Thread: No moose, again!

Smile No moose, again!

Spent 10 days with my bride looking for the wily Alaskan moose. We could not find a legal bull any where around Big Delta. Had trailer bearing and tire problems that were a royal pain and lost some hunting time because of it. Saw a ton of spruce grouse and a few ruffled grouse, but left them for some one else. No bear sign and one set of wolf tracks. It was so hot for days, which probably did not help. My wife and me are coming up on 40 years of moose hunting together and we sure don't have the energy we used to. We still enjoy it and are already thinking of next year and look forward to it. I did bring 50 lbs. of bison burger back from Big Delta and the freezer is full of halibut, ling cod, rock fish and salmon so we ain't complaining. We had lots of fun!

Aside from the 40 years part my wife and I just got home from what sounds like an identical trip. She drew an any bull permit for unit 16b but we were unable to get dropped off due to an unexpected cancelation by our pilot. So we made the best of it and went to a friends cabin in unit 13. We didn't even see a moose let alone a legal bull, but we had a great time and I got to watch as she shot her first squirrel, ruffed grouse, and spruce hen with her 10/22 I got her for Christmas a couple years back. Can't wait for next year.

man, there is a lot of that going around this year. I have been out nearly every day since opener. I have passed on a spike (in three bears parking lot which didn't seem right), passed on what I figure to be about a 48", seen about 40 cows and calves, and last week saw a fork in 20D.

This week I am either going to try and solo hunt up baldy or fly out into 16B.

Only having 5 grouse and 19 salmon in the freezer I am hoping that my hail mary works!

The day we left my daughter sent me a picture of a spike/fork standing in our drive way. Same one I saw a few days earlier. I am going to research what bow will fit my 6' 3" carcass the best and become at least a part time bow hunter. May change my handle to "Robin"!

I feel your pain, work and child medical issues have cut this season down to the weekend we just had. My son and I hiked in about 2 miles and called and glassed the whole time. Saw one cow in a slough along the road on the way up and maybe heard two grunts the whole weekend. I don't own a boat or ATV so every season has been just as productive as this one, but I am too stubborn to quit. Kinda thinking about the bow thing too.

Just got back last night from 11 days out with my dad, brother, and niece. Didn't bring home any moose either, but it was an awesome trip. My niece had never been hunting and my dad was happy to be out in the woods. They made some memories that are priceless, and I don't begrudge the moose for not joining our party. The only one we saw was a cow along the highway. My dad's already scheming for next year... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The day we left my daughter sent me a picture of a spike/fork standing in our drive way. Same one I saw a few days earlier. I am going to research what bow will fit my 6' 3" carcass the best and become at least a part time bow hunter. May change my handle to "Robin"!
    Oh gawd, that hurts. We had two small bulls in the school yard this AM. I couldn't tell whether they were legal or not, as I had no binocs, but it sure was a tease!
    My young son and I were joking this morning on our way to school that the mooses were up at our hunting camp high-fiving each other for another year of successful evasion. Sometimes you just have to enjoy the sights and sounds of moose hunting (or any kind of hunting) without the blood, and there is SO much to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    man, there is a lot of that going around this year. I have been out nearly every day since opener. I have passed on a spike (in three bears parking lot which didn't seem right), passed on what I figure to be about a 48", seen about 40 cows and calves, and last week saw a fork in 20D.

This week I am either going to try and solo hunt up baldy or fly out into 16B.

Only having 5 grouse and 19 salmon in the freezer I am hoping that my hail mary works!

The success rate seemed pretty good in 16b judging by all the racks going by the Homestead! This one was a nice one!
    image1.JPG

I seen more legal bulls this year then I have in a long time. I think it is the ole "right place at the right time" issue. It also seems like there have been a ton of very large racks coming in this year. Anyone else notice this?
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity