Thread: Wanton waste on the rippy trail

Default Wanton waste on the rippy trail

Anyone have information on the stupid a-holes who shot a cow and illegal bull on the rippy trail / maud road please contact the troopers. Left to waste... Breaks my heart.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Why would anyone do that!? Sad.

My wife and I discovered that bull yesterday afternoon and made a report with the troopers. Probably a long shot but I hope the pieces of s#% t get what they deserve. This animal could have filled a needy family's freezer had the shooter turned themselves in. Now they better pray they don't get caught

I can only hope the story is public when karma catches up to that.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Sad, I watched that bull for about 10 minutes last week just enjoying seeing a bull moose after I saw he wasn't legal. Hope the bastids get the clap.

Stuff like this happens most every year in this area. Some do get caught, but most do not. It is sad that there are not more people that will 'own up' to mistakes and they do happen. I have wondered if stuff like this happens just for 'thrill' killing, as I do not think that 'true' hunters would just leave the animal to rot!

Default No Surprise

I have also once reported two such violations on one morning, and have witnessed an appalling number overall in the decades I have advocated for responsible management in that area.

The KRPUA law enforcement scheme was severely weakened in the legislature by folks that wanted it to stay ".. like it used to be" (Sen. Charlie Huggins in the Frontiersman newspaper as he declared "..war.." on conservationists that long ago realized excessive abuses in the Knik needed quelled with the high use and headline making 'idiot per capita' ratio. In a bow to political influences, DNR ran an unbelievably errant process, now undeniably on the record. Prior recommendations and expensive publicly funded plans were discarded. The Rippy Trail history itself was lied about by special interest groups and those lies accepted by DNR as they incorporated this route, crucial to the health of Jim Swan Wetlands, into to an unenforceable future (LE and F&G concur).
    Prime habitat with everything from salmon and swans to Dall sheep will continue to degrade unless this situation is improved immensely. A legislative hearing, plan rewrite, or corrective court action will be necessary.

Conservationists, having dropped the ball in not entirely standing up to a correctable situation, are near as remiss as the State in the fate of this resource.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I can only hope the story is public when karma catches up to that.
    I want it to catch up HARD!

Unfortunately it's not just the KRPUA where this kind lowlife stuff happens. I do hope they get what's coming to them whether bad luck or the police or for that matter both.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Unfortunately it's not just the KRPUA where this kind lowlife stuff happens. .................. ..
    You are certainly correct, and yet a difference is HB307 language specific to this infamous area, subsequent extensive and very expensive planning efforts, and heightened enforcement efforts were supposedly to be of significant value in diminishing the too frequent incidents the Knik has a bad reputation for - loads of money spent for ....??
    So far (5+ yrs. and five managers later), enduring change for habitat and effective enforcement remains elusive. Boots on the ground are yet to measure up, sadly, when it comes to the sheer number of violators abusing this place of extraordinary value.

Sure hope these yahoos get busted big! I have in my estimation seen greater frequency per capita of waste and poaching in the Knik than anyplace else, hands down.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Default Wanton waste on the rippy trail

There's also a pile of meat directly across where the main stem leaving the Pavilion parking lot first hits the main area. Shoulder, ribs, neck.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Saw that one too.. It's a cow.

You sure? Skull got a buzz cut.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I know of several that were left to rot on the Kenai. Hope the losers who did it get what's coming to them.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.