Thread: Kinda trick question.

Default Kinda trick question.

What was the first factory 44mag and 454Casull handguns to hit the showcases?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Ok, I'll guess without even using Google

Ruger and Freedom Arms
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Ruger...
    And here I thought old Elmer teamed up with Smith to produce the M29.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    And here I thought old Elmer teamed up with Smith to produce the M29.
    Who... What...???

time for another cup of joe....
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Ruger was the first 44mag to hit the market by a week or so before S&W,both had to wait on ammo to hit the shelves. FA is not the first 454 to hit the market.Hint they were sued by Ruger over the transfer bar.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

OK it was the NAA built Seville whom went through many name and owner changes as partners split ways. They also built guns called Virgina Dragoon and Dakota.

I was wondering about the Seville. Here is a good article about the USA Sevilles. http://singleactions.com/Seville.pdf According to this there were like less than 50 chambered in 454. I'm not sure where the 454 fits in the timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Ruger was the first 44mag to hit the market by a week or so before S&W,both had to wait on ammo to hit the shelves. FA is not the first 454 to hit the market.Hint they were sued by Ruger over the transfer bar.
    Yes, Smith and Ruger were using the same range back then and Smith didn't police their brass. So along comes Ruger and finds long 44 brass all over and deduced that Smith was bringing out a new caliber so they quickly chambered a Blackhawk to those spent cases and beat Smith to market with their own invention.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Here's a 454 Seville thread with some interesting info and a few pics.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/10181

According to Lee Martin, author of above article, there were 50 454 Magnum Sevilles made between 1982 and 83. Whether these "hit the showcase" or qualify for that description, who knows. But it is widely published and recognized that the first 454 Casull "production" revolver was the Freedom Arms/Dick Casull/Bob Baker Model 83. I'm still thinkin I need one

Kinda like Ruger/Smith on first to the shelf but for sure the FA is king.