Thread: GC boat weight

Default GC boat weight

Does anybody have any idea what the dry weight of a 30' GC King is with twin Yam. 250's.

With trailer and gear but no fuel my understanding is around 16K pounds.. So the boat itself is probably 12.5?? My 28'6" with twin 250s, trailer, gear, and 100 gallons of fuel was 14,600 lbs. I know of two others that are in the 29-30 rage that scaled at 15.5K and 16.5K with some fuel. A 32' some years back hit the scale at 17,500. All with trailers included in the weight.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I wonder if they got the correct sized trailer with their boat? Mine seems to be a 10500#. Way under rated!

Most manufacturers under estimate the weight of their boats and don't add in enough weight for the stuff we all put on our boats when they size a trailer for the boat being sold. Additionally, since most builders and dealers try to keep their prices as low and competitive as possible they will include the smallest, lightest and least expensive trailer they can. This frequently leads to an overloaded trailer.

Combine that with the fact that very, very few boat owners ever weigh their boats they have no idea if their trailer is overloaded or not. Have you ever seen a disabled boat trailer at the side of the road here in Alaska?

If your trailer is actually under rated for your boat and load it would not be the first one. I strongly recommend you take you boat to a commercial scale and weight it - That will be the only way you will ever know if it is overloaded or not.

Mine was originally going to get a 10,500. I bought my own 12,500. Glad I did because it's barely enough. If I had to do it over again the 15,000 would probably be what I would do but the 12,500 is within spec, just closer to the line than I like.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Well got it weighed over the weekend, comes in at 11640 "WET" with only half a tank of fuel shown by the fuel gauges and I think those could be off, some reserve left but not sure how much. The trailer is a 10500# model, I am going to re-evaluate all the equipment and get the weight below the max limit of the trailer.
    I do not like being that close to the limit of the trailer so if you know anyone looking for a 10500# King trailer for a smaller boat I'm sure we can come to some agreeable price, I will be upgrading! The trailer is in good shape, spare tire and hub, wheel hub washouts and it has been washed everytime it was put into saltwater, no rust.

Just an FYI...my 32' GC w/ 80 gals of fuel on board and twin 350 Yammy's weighed in with the trailer at 14,900 lbs.

Just weighed mine at the weigh station. 27' coho, twin yam 200's, 1/2 full tanks, and most gear, with the trailer is 12,200#. So the boat is right around 10,000lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    Just weighed mine at the weigh station. 27' coho, twin yam 200's, 1/2 full tanks, and most gear, with the trailer is 12,200#. So the boat is right around 10,000lbs.
    Thanks for posting Overtime. I have the same boat with twin 150s and was guessing around 12K pounds. My trailer is also a 10.5K. Looks like it's time to upgrade.

No problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you go to upgrade, take a look at the Kokopelli aluminum i-beam trailers. They are priced better that the galvanized trailers & are a better trailer to boot. They are sold in state out of Homer.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    When you go to upgrade, take a look at the Kokopelli aluminum i-beam trailers. They are priced better that the galvanized trailers & are a better trailer to boot. They are sold in state out of Homer.
    Thanks for the information. I noticed Bayweld uses Kokopelli trailers which was a good sign. I'm more of a fan of galvanized trailers because the handle the flexing better that happens when bouncing down the road but it was also convenient that they were cheaper.

Thanks again for the info.

FYI, there is a free scale just past the recycling center off of Dowling. The digital display is on the building to the left. It is a narrow, raised, scale, so a little care is required. The recycling center trucks use this scale so I have only used it very early on weekend mornings to avoid interfering with their business.