Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Deer - any reports?

Default PWS Deer - any reports?

Howdy all,
    Does anyone have any news to report about deer in PWS? I'm thinking about heading out soon but have been away for the last few weeks and haven't heard any news. I'm happy to report my news when I return, but would appreciate any updates that anyone might have.

Thanks!

ADF&G produced a report earlier this year. Here is a link to the thread in case you missed it:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=deer

Thanks, I have that. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal accounts. Assuming I go, I'll post results.

We will be right behind ya by a week or so. Looking forward to your report. It was pretty poor for us last month. Saw several does but no bucks up high. Good luck
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

We've had a decent season so far. Hunted high on Monte and saw quite a few does, fawns, and bucks. All the deer look incredibly fat and healthy and the bucks we did harvest had tons of fat. Not sure how things are on the smaller islands but monte and hinch look remarkable good. Also, throughout the year the beach sign has looked pretty good. I'm no expert but my sense is the population is rebounding nicely. They would benefit from another mild winter but it's impressive to see how resilient the PWS deer seem to be. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    We've had a decent season so far. Hunted high on Monte and saw quite a few does, fawns, and bucks. All the deer look incredibly fat and healthy and the bucks we did harvest had tons of fat. Not sure how things are on the smaller islands but monte and hinch look remarkable good. Also, throughout the year the beach sign has looked pretty good. I'm no expert but my sense is the population is rebounding nicely. They would benefit from another mild winter but it's impressive to see how resilient the PWS deer seem to be. Good luck!
    That's good news!

I'll report back in a few weeks, our group is heading out Tuesday.

Fullboat: If it's not too personal, what general area of Montague were you on? We are basing out of the Chalmers cabin.

We like Zaikof Bay but spotted some up high in Chalmers too before the season opened. Don't overlook the beaches in the mornings and evenings, although we climbed up on the tops for 3 bucks, we also managed to find two more down on the beaches, just cruising and glassing.

Good to know. We hunted most of our days on Green last year and saw quite a few does and fawns, but no bucks to speak of. (mid Sept.)
    We then spent the last day in Zaikof up high and found reasonable numbers up there.
    This will be our first time hunting the Chalmers area so it'll be interesting trying to find our way up. Figure we'll give a couple days there and if all else fails, head back up to Zaikof.
    Hopefully we'll have some pictures to put up next week! Thanks again.

JQ

Locals in Cordova have been doing quite well this year. Lots of yearlings and two year olds and a few old growth. A friend took his son out for the day last week and they got seven deer, all on the beach. This is the other good time of year to cruise the beaches at low water looking for deer. The mature deer run off the young ones as the rut approaches and the yearlings and two year olds seem to spend a lot of time wandering the beaches. Has nothing to do with snow right now.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Agh! Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
    And of course when I plan to leave, the marine weather is calling for gusts to 55kts in passage canal!

Anyone else planning on being over in the Montague area this week?

I was considering it but the weather looks like complete crap.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Unfortunately I came down with the Plague on Friday. Wasn't able to really leave the living room all weekend. Hope y'all have better luck!

JR2- yeah, wasn't too excited about that forecast, but hopefully their right about it laying down Tuesday afternoon. Looks to be fairly calm over there now.

Boreal- thanks, and hope you're on the mend.

20 knts in Port Wells and it's due to get worse. Maybe later in the week.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Weather in pws can be so frustrating this time of year, hopefully the wind dies down in three weeks
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

We ended up getting 5 up high opening day of any deer. One buck, two does and two little-uns.
    Weather came in the second day and pushed everything into the trees. Then it really got with it, rained super hard for about 36 hours, snowed above 800ft and kept us in the cabin one day.
    The last day we made an effort as it looked to be a nice day, but as soon as we got up to elevation the weather blew over the top of Montague and started howling. As well as raining/hailing pretty hard so we called it and headed down.
    Had a good trip overall, got to try a new anchorage for me that held well in some pretty high winds, got some deer, lost some money at poker, and drank most of the beer, so I'd say it was a success!
    We did just about get the teeth beat out of us on the way back in though, straight into the wind the whole way blowing between 20-50kts depending where we were. First time I've had a wave on the windows of this boat that wasn't in spray form.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post
    Had a good trip overall, got to try a new anchorage for me that held well in some pretty high winds, got some deer, lost some money at poker, and drank most of the beer, so I'd say it was a success!
    You bet it was........at least you're out there. Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Great job on the hunt and congrats on the deer. I can't tell from you pick but what's your boat?

Congrats. Can't wait to get back home next week and make a trip out myself.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Great job on the hunt and congrats on the deer. I can't tell from you pick but what's your boat?
    It's a 33x10.5 Bayweld

"Little Queen"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast