Thread: My 2014 DIY alaska moose hunt

Default My 2014 DIY alaska moose hunt

This my story of a DIY moose hunt, We arrived at our drop camp on august 31, after setting up our tent and collecting water & wood. We climbed up to a lookout hill to check for moose the last 4 hours before dark. What we saw over the next 4 hours was very encouraging 8 Bulls , 6 cows, 3 grizz and 10 caribou. we were really excited for the openerDSCN0019.jpgDSCN0003.jpg
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

On days 1 thru 4 there were many bulls spotted and stalked my buddy was wanting a moose with bow, There was one group of 4 bulls we glassed every day in the same general area, It was driving my buddy crazy that we did not go check them out, so finally on the 4th morning when they showed again I said lets go look, well we got within about 300 yards of these bulls , only probleem was they were 3 miles from base camp &the runway, He tried talking me into " there not that far from camp, we could do it " coming from someone who had nver harvested a moose or had to pack one out.DSCN0021.jpg

Day 5, we are up at first light drinking a cup of coffee when I spot a bull right across from camp grunt & stop him but he keeps on going, decide to had to a new lookout this morning, we hike about 1 mile above camp & spot 3 bulls togther almost right away , we take off to try & cut them off, We arrive as the first bull comes out of alders, guess he is around 47" grunt to stop him & second bull responds from alders we call back & forth , he comes out looking for a fight. can only get him to about 150 yards we are caught in the open spruces. Guess him in the 50's He decides time to leave, my buddy decides to take my rifle 340 weatherby @ 275 yards one shot 54"DSCN0031.jpg

Harvested him at 8 am 1.1 miles from camp after butchering we each took 4 trips to camp & we had complete moose antlers & cape packed out 10:45 pmDSCN0043.jpgNeedless to say after packing this moose 1.1 miles he said he was glad I talked him out of the bulls 3 miles from camp

It sounds like you were in a game rich area and you had a great hunt! Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I agree, 1 mile from camp is far enough to pack a moose

Day 6 , We both woke up rather sore from packing out his moose out the day before, I was out having coffee when I spotted a bull about 1.5 miles above camp, I threw on my boots & grabbed my packe to try cut them off. I hiked up to where I thought they were headed, got there there no moose glassed for awhile ,nothing decided to head in direction I last saw him, Spotted a big rock about a mile south of me ,hike over there climbed rock to check , Bingo, see 5 moose about quarter mile away, 3 bulls 1 looks pretty good, pull out spotter to check him out 4 brows on one side. Wind is really bad so he catches my wind & goes back the other direction, eventually all the other moose follow. decide to head back towards camp, meet up with my buddy about a mile above camp. We decide what the heck lets go look in the drainage they all went into maybe they did not just pass thru, so bak to the south another 1.5 miles Get up on high ridge on one side of alder/ spruce drainage, see nothing. start walking up ridgee when we spot antlers in the alders, 3 bulls all in a group only see bit & pcs of moose, Finally they get nervous & start moving & step in an opening I see 4 brow bull & another bull standing together, They start moving again I cow call to stop, verify right bull & shoot. 200 yards DSCN0055.jpgHit him a little far back, I saw him come out the alders heading up the other ridge estimated the holdover & shot bringing him down 503 yardsDSCN0076.jpgI spotted this bull at 6:30 am & chased all morning until harvesting at 11:00 am 1.5 miles from camp after butchering we managed one load each for this day especially after our marathon pack the day before

Day 7 was spent packing out the remaining moose back to camp, We were once again able to do it in 4 trips each, We both had some sore feet & body's after those 3 daysDSCN0107.jpgDSCN0136.jpg

Sounds like an awesome hunt 10PTBUCK. I hope you are getting a lot of the meat back to WI. Beautiful country. I love all the smiles. Hard work carrying moose long distance is hard, but fun, after a successful hunt.

The remaining days were spent enjoying moose steaks on the fire, looking & playing with moose. We did have one more exciting moment we had spotted a wolf up high so we decided to hike up & try to find him, we were hiking thru a stand of spruce trees my buddy was about 20 yards in front me when I heard a twigs snap & a loud growl/roar & a grizz was headed straight at him, he yelled & ran, it turned right at me was trying to get gun off shoulder & shell in chamber when he passed at 3 yards, needless to say we both were a little shaken, A bear ended up raiding our meat pole on the last night. DSCN0144.jpgDSCN0096.jpg
    It ended up as a great adventure with the harvest of 2 bull moose 54 & 52, plus we were able to spend 11 days in the alaskan bush

We are shipping 1 complete moose back to wi VIA alaska meat express

What a great hunt and thanks for sharing with us. You guys look like you know what you are doing. Cant wait to go next year.

Cool story and nice bull! Your trophy is in good hands with Charlie.
    Last edited by 379 Peterbilt; 09-22-2014 at 06:03. Reason: Tie poz

Thanks for the report. No moose for me this year, so I'm enjoying reading the stories of all the successful hunts!

Thanks for taking the time to give us the great report! Congrats! Mind telling us who did your fly out?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Swift fork air,, fairbanks

Looks like they put you in the right spot
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Sounds like a great adventure, thanks for sharing. Congrat's