Thread: Ketchikan goats

Default Ketchikan goats

A buddy and I have a zodiak in Ketchikan and would like to pursue goats next week. We have both hunted goats just never in SE. If the weather permits (big if), we would like to access Rudyerd, Smeaton, or Boca....if not, we plan to run up Carroll. Having never been there before, is it realistic to think we could spot goats from the salt and go up after them? It's obvious we will have to go thru alot brush and we are prepared for that. Are there any useable logging roads/trails to get into country? I am assuming if we want to avoid other people, then we are best to avoid the areas with float plane lakes, anyone know of pressure from the salt?

If anyone has ever hunted there or any info on those areas we would appreciate it.

Also, any ideas to where we could store our rifle cases from the commercial flight?

Thank you,
    Jason

I would just head up Carroll inlet and hunt around Mt. Reid, look for the old landslide for you accent up the ridge, it's way more easier.

That's great advise. I think your overthinking this just a bit. You most likely won't be spotting goats from salt. Possible but unlikely in Sept/oct. Mt Reid does have logging road. Make sure you have a dry set of clothes at the boat for your run back to town. FYI flying in doesn't equate to lack of nice goats. There are lots of locations you can choose that haven't been pressured.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    That's great advise. I think your overthinking this just a bit. You most likely won't be spotting goats from salt. Possible but unlikely in Sept/oct. Mt Reid does have logging road. Make sure you have a dry set of clothes at the boat for your run back to town. FYI flying in doesn't equate to lack of nice goats. There are lots of locations you can choose that haven't been pressured.
    I hear there are so much of the mistys that are just an untapped resource with sections that never see humans. Looking forward to heading there one day.

Bighorse - I just meant it would be the craps to hike all the way from the salt only to find another hunter had walked up from a lake. I know it happens but we are just trying to avoid it. Yes, most likely over-thinking this but just trying to cover our bases.

Thanks a bunch so far guys. Even had one offer to hold the gun cases, thats great!

We will take the following advice and still welcome any more!

Thanks again,
    Jason

Not many hunters hike in from sea level, but I've known of a few .... spotting from the bays in the Misty could be possible but many Goats live in a ways from the bay.

Actually Goat hunting in the Misty is pretty light with many lakes to choose from and bays to hike up from.

No roads over there ... its wilderness.

I would have a Sat phone along in case a Bear decided to take a bite of your inflatable while you were up on top. The Bears are still out.

Muskeg, sat phone is in the kit but our plan is to moor the boat to hopefully avoid the bear probs. Thanks for the response.

How much time do you have available for the trip?
    Alpine is awesome...

It will be October, you are asking to see your maker if you want to run across east beam in a zodiac any time of year yet alone October. Running up Carroll is safer, but the goats are a long hike away from salt. If you can get a wheeler it would make life easier. There is a lot if realastate to cover before you hit goat country. If you want to hunt the fjords and money isn't an issue fly or get a bigger boat to transport you. Even Carroll has some lakes you can drop into. Populations are strong but access is a challenge. Hope things work, PM me if you have any ?, willing to help life long islander.

Forgot to metion, crowds won't be a problem. There isn't a whole lot of people that enjoy hard hunting in the rain. You find something that feels right go with it. I've never ran into another hunter when I've persued goat.

We arrive in KTN 27Sep and Dep 8Oct.

Thanks for the safety tips for Behm! I will PM you when I get some more specifics.

Timbercruzr I sent you a PM. And others as well.

Thanks a bunch for the info fellas.

PM sent. hope to t helps