Thread: A cushy moose hunt, and a great ending

Default A cushy moose hunt, and a great ending

Well, this moose season was a different one for me. Normally, we hunt moose via horseback, but this year, I wanted to try something a little different. We ended up with a any bull tag for 16B this year, so I thought it was a perfect opportunity for my dad to come up and give moose hunting a try. We've planned several times to do this, but it just never came together for one reason or another. So, he arrived last week, and we did some quick reorganizing of his gear (mainly putting it into dry bags to ensure that we got to the cabin with dry clothing for him). We launched at the landing and had a fairly uneventful trip to my cabin. No rain, and a little bit of blue sky gave us some hope that the weather wasn't going to be as wet as the forecast predicted. Got to the cabin, went up and got the 4 wheeler then hauled all the gear up. This is the first "cabin" moose hunt I've ever done, and thought how nice it would be to hunt, and have a nice dry, warm cabin to come back to. We got all of our gear sorted and ready to hit it early the next morning.
    Well, we wake up to the sound of a good hard steady rain. The weather forecasters got this one right. They seem to be really good at predicting rain. We donned on all the rain gear and headed out to the first location that I wanted to call from. The first day was intended to be the day we would do some checking on the areas I had looked at during the summer as potential areas to hunt. We make it out to the first big meadow, and do some calling and scraping. We had no response for about an hour, then a cow started to call. We called back and forth for about 20 minutes then she just shut up. Stayed for a bit longer and nothing. So, this being my "mobile" day, we went on to the next location. This one being a rather large clearing where I had found some older rubs during my summer scouting trips. We just got into the clearing and found a nice fresh rub, indicating at least one bull was in the area. So we set up the calling area, put out my moose herd (I have two decoys I wanted to try out), and called a bit for the evening.

[/URL]

We called until it was almost too dark to see, then backed out of the area and went back to the cabin to dry out, and get ready for the morning hunt. Morning came quickly, and we were on the trail by 0500. We made it out with plenty of darkness still left, and just let things sort of calm down. I'm not used to doing a "motorized" moose hunt anymore, and figured we better let things calm down after running the wheeler in the area. After about an hour, it began to get light, and the calling and noise making begins. It was still raining pretty hard at this point, which isn't my favorite weather to hunt in. We were on stand for about an hour when I thought I heard a grunt. Just one. Thinking maybe it was just me, I ask "did you hear something?" My dad responds "yep, sounded like a uuhh". I said " well, if two of us heard the same thing, it must have happened, sort of like being on the internet means its true. just in a different way". But back to the story, so, our intensity of staring picks up a bit....but nothing. I continue to call off and on over the next hour and then I heard something again. Didn't quite sound like a grunt, but it was a low sound. My dad was fidgeting around a little bit, and that Helly Hanson rain gear he was wearing is extremely squeeky when he moved. So I tell him "hey, quit moving". He quits and I listen, and heard it again......he starts fidgeting again, and again I say "hey, quit moving". Then the sound again, and again in a very repetitive sequence. I quickly realize, we have a bull coming in somewhere. I looked just beyond my dads left shoulder, and see a bull off about 500 yards, coming right at us. I tell him "hey, bull coming in right there". We do some quick readjusting to get set up for a shot. He still coming, grunting about every time he put his front foot down. Closing the distance on us quickly. At about 200 yards, he stops at a small stand of spruce and destroys a tree or two. I give him a quick low grunt and he begins moving toward us again, at a fairly quick pace. At about 100 yards, he decides he's going to cross in front of us, and go toward the cow decoys. He must have though he won the jackpot, finding two girls, without any big guy around guarding them. He crosses in front of us, giving a perfect broadside shot at about 80 yards, and BOOM......moose hunt is over. The funnest part of the moose hunt just ended, and the work began. Especially looking at what he ended up falling into........

[/URL]

[/URL]

This was the first moose my dad had ever seen in person, and he was impressed at the size of the animal. I told him "you ought to see what a big bull looks like on the ground like this". So, being in the water the way he was, I figured I could use the wheeler's winch to at least get him into a position that would make it easier and dryer for us to work in. That little warn winch did the job and got him onto "dryer" ground, where we spent the next several hours getting him apart and into the meat wagon. We made the slow trip back to the cabin and got him hung, and went inside and had us a celebratory frosty adult beverage and a nice steak dinner. Man, I could really get used to hunting like this. We spent the next day exploring, since the day broke as a nice sunny clear day. Pretty uneventful that day, and the next day we packed up the boat and made our way back home.

[/URL]

All in all, a great hunt, with a good ending. And was happy I was able to get my dad in on a moose hunt. I know he had a great time and will enjoy telling all the lies to his friends and to the hunter safety classes he teaches.

Congrats,great taking the old man hunting.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Way to get it done. Pretty exciting having a bull coming in like that
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Excellent! Man, that sounds like a wonderful experience - sharing it with your father, having a roof over your head at night, having the means to make the extraction without needing to pack - pretty cush, man! Well done, and thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Congrats,great taking the old man hunting.
    +1,, What Mr Will said!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

A couple more pics, shows the excitement of the hunt.....from an older perspective. Funny, I see the same looks on Mal's face during the moment of success......

Well, maybe not that SAME look.....right Mal?

Also, tried one of these. Man, I tell you, it sure made it way nicer to sit in the rain, and I think hid a lot of movement during the readjusting we did to set up the shot. Probably not something I'll use very much, but for this hunt, it was well worth the money.

It's great to see hunters getting their dads back in the field. They influenced us all so much one one way or another it's awesome to see some payback! Well done!

Love the look on your dad's face!!! You can bet he will be telling all his friends what a great moose hunter his son is! Good job.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Congrats on the hunt you'll never forget. Nothing like taking a parent out on a trip he too will always remember. Thats what its all about.

No matter how many hunts you go on, this one with your dad will always be the 'highlight'! Sounds like you all have a good time and were able to put meat in the freezer!

Good job , But you let the cat out of the bag on the 2 decoys That set up works great !! early or late in the season
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!