Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Classic Hunt!!!

Default A Classic Hunt!!!

Back around 2009 a rifle came up for sale in Nome, where I was living at the time. I had some extra money and was thinking of guns and custom knives as an investment. The rifle was a pre 64 Win. Model 88 in 284 caliber. It was in good shape and the asking price was reasonable. I purchased the gun.
    It stayed in the closet and was never fired. I did pick up 3 boxes of Win. ammo shortly after purchasing it. Ammo was scarce and found some at a gun show in the states.
    Last spring I decided I should do at least one hunt with the gun. I drew a moose permit for the Ruby area so figured I'd try the gun on that hunt. Had hoped to bring the daughter, but missing that much school was not that good of an idea.
    Got in to Ruby on Sun the 14th. Used to live there and still have a house and truck there. Bought gas on Mon. Loaded up the truck, and headed out for a few days of camping out the Ruby road. Was really looking forward to the camping and calling and accessing areas that others wouldn't likely be hunting.
    About 15 miles out I hit this area:

My permit was for the west side of the road and just as I passed the cabin in the background, I spotted a young moose on the west side. Realizing that my hunt would be over if I bagged him, but also feeling like you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I exited the truck, left the road (to be legal) and placed a shot into the animals chest just as he began to move. The bull crossed the road quickly and entered the willows on the other side. I watched his antlers over the willows and then saw him sprint into some spruces on higher ground and disappear. I had a view of the road for a ways and he was headed for it when I last saw him but didn't cross it. I was skeptical I had hit him, but decied I would do some checking in the spruces. Walked up the road and entered the trees beyond where I had last seen the bull and began working back towards where I had last seen him. Less than 2 minutes of walking slowly thru the trees and almost stumbled over this:

Good thing he was dead as he would have had a good chance at stomping me by the time I had seen him. I had my cam and the tag in my pocket, so notched the tag and then took a minute for pics, then got the plastic tag and fixed it on the antler.
    Here is the obligatory rifle on the antlers pic:

The 150 gr. Win. power point entered the chest a tad high but destroyed one lung. Never found the bullet but am pretty sure it didn't exit the other side. The bull didn't leave much, if any, of a blood trail but blew blood all over when he stopped and died.
    I was by myself and did the whole animal alone. Pack was about 25 yds and it wasn't a completely mature animal. Not that heavy.

So the hunt was over, and the associated camping trip. With the warm fall temps, it was best to get back to town and get the pieces hung. Got the meat back to Fbks thur and have put a lot of time into meat, burger, sausage, etc. Freezers are full and still have Bison from the daughters kill last March.

I'm not all that satisfied with the 88 as a useful gun. The mag does not work with the bolt as it should. Feeding is dicey and requires a very strong, purposeful stroke to get it to work. I tried another mag, but it was worse. The classic gun will go into the closet again to hopefully accumulate value over time.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Congrats! Nice bull! I have a well used 88 in 308 laying around that I have never played with. Maybe I should...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thats a good size moose there. Pre64 mod 88's are already spendy so sell now before they start making them in Japan.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I like to shoot those young moose lol great job

Congrats on the moose, I really enjoyed your story and photographs. That's a beautiful time of year you were able to hunt.

Awesome! I like the philosophy. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth.

Nice moose and story. That's pretty much my opinion of the 88 as well and I sold mine a few years ago to someone that wanted it a lot worse than I did. No regrets in buying it, using it or selling it.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Nice animal and a great story.

Well done, looks like nice weather, nice country and a 25 yard pack is to be envied. Cool gun ( despite the stated issues). I'm looking to get my old/new model 99 out in the woods this year for much the same reasons......you've inspired me to clean it up and put a box through it.

MT, way to go. You went to hunt moose and moose hunt you did! I know you said it was a small bull but it looks to have a decent size body on it. One might say it was too easy of a pack however doing a moose by yourself is never easy. I know you worked for it. Wishing I was there...JP

Congrats Mike. I didn't know if you still had the cabin in Ruby or not. Curious how you got that whole moose out of Ruby into Fairbanks since there arent any air cargo serving that village. What's the spread? Cmon man, details here!

Thanks Jeff,
    let's do it together next year.
    Hi Mike (Peterbuilt)
    I still have the house in Ruby. The truck is mine also. The 3rd thing I have is a small plane, which carried most of the moose to Fbks. There are 2 carriers serving Ruby that could ship meat to Fbks. Wrights and Ravn. I work for Ravn so was able to send some things, including meat, back to Fbks.
    Aren't you about due for a hunt up here, Mike?

Sweet! Thanks for sharing the story and the pics. Well done!

Yeah I'm due. Maybe in '15. Waiting to see the draw supplement. If I could find a beaver w/floats in Aniak it would be easyola.

Awesome Mike...sure looks like a pretty place to hunt. Makes me tired just thinking of butchering a moose alone. I told my sister that I was cutting off my trigger finger a few years ago after butchering a big one...lol it grows back every moose season. Glad you got your meat
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Phil 4:13

Right on Mike! looks like a med to large bodied moose. Whats the spread? Did my wifes BIG bodied moose by myself as there was little she could do except keep my knives sharp. Took me exacly 5 hours from start to finish..

Spread was around 36. I gave the head to a neighbor who wanted a nose and does antler carving. Took me right around 5 hours too. It was a good size for one guy to handle and still have a good amount of meat. Not as fat as I would have liked. The bigger ones always seem fatter until end of Sept.
    There's always next hear.

Congrats Mike, perfect meat bull, glad it all worked out so well. Lori and I will have to hit you up for dinner so we can taste some of it <grin>.

Great doings!
    At least your job got done right proper with that cranky rifle........maybe you need a Mosin? ~~LOL!!~~
    Other than a mag swap, it sounds like you need to tinker awhile to get the original mag to a perfect fit. Theaftermarket mags for 88's often have high feed lips , prehaps thats the resistance you feel while reloading.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

That is a big bodied bull! Nice work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast