Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't winterize the kayak yet... Homer Kings

Default Don't winterize the kayak yet... Homer Kings

lol. The GREAT news is the kayaks take very little winterization! Makes it easy to hit up these feeder kings in late fall and winter during a break in the weather. MUCH easier than those beautiful 26ft plus dual outboard heated cabin boats I secretly lust for!

The fishing is apparently better much further off shore but you can still scratch out a few in lower cook inlet close to shore. It makes me chuckle to think I used to combat fish for kings. A) these saltwater fish are premium in terms of meat quality. B) There is never anyone else around. I would welcome more particiaption in a large bay!!

Darn cool,, I like it.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Very nice! Thanks for the heads up.

Great video! I saw you on saturday and it looked like you were having a great time. I'm glad you found them. I tried over near seldovia for a couple hours. Didn't get anything so caught some rockfish and halibut instead. Saw you around 4 near the green can. I was in the big red inflatable. Almost stopped to see how you were faring.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    Great video! I saw you on saturday and it looked like you were having a great time. I'm glad you found them. I tried over near seldovia for a couple hours. Didn't get anything so caught some rockfish and halibut instead. Saw you around 4 near the green can. I was in the big red inflatable. Almost stopped to see how you were faring.
    Thx all. Definitely stop by next time and say hello. Lots of bait but lots of pollocj too. Should pick up all through November! My salmon season just started! Lol.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

What kind of bait you using out there? Incoming tide or outgoing? I dont have a sea Kayak, but you're making me want to get one!

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    What kind of bait you using out there? Incoming tide or outgoing? I don't have a sea Kayak, but you're making me want to get one!
    I am telling ya (no bias..lol) these things are the ULTIMATE individual fishing platforms! Takes the place of my friends float tubes, pontoon, canoe, drift boat, AND ocean going boat! I recommend a sit on top kayak and a paddling suit. Not a traditional sit inside sea kayak.

In that area, I fish the outgoing tide. i think that water flow pins the bait up against the shore. If you look at a depth chart, the contour line runs along land's end hotel out to about the mid way point of the condos. then it heads out towards the buoy. That "corner" at various depths is a great spot. Here's a good charting app online. Click on the sonar wavy thing on the bottom left to get better detail. zoom out and find the spit http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

You can't use bait or downriggers near the tip of the spit right now because there are just too many pollock. I use a deep six, to a flasher, to needlefish hoochies. I have a write up here: https://sites.google.com/site/kayakf...shery---how-to

I think if you had surfcasting rods and gave it a go, you could catch a king if you didn't mind sorting through about 50 pollock for every king. But they are there.

I have a 12ft Old Town Vapor Angler, I added lots of stuff for fishing, rod holders, cargo cords, etc. The other day we went down the Kenai from Cooper Landing to Jim's, it was a challenge with that type of boat. My buddy had a 10.5 Perception. We knew what we were up against, usually doing it in a raft. The weather was epic and we were prepared for some wet boats! Recommend whitewater boats unless you really know the river! Our boats are not meant to be swift water boats, get the right kind for the water.

On that note: I'd like to try those winter kings! I was paddling around the spit this summer in the Vapor, it's better suited for a lake, but not bad near shore in the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I am telling ya (no bias..lol) these things are the ULTIMATE individual fishing platforms! Takes the place of my friends float tubes, pontoon, canoe, drift boat, AND ocean going boat! I recommend a sit on top kayak and a paddling suit. Not a traditional sit inside sea kayak.

In that area, I fish the outgoing tide. i think that water flow pins the bait up against the shore. If you look at a depth chart, the contour line runs along land's end hotel out to about the mid way point of the condos. then it heads out towards the buoy. That "corner" at various depths is a great spot. Here's a good charting app online. Click on the sonar wavy thing on the bottom left to get better detail. zoom out and find the spit http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

You can't use bait or downriggers near the tip of the spit right now because there are just too many pollock. I use a deep six, to a flasher, to needlefish hoochies. I have a write up here: https://sites.google.com/site/kayakf...shery---how-to

I think if you had surfcasting rods and gave it a go, you could catch a king if you didn't mind sorting through about 50 pollock for every king. But they are there.
    Hey, I'll keep some pollock, thats good eating! I mean, that's what they make filet-o-fish from, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    I have a 12ft Old Town Vapor Angler, I added lots of stuff for fishing, rod holders, cargo cords, etc. The other day we went down the Kenai from Cooper Landing to Jim's, it was a challenge with that type of boat. My buddy had a 10.5 Perception. We knew what we were up against, usually doing it in a raft. The weather was epic and we were prepared for some wet boats! Recommend whitewater boats unless you really know the river! Our boats are not meant to be swift water boats, get the right kind for the water.

On that note: I'd like to try those winter kings! I was paddling around the spit this summer in the Vapor, it's better suited for a lake, but not bad near shore in the ocean.
    Nice!!

I have taken my 9 ft mini-x (paddle sit on top) and my Hobie Outback (13ft Pedal kayak) on the upper Kenai. Both worked great! The Upper was a tad too shallow for my Hobie. I could only use the pedal drive about a third of the time. I agree these kayaks without thigh straps are not the ideal craft but I have yet to have an issue with them in both flood stage and super skinny water on the Upper kenai. Too many people right now...give it another month! lol.

However, I do think my pedal kayak has the potential to revolutionize the non motorized days on the Lower Kenai...but that is another story....

Homer Spit kings are good for kayaks due to the natural wind block the spit makes from the East winds. I don't know how many times I have gone down after a forecast of 4 to 5 footers and found it to be glass calm right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    Hey, I'll keep some pollock, thats good eating! I mean, that's what they make filet-o-fish from, right?
    The Pollock right there are pretty clean. But yah, that's what fish sticks and fillet o fish are made out of. You just have to get past the worms. Even the clean ones have them. Commercial fillets have all been "candled" (worms picked out over a light table). I'm a pretty hard core meat fisherman who loves white fish....I don't keep them. But I can see if I had a boat that I could make a quick few strokes and soak the fillets in saltwater or something that would naturally de-worm them, i would consider it. My parents LOVE the pollock. They are a good eating fish.

Kardinal,
    I'm on the same brain-wave as you! I too have a nice ocean boat, my favorite accessory on it is the kayak roof rack, if ya get my drift! I love kayaking!
    I use to have about five different inflatable kayaks I would travel with (not at the same time of course...) they got sand in the hotel rooms. I rented a "Trident" brand sit on top angler kayak in New Zealand last year, incredible boat!!!

I get excited about kayaking when I read about your adventures, thanks for posting!

Ok...had to try again. Good news...a LOT fewer pollock. Bad news...no big kings. But I did manage another dozen smaller shakers. I wish I wouldn't catch so many of them. These fish are a lot softer than "river" salmon and the 4/0 hooks on these little guys can tear them up when they fight a kayak and a 11 inch flasher. I could have done a better job on the release.

Here's a 3 minute, minimally edited video just to document the conditions and the strikes. It's only in 480P for easier uploading. The little kings sure hit hard. No mistaking it versus a pollock. makes your heart jump but they need to grow a year or two more!

Weather was beautiful until I ran out of batteries. It was a pretty wild and wet rodeo after 1pm.

Tried again off a kayak. Managed a small keeper and a bunch of shakers. A few boats picked up some nice fish close. Pollock are a lot thinner...

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Crappy but obligatory video since I did shoot some footage. Sorry the text stuff got misaligned. The small 6 pounder I kept I didn't get on video. as a perspective, I don't think any of the fish I landed on video were more than two pounds.

Argh....tried again for a few hours Saturday. I had LOTS of company which was actually pretty cool. There were a few times I had to change course to avoid vessels but that's pretty much a first. I wonder if all the boats were there because they were actually catching something. If I had nice boats like that, I think I'd cruise a little further. I even saw One sit inside kayak who caught a nice king and a more of a rowing kayak as well. AWESOME!!!

Well there is no doubt that bait, pollock AND kings are super abundant. But for some reason, the kings are averaging 20" or less. But as I look back on my logs, my larger fish last year were in the month of November so I still have one full month of good open water salmon fishing left! WOOOOT!!!!

Ok. I need to upgrade my camera. Video quality is beginning to suffer. I also need to take along a dehooker that I can unhook these kings while in the water. Remember, You can't take kings over 20" out of the water if you are releasing them.

Because I only caught small fish, once again the video is for posterity's sake. Being lazy, I just took the first 14 minutes off my gopro and condensed it into 2 minutes and 10 seconds. Score at the end of 14 minutes. Small kings = 5, pollock 2. All on a silver horde coho killer spoon. That's two fish a minute. The action was pretty much like that all day. I am a little concerned about how many of the smaller fish I am hooking. Fighting them against a 11 inch flasher and 4/0 hooks tend to tear them up a bit. These kings are softer than the kings you find in-river.

I did keep two of the larger fish. 24 inches maybe....
    Not sure why the photo is B&W...
    hH3nDr-9O2A_N3ADmsaI2UDeIf6LW3IuPUK6yBldHYk=w1090-h905-no.jpg

Made the drive. That was no fun. Snow and ice in the pass and from Ninilchik to Homer. On the way back I ran into a blizzard from the Seward Junction all the way to the Whittier junction. Crazy. Hands hurt from holding on to the steering wheel so tight! lol.

What a difference a week makes. Only one undersized king and three pollock. That has to be some kind of record. Went two for two on real sized kings...only because my first fish was suicidal. Missed it twice. I have no idea why that leader was so long. Also, I know you can't net across your body like I did...or at least I can't.

The other crazy thing was I fished herring for over half of the time and still, all three of my kings came on a silver horde coho killer spoon behind a classic dodger. The other piece of gear that struck out was the konezone flasher in chartreuse. I cannot catch anything with one it seems like. I know others have great success with them. Hmmm...

19 and 12 lbs fish on the boca grips...

So here's the video. Didn't get my second keeper on video due to operator error. Argh!

OK! One more time!!!!!

Well you know its prime time for winter kings so I gotta keep trying. Left the house at 4am after checking road conditions. Whittier Junction to Seward Junction was Yellow (caution). Caution? I donít think so. That road should have been closed. Right after the restrooms after the first climb, the road was black ice. I knew it was slick so I was only going about 35mph. I decide to check the road, tap the breaksÖthe car speeds up. WHAT? Thatís not good. Hit the breaks again and with anti lock breaks, it didnít even remotely slow down. I fishtailed down the road for what felt like an eternity. How I stayed on the road, I have no idea.

Ok, the fishing. Get there an hour late around 9am. I immediately get a few good strikes but canít connect. Then over the course of 5 hours, I go 0ífer 2 on real kings. I manage 4 or 5 jacks and a couple of pollock. I am ready to call it a day at 2pm.

Tide changes at 3pm and Shane from Driftwood Charters texts ďNEVER leave as the tide is changing!Ē. So I take a quick break and back on the water at 3pm. From 3:30 to 4:30pm, I had 6 or 7 solid takedowns and managed to go 3 for 3 of the ones I hooked. I had strikes on hoochies, but all three were caught on the SilverHorde Coho Killer spoon behind a dodger. I didnít use bait, but I would consider carrying some. As long as you stay away from the front of the hotel, the pollock have thinned out. I caught make 4 all day.

Average size was small. 12, 8, and 6 pounds. Still perseverance once again pays off.

Not sure how many more times I will hit it. Just canít stay away if there are fish to be caught. Usually by early December, the fish get fewer and farther between.

Ok, so here is the video. It was raining on and off so sorry about the water spots.

I gotta hand it to ya.........you're doing a great job...!!!

I'm curious how deep you're fishing. Was just wondering, with what seems to be an abundance of fish, if a guy could use light gear and just toss out the silver horde? Would seem like great fun....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I gotta hand it to ya.........you're doing a great job...!!!

I'm curious how deep you're fishing. Was just wondering, with what seems to be an abundance of fish, if a guy could use light gear and just toss out the silver horde? Would seem like great fun....
    LOL. You are thinking exactly what I was thinking. I will say that for these fish, I am MEAT fishing. These kings are AWESOME! Growing up on the Kenai River, I would take a 10 pounder of these fish over a 30 pounder in-river! BUT you are absolutely right. This gear is overkill. The main reason i use this set up is its the same set up I use in the spring time for my King/halibut trolling combo. Right now for these kings you can scale way down. Well at least I thought that until Josh started landing some nice halibut recently.

I was thinking about taking my 4 weight, extended the leader some when the fishing was good and cheat by using the down rigger to troll the spoon. I'm not 100% sold that a flasher/dodger is required. Maybe when you need to fill the boat with 4 limits but maybe not if you are fishing for fun. That would be a kick in the pants. Even the jacks would seem like solid monster trout!

The fish were found between 20ft and 60ft of water for the most part. My sinker was down about 15 to 20ft. Now that the pollock are gone, I may go back to using my down rigger. Much better depth control. But if I ever get these fish dialed in, it is something I want to try! I have enough fish I think...my parents could use a few more kings for sashimi. Maybe I will give it a go!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast