Thread: Kenai experience

Default Kenai experience

I'm a newbie to the board,so thanks for the access.Been coming to the great state of Ak for a lot of years and had an experience this summer that Id like someone to enlighten me on.I realize that the debate over "snagging" has been beat to death over the years,and I also know that at the right time of the year there are so many reds that there is no reason for it.So Im in no way advocating snagging.I had 2 fish on a string and got checked by an officer.One of the fish was hooked under the lower lip,but the hook did not technically enter the mouth.He confiscated both fish,with no citation.(Which I thanked him whole-heartedly for.)The next day I did my own test.I foul hooked 10 fish in the process of harvesting my 3.Two of the ten were released almost dead,and floated downstream.I love Alaska and that river but someone explain to me how that is better than just getting your 3 or 6 and going back to camp???

Like you said it has been beat to death. The short answer is symantics. And even though there may appear to be a lot of
    reds in the river, it is a long way from over escapement to the point it causes spawning issues. If you tweak your set up you find you foul hook a lot less fish, sending you home that much sooner.

I admit that I fish with a longer leader than most,and we know what that usually leads to,but I do try to tweak it according to the conditions.We didn't get that monster pulse this year that weve been spoiled with the last couple years,but on some of those 100,000 plus days its hard to keep from it.

Quote Originally Posted by elliott1 View Post
    Two of the ten were released almost dead,and floated downstream.
    Shouldn't have been almost dead after snagging. Look into how to revive tired fish and you won't see that again.

Landing a foul hooked red can be difficult at times. One suggestion is that if you know you have foul hooked a fish, point the rod at the fish and pull back to either pull the hook or break it off. A quick point and pull will more times than not pop the hook out, if you have to break off you are out a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    Landing a foul hooked red can be difficult at times. One suggestion is that if you know you have foul hooked a fish, point the rod at the fish and pull back to either pull the hook or break it off. A quick point and pull will more times than not pop the hook out, if you have to break off you are out a fly.
    This. Exactly. Horse the fish in or point the rod at the fish and pull. use adequetly heavy gear and don't play them out if you think there is a chance they are foul hooked. I don't think I have ever released a foul(or legally mouth hooked) sockeye and had it float down stream.

I do appreciate the comments and the advice,and I do try to always "pop off" a foul hooked fish.This was just one of those days.It just so happened that it was the day after I got chastised for fudging a little.Anyway....thanks again for board access and look forward to future discussions.