Thread: Got a question about cabin life in Alaska?

Default Got a question about cabin life in Alaska?

This maybe a stupid question but do most people have some sort of job or do most live off of the land?

Jobs....
    BK

Jobs, retirement, or trust fund.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Welfare, Faked Back injury (Workmans Compensation), Professional thief (Robbing other cabins and homes), drug manufacturing, drug sales.........Trapping, guiding, raising and selling sled dogs, white water rafting business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Jobs, retirement, or trust fund.

I meant no disrespect or anything like that I hope everyone knows that. Just considering being so remote for some I was just wondering if it was even possible to have some sort of 8 to 5 job.

Quite a few people in Alaska don't work 8-5 jobs. There are oil field workers that work 2 weeks on, and then get 2 weeks off, commercial fishermen that can be gone for long stretches at a time and then have long periods of time off, and then people that are either independently wealthy, or who have taken a vow of poverty and get by working odd jobs, etc. And some people do work a more regular schedule and just use a cabin as a weekend or vacation get away.

Not a disrespectful question at all.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for the insight. I would love to just live day to day but in this world not just that easy. I wouldn't want any hand outs but just work enough to survive. Thanks

It is a lot easier to do.........if you don't need all the trappings of city life in your cabin lifestyle. If your willing to live a rustic cabin life you don't need a lot of money. The problem is that what people want is everything from the city, but in an isolated location. If you are willing to live with a "DRY" one room cabin it does not take much.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I would love to just live day to day but in this world not just that easy. I wouldn't want any hand outs but just work enough to survive. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It is a lot easier to do.........if you don't need all the trappings of city life in your cabin lifestyle. If your willing to live a rustic cabin life you don't need a lot of money. The problem is that what people want is everything from the city, but in an isolated location. If you are willing to live with a "DRY" one room cabin it does not take much.
    That is so true. I have a shack in the breaks along the river. I built it and had to carry and pull all materials in by foot. I can spend days there and love it but my wife isn't a cabin person. She doesn't care when I go or how long I stay which is a good thing. I do have some lone wolf in me and like to be away from people. Don't get me wrong I do like people but don't like to be around them all the time.

Sounds like heaven to me! Pretty understanding wife too!