Thread: Best place to shop.

Default Best place to shop.

I'm in anchorage, where's the best place to shop for reloading supplies? Is there one place that's better than the other or is it like any where else in the US where you just have to hop around from store to store and hope to stumble across something. Btw right now I'm looking for heavier .30 cal projectiles (190-210 gr). And some 7828 or 7828ssc.

Hop around. I always try the small business guys first.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

At this point in time, given the current shortages, I don't think you can be choosey.

You will need to shop ALL the stores, including Mail Order, stores like www.midwayusa.com

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Who are the small business guys around here?

I was in Arctic Ammo the other day and they had a good supply of both primers and powder. I am not sure what they have now, but they are worth checking out. Still having issues finding HS-6, Varget and Blue Dot. Whenever I ask, people just laugh!!!!!

I'm in Bethel so I shop at Grafs online. I just bought 500 250gr. Lapua FMJBT for only $67.99. Seriously.

They made a mistake. I have to call them in the AM to find out how to send back. I only wanted a box of 100. Someone's going to get reamed. A $297.99 box of bullets for only $68! HA!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

A general rule of thumb for reloading supplies up here in Alaska: Buy your brass and bullets online and take advantage of free flat rate shipping. For bullets, try Berry's, Montana Gold or Widener's. For brass, try Starline or Graf's (shipping charge). Of course, there's always Midway USA, Brownell's and Cabelas to fill the voids.

Powder and primers are better bought locally. Try Cabela's, 3 Bears, and Sportman's. Arctic Ammo and Great Northern Guns can be good also. Don't forget Alaskaslist and the local gun shows too.

The options are really endless. It all depends what reloading supplies you are looking for and how much time and effort you are willing to invest to get the best deals.

Boondocks in Eagle River has some of the best prices on powder, but as with everyone these days it's hit or miss as to what they can keep in stock. There is really no guarantee that the big guys have items in stock and often their prices are on the high side. But there is something to be said for being able to find something in stock and take it home.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse in Wasilla yesterday and they had several cans of IMR 7828ssc on the shelf.

Whoever thought that one day you wouldn't be able to find Blue Dot? Not me. (Guess who needs some Blue Dot?)
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

SW in Wasilla has some varget ,R17,TAC,H414 and several other more normal powders that are scarce, as of an hour ago. Three Bears Palmer has several types as well and some bricks of Rem thunderbolt 22lr. Everybody seems to have primers now. I have been looking all over for some 180gr .312 hunting bullets but they don't exist even on line.

These folks will make anything you want. http://hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

You can buy thier 0.318" bullets and size them down.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Yeah, but I just don't shoot bullets at a buck apiece especially from an old Mosin. I can buy loaded 7.62x54R in180 soft point for less than $1 each that shoot pretty well. I'm just looking for a bullet that shoots as well as these factory rounds that is cheaper to shoot.