150 and it cost him $42K. My co-worker bought a 180 SeaRunner ext transom and a canvas top powered by a Honda 90 and it has been awesome. You really should only be considering the SeaRunner (or bigger) for AK use. If you only run the Yukon then the Pro-V would be acceptable. You should look at the new SeaRunner 210, put a 150 on it.

The Pro-V is more stable while trolling in than the SeaRunner if you have two people on a side pulling in a halibut because of its shallow deadrise. You will be headed to the chiropractor in no time in a Pro-V in PWS. On that note upgrade to the suspension seats on what ever you get.

Regarding towing I have another friend who tows his Bayliner 2452 with an older Toyota 4Runner just fine. I tow my SeaArk 1860 with my Subaru.

Sobie2

For 42 k one could just as easily bump up to a 22 foot raider full hardtop with a 225 for 50K....and have mucho more boat. Hewes is a little proud of their metal in my estimation.

To the OP, I dont' know exactly what Raider offers in a smaller boat but they are solid and much more affordable.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I ran a 19ft Searunner with a Suzuki 140 for years and loved it, but I definitely had to choose my days based on weather/sea conditions. Swells weren't any problem, but factor in 3 foot chop, and the ride was uncomfortable at best.

I have never ridden in a pro-v. I have a 2006 18' searunner canvas top, standard transom and run a yammie 90. The deck is way small. When we go camping or run to montegue from whittier and it is flat I wish I had more motor. It rides very rough in the chop and 3'ers slow me way way down. With the seats farther forward in the pro-v it would be worse in the chop I think.

I upgraded from a zodiac to the searunner and I plan to upgrade to an ocean pro or a PC next.

On good days my little searunner gets me out and back and she is very fuel efficient for a boat at around 4mpg.

Owned an Ocean Pro 20' for a few years. I really don't understand the loyal following. Cheap, automotive style wiring all needing replaced to marine standards, battery in the bilge, no storage, thin 3/16 hull, no self bailing deck, junk seats, plywood deck, and rough ride. Very poor workmanship below deck. On the plus side, easy to push fairly economically with F150 but the combination was certainly not overpowered by any means.

Maybe mine was a Friday boat.

What is better at or near the same price range?

I'll never own another boat that does not have close to maximum HP on it. My 90 does pretty good with a WFO speed of 31mph with about any load that she'll get up on step. With a "legal" load she gets up on step, with 4 guys, full camp, and 30 gals of extra fuel she struggles. On a calm day I would like to be able to run 40+ without being at WFO

If I was shopping for a new Hewescraft right now, I might hesitate for a few months just to see what's coming around the corner.

This great read hints at new models coming down the pike, and I'd sure like to see them before making a final choice.

Here is the back story on why we haven't seen any new Hewescraft in a while, and why the expansion is so significant.

Hewes just released a new SeaRunner 210- Wider than the SeaRunner 220 but narrower than the OceanPro.

Check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    For 42 k one could just as easily bump up to a 22 foot raider full hardtop with a 225 for 50K....and have mucho more boat. Hewes is a little proud of their metal in my estimation.

To the OP, I dont' know exactly what Raider offers in a smaller boat but they are solid and much more affordable.
    Who is selling the raider in south central?

I looked at them a few months ago at the Portland boat show, pretty nice, but just did not feel as good as a hewescraft to me. I walked away from the show wanting a hewes, I looked at so many I don't remember what I did not like about the raider but there was a couple things. I did not see ANY 22' hardtop boat in this category for 50K. I did like the fully loaded 22' OP with the Honda 250 they had rigged with pot puller, downriggers, large chartplopper, 9.9 Honda kicker for 79K - but it has the large cabin which left the deck feeling too small. Should have bought it anyway. I'm going to spend the same money on a 210 searunner by the time I put the electronics, puller, and downriggers on it.