Thread: Yamaha Help

Default Yamaha Help

Problem with my kicker motor, Yamaha 9.9 high thrust (2012). It has a standard Yamaha 703 remote shifter/throttle. I turn the ignition key to start and NADA!! No click, Nothing. Yes it is in neutral. Traced wiring and all looks OK. Located 1 fuse under cowl (10amp) looked fine but replaced anyway. No joy!!! The motor has juice to it as the power tilt works fine. Am I missing anything before I take it to the Dealer?

Thanks,
    Henry

Check cable adjustment, could possibly be the safety neutral switch.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    Check cable adjustment, could possibly be the safety neutral switch.

Tom
    That would be my first thought too. If it at least clicked I'd be thinking a corroded starter, but that would at least make some noise as the bendix attempted to jump up.

Then again, there should be a solenoid on the side of the starter.......that would break the circuit as well if it went bad for some reason.

So, this thing should have a pull start. Will it start with the rope?

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    That would be my first thought too. If it at least clicked I'd be thinking a corroded starter, but that would at least make some noise as the bendix attempted to jump up.

Then again, there should be a solenoid on the side of the starter.......that would break the circuit as well if it went bad for some reason.

So, this thing should have a pull start. Will it start with the rope?
    I thought about using the rope but nixed it off as it would not help me find the problem. I jiggled the shifter a little while turning the key thinking neutral switch, still nothing. So far my choices are neutral switch, key switch, starter, starter relay. I'm leery of putting juice directly to the started or relay, don't want to fry any components. (I'm an old school points and condenser man)

Tether cord disconnected? Some will do as you describe. Others the starter will crank and crank but no start. Worth a look. I knocked mine off by accident on my 150 Yami and about killed the batteries trying to start it before I figured it out. Helpless feeling sitting on anchor as the tide is building anchored miles off shore. Mine would crank but no fire. Finally thought to check the tether. Fired right up! What a relief but sure felt foolish. Some wont crank just for that reason. Cant kill a battery trying to start it.

Speaking of batteries.......are your connections to the battery corroded? An obvious thing you may have well checked but since you got nada with the electrical, it is worth a thought. Good luck....I was chasing gremlins with my kicker and fuel system for the last month.....finally everything checks out okay after a touch of cash and lots of teeth gnashing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaM5 View Post
    (I'm an old school points and condenser man)
    If that the case I would suggest tapping the starter and Bendix with a hammer as someone turns the key.
    Three days ago I use that method to find a problem with a winch. BTW The 10 amp fuse is two small for the starter.

If the hammer does not work it time to get out the VOM or 12v light bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    If that the case I would suggest tapping the starter and Bendix with a hammer as someone turns the key.
    Three days ago I use that method to find a problem with a winch. BTW The 10 amp fuse is two small for the starter.
    LOL that's the first thing I did. The fuse was the only one I found, the holder even had a spare with it.

I have the same engine. I had a starting problem I solved by removing the main harness wire plug.
    I rewired all the wires direct without the plug.
    I spliced each wire. coated them with di-electric. double shrink wrap each wire and double shrink wrap the main wire.
    I also staggered each connection to reduce the size of the complete splice.
    The problem I created doing this is if I want to remove the engine from the boat with main wire has to be cut or each wire end has to be removed from the engine.
    I may buy a new plug in the future but for now it is hard wired and works.

check the connection to the battery as Catch It said. My 50 horse sometimes when my connections are dirty will act like it turns over but clicks and wont start. unscrew your battery and retighten and make sure you have a good connection. Its happened a few times to me.
    NRA life Member JVJ