Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270 Weatherby for Alaska what do you think?

Default 270 Weatherby for Alaska what do you think?

I'm building a 270 Weatherby for elk hunting here in Colo. What do you think of this cartridge for Alaska?

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Before moving up here in the 1970's I received "good" advice that they were worthless. I had a dandy custom at the time, and sold it before the move. Biggest mistake I ever made! Bought a Wby after missing it a couple of years, but I missed the original too much to ever be happy with the Wby sub. Flat shooting, and with a well-built bullet really versatile. I wouldn't take on a big bear with it, but for anything else I'd be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    I'm building a 270 Weatherby for elk hunting here in Colo. What do you think of this cartridge for Alaska?

Silver Tip
    I'm thinking with a good bullet I'd like it...like a 140gr AB or 150gr TSX with a tight twist barrel. Flat shooting....I'd think it'd make a great caribou, goat and sheep gun.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I'm thinking with a good bullet I'd like it....
    Can't say about the others, but it was exceptionally good in my day with the 150 Partitions. Any "improvement" over that performance won't hurt at all.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I like to think that my 7mm Weatherby is plenty gun for Alaska.

The 270 Weatherby performance shouldn't be a whole lot different, but I dunno???

I use 160 to 175 grain bullets. I hunt with 160 Grain Nosler Partitions.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My dear ole' Dad sluiced a big bull caribou up on the slope with my 270 WBY this year. He was shooting my hand loads with 130 partitions cruising along at 3500fps. The caribou was impressed to say the least, if you could have picked him up by the back feet you could have poured his lungs out his nose, pure soup. I wouldn't hesitate to use that rifle and load on anything we have up here. I've seen brown bear killed with 270wcfs, not ideal but it worked, use good bullets and slay some critters.

270 Wby in AK

Back in the 80's I used a 270 WCF down in Cold Bay for Caribou. Shooting 150 Gr Partions it worked great on shots from 80 out to 350 yds. The Wby version is more velocity and I would use the 160 Gr Partions (SD .328) if the barrel twist is enough to stabilize it. Woodliegh makes a 180 Gr if you want more weight and have a fast enough twist rate. While I would not hunt Big Bears with it I would be comfortable enough if I had to use it. My Buddy used a Wby 270 donwn in SE on goats with 150's and it worked great. If you are building the rifle you can get a barrel with a little faster twist and have a more usefull rifle. Did I mention I like heavey bullets??? Hope this helps!

Question on AOD- I'm looking for a good rifle for my wife and daughter
    AOD answer- Can't go wrong with a good 7-08 with 140gr bullets.

Question on AOD- I'm a guy looking for a good rifle for Alaska
    AOD - yes you need at a minimum 30 cal magnum even then that is minimum caliber for alaska.30-06 barely makes the cut. Matter of fact go buy a 375 Ruger or 338rcm.

You guys are a hoot! Load that 270 weatherby up with 140gr accubond or 150gr partition and go have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Question on AOD- I'm looking for a good rifle for my wife and daughter
    AOD answer- Can't go wrong with a good 7-08 with 140gr bullets.

Question on AOD- I'm a guy looking for a good rifle for Alaska
    AOD - yes you need at a minimum 30 cal magnum even then that is minimum caliber for alaska.30-06 barely makes the cut. Matter of fact go buy a 375 Ruger or 338rcm.
    For anybody to honestly believe saying that only shows their high degree of ignorance......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    For anybody to honestly believe saying that only shows their high degree of ignorance......
    Ah boo hoo probably because you said it before... Next thing you know you will threaten to drive to anchorage beat me up got it. Your super bad ass and super cool. The truth those questions have been asked and answered so many times on this forum it isn't funny. I can go in and do search and prove my point but why waste the time your the same clown who swears colorado is a great state.

My, my ,my aren't we upset. Yes Colorado sucks right now....let's get rid of all the liberal politicians and get back to why I moved here nearly 40 years ago. Bye the way this is about shooting and rifles not politics!

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

My, my ,my aren't we upset. Yes Colorado sucks right now....let's get rid of all the liberal politicians and get back to why I moved here nearly 40 years ago. Bye the way this is about shooting and rifles not politics!

Silver Tip
    Well Mr. Silver Tip ... Thanks for the heads up on this forum being about shooting rifles and not politics.... Your the one talking about politics not me go re-read my post.... I read your and you said "let's get rid of all the liberal politicians" well heck I quoted you so you can see what you wrote you silly goose..... No I don't like colorado cause too many people here and you Coloradans don't know how to drive you residents think yield means stop you don't know how to merge just all around ****ty drivers.

I have shot Dahl sheep, caribou, black bears, and moose in Alaska with a .270 Winchester. They all fell dead. That said, I have recently been doing my firearm moose hunting with a .375 H&H and a .416 Remington. Shoot with a gun you like and are accurate with. Use good quality bullets designed for the game you are hunting.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

How about stuffing it with 140 grain Barnes X bullets and making a bunch of gut piles. Always a bigger choice if your chasing excited brown bears out of the pucker brush on a regular basis, but most of us don' do that. My Dad used 140 grain Nosler Partitions out of his old Pre-64 Mod. 70 .264 Win. Mag. on many a moose and caribou with great results, but most were lung shots. I don't think a moose or caribou would know if they were shot with a .270 Weatherby or a .264 Win. Mag. and that Barnes X is a tougher bullet then the old and wonderful Partition.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    ...a .270 Weatherby or a .264 Win. Mag....
    A fine comparison. I never felt the powders available in their heyday let them live up to their velocity potential. All these new slow powders available today sure put a gleam into my eye when I contemplate either of them. I zonked a couple of elk with an original 264 M70 back in the early 1970's and sure admired the results. Kind of inspired me to try the WBY, and I still regret letting both go down the road. Might be time to remedy that one of these days, and that could be a very good thing.

I know I didn't put on my original post. BUT some one has brought it up. I've never used Barnes TSX bullets, been a Nosler partition guy. Do you all really think the TSX is head and shoulders above partition bullets??? I'm not convinced and the copper fouling seems to me to be a big problem.

Silver Tip

I know I didn't put on my original post. BUT some one has brought it up. I've never used Barnes TSX bullets, been a Nosler partition guy. Do you all really think the TSX is head and shoulders above partition bullets??? I'm not convinced and the copper fouling seems to me to be a big problem.

Silver Tip
    It's been my experience that the TSX will copper foul some barrels... is it better than a Partition? Not in my opinion but at 270WBY speeds they are an effective hunting bullet provided your rifle shoots them well.

I've had rifles that shot them well and I've had rifles that didn't...but a 270WBY with a Partition, Accubond or a TSX that it likes is almost certainly going to be a killing machine.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My experience with TSX bullet and Partitions tells me that if you can get them to shoot, the TSX will be a lot easier on the eating parts. At the velocity you'll be getting with the 270wby the front half of a partition is pretty explosive, I've had caliber size exits with them in the 270 Winchester. Granted there was plenty of wreckage in between but the small exit tells me the front half is expanding and shearing off, which is what it's designed to do. TSX bullets will have no problems expanding at the speeds we're talking about and I've never seen them give the jello effect that partitions and other softer bullets produce at high speed.

Silver Tip
    Different bullets do different things and there's little use in condemning a bullet that acts as it is designed. That being said, IME, TSXs perform best with the highest velocity possible and are "better" than NPTs in that application. For example, this fall I used a .284 120 grain TSX with a mv of 3750ish. My shot came at 8 yards and the bullet penetrated something like 4' of moose; I wasn't surprised with that kind of performance with that light bullet. That's what TSXs are deigned to do. The only "failures" I've seen with various TSXs is from heavier than necessary bullets with the commensurate slower velocity. That's not to say that they are better than NPTs in every cartridge for every kinda game, but for high velocity cartridges they're tough to beat. Considering a .270 Weatherby, I'd be thinking about the 110 TTSX for most critters and nothing heavier than the 129 LRX or 130 (T)TSXs for the largest of game. One other thought, TSXs like bone and I normally aim for just that when using them.

I'm one of those foolish guys that use lots of different bullets in lots of different rifles/cartridges, but when pushing the velocity as high as you're considering the TSX & TTSX would be among the only choices I'd accept for hunting game animals.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

"hunting bullets" ... an interesting topic in today's world of shooting components - it IS NOT the '70's anymore - I am with the proponents of the TSX/TTSX bullets plus there are ETips and GMX's to consider as well (GOSH ! those GMX are long ones) Here is food for thought, I would expect Alaska to be on the far end of the list though, here in Oregon (the "new" California) I smell the writing on the wall about lead bullets, the (very liberal and pro-wolf) ODFW has already put out an internet questionnaire for opinion feedback, I see "us" going to non lead projectiles sooner rather than later, don't like it but it's appears to be the "way of the future" at least hereabouts - TSX's don't foul any worse than another in a rough bore and I'm really liking the TTSX so far, accuracy AND terminal performance - I have not killed anything with the Nosler ETip but they SEEM to be a hot or cold situation for accuracy - a Nosler insider tells me they agree on the non-lead thing and think they've created the perfect mouse trap with the ETip, we'll see (but I think they are still working on the design quietly) As for the Accubond, if you read the overview on the Nosler website, the description explains that they were designed to "fly" EXACTLY like a ballistic tip and "act" EXACTLY like a Partition - between Barnes and Nosler I doubt one could not find a bullet to satisfy needs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast