Thread: Where Are The Kenai Reports!?

Default Where Are The Kenai Reports!?

So I'm stuck on the slope til October 4th and check the forum every day... and see nothing about Kenai River trout fishing! The reports have been scant this year and I know some of the boats I see out there have some of you guys in their seats. Some vicarious living would be appreciated. I fished the Middle eight days ago and washed out beads were the ticket. Caught a bunch of football sized dollies a steelie estimated at 27" and my buddy picked up a couple nice bows in the mid-20" range. Hopefully the water will drop and flesh will be the ticket when I get home on the 4th. Until then, some stories would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Ha! 75 views and nary a peep... Hate to break it to you guys holding your cards close to your chest... when it comes to the Kenai the cat is mostly outta the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
    Ha! 75 views and nary a peep... Hate to break it to you guys holding your cards close to your chest... when it comes to the Kenai the cat is mostly outta the bag.
    Hey nice fishes. Yeah, some people are greedy and want it all for themselfs. True that it ain't no secret. Funny story I stopped to fish jean creek slough the other day. There was a man and woman 30 feet out in front of the bank, i be polite abd ssk how they doin, a very rude theres nothing here abd this spot is full, find another place was all i got. They would not give me any opportunity to fish. I called him and his a few choice names. They weren't even catchin. Next time. Ima start a water fight . Least maybe it'll get interestin!

Release Lake Trout

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	81036The Upper was good last Saturday but between the steadily declining water levels and colder nights it may have slowed down. Only one way to find out....

I hit the Upper Kenai this last weekend. It was a great trip, and we all caught a bunch of dollies and a few rainbows. I wasn't ignoring or holding my cards close. As mentioned before, I feel bad for anyone disillusioned enough to think any stretch of the Kenai River system is their "secret spot". It's all been fished... like this week, hehe. I just hadn't had the chance to upload my photos:

My first fish of the day, a nice dolly varden. I gave him a big kiss for good luck.

Here's a decent rainbow, which means small by Kenai standards, but I was happy with him. He ran 18", but he was big and fat!

Here's my nicest fish of the day - 24". I made the mistake of not holding him right up to the camera, so he doesn't look like he's 4' long. Sorry about that

All in all a great day. Git out there and git 'em folks!
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    I made the mistake of not holding him right up to the camera, so he doesn't look like he's 4' long. Sorry about that
    Amateur.

One thing I noticed is that it's mostly rainbows in there. (Maybe most of the larger dollies are spawning?) Nice spots on those rainbows, too, some of them looked closer to valley fish.

Quote Originally Posted by dinker View Post
    Amateur.

One thing I noticed is that it's mostly rainbows in there. (Maybe most of the larger dollies are spawning?) Nice spots on those rainbows, too, some of them looked closer to valley fish.
    Hahaha... regarding bows vs. dollies, we found the opposite oddly enough. We caught about twice as many dollies and rainbows. One thing that was true across the board, though: football shaped fatties and glutinously hungry for eggs... or beads that look like 'em -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Greg, beautiful fish! Friday can't come soon enough... A buddy of mine told me Kenai Lake all the way down to Bong's is fishing super good right now. Sounds like it's still a bead show.

Yeah, it's still too early for flesh right now. 8-10 mill dark roe, fresh orange, apricot, and any dead egg with swirls produced very well this weekend.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I've been on the middle twice this week. Beads were picking up small rainbows, mostly dead 8mm. If a guy timed it right when all the silvers start dropping, it would be ****ed good. The silvers are plentiful, had a lot of fun and success stripping flashy, colorful stuff. Yesterday I fished primarily flesh thinking the bigger trout have to be eating something. Didn't catch any monsters, but did find some footballs that weren't dinks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg