Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting violations in the delta area.

Default Hunting violations in the delta area.

Wow, just read the paper, 11 sub-legal bull moose were turned in two caribou violations, and a sub-legal sheep and a cow mistaken for a bull.
    All but two of the people were from other parts of the state.

I think some people need to take a corse on figuring out a leagal bull.

( this was just delta, I'm sure other areas were hit just as hard.)

That's a bummer. It begs the question how many sub-legal animals are taken home w/o anyone knowing AND how many sublegal animals are left to rot to avoid a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    That's a bummer. It begs the question how many sub-legal animals are taken home w/o anyone knowing AND how many sublegal animals are left to rot to avoid a ticket.
    10 times as many at least.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I thought of that to.

Its a great place to hunt, but if people cont. to abuse it, who knows what will happen.

You take this kind of a report and add in the anterless hunts and delta will be a has-been.

( On a side note, cracked me up, there was a guy that works at the pogo mine , met him at the bridge, he was from kenai and ( and that is 500 miles away) he got his buddy to come up with two sportjohns and they went up and got two small moose and a small bou. above the mine. For those of you that don't know, that is approx. 100 miles from the bridge. Congrats to the guys, but the money that was spent for that adventure had to be way up there.)

These kind of issues are not limited to the Delta area. Check the Trooper Dispatch and see what has been 'reported' around the State. It is truly sad, the number citations that have been issued. Wonder where a good part of the game population is going????

Yeah there were 10 or so last time I looked at the Frontiersman blotter (Mat-Su).

I would be really curious each year how the sub legal moose split out by number. Is it forks and spikes that turned out to not be spikes, sub 50's, sub brow times etc. I would think ADFG could use that to reinforce certain aspects of their outreach so folks know what others have done wrong and to stress the ways to avoid such issues.

Wouldn't all these sub legal bulls not be taken if f@g took out the 50" rule?

Quote Originally Posted by alexl View Post
    I am not totally opposed to the 50" rule! I have walked away from several bulls that were close to 50"'s, but that is the way it goes. There has to be some guide lines so that the 'breeding' age animals are still around to maintain the herd. ADF&G used to have a video out called "Is this moose legal" that really shows what to look for. It is well worth looking at!
    I would also suspect that some that take 'sub-legal' moose just get excited and their judgment gets impaired. It can and does happen more then some would like to admit.

I agree it seems to be a very problematic rule for a lot of folks.
    I would like to see a spike/fork hunt every year,
    then every other year a short any bull hunt maybe 5 days or a week long.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    ADF&G used to have a video out called "Is this moose legal" that really shows what to look for. It is well worth looking at!
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=570
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Last time i was near delta i witnesses 3 illegal kills, along with some drunks stumbling along a trail " ready to shoot a moose".
    Have not been there since.

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    Last time i was near delta i witnesses 3 illegal kills, along with some drunks stumbling along a trail " ready to shoot a moose".
    Have not been there since.
    ...(and the odds are extremely high that they weren't from Delta. Just say'n.).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ...(and the odds are extremely high that they weren't from Delta. Just say'n.).
    Yeah- Delta seems to be the road system moose location in vogue currently with all the joy that entails... I live in great moose country, and drive 90 miles to get away from it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    If you can afford it and it provides the sort of hunting situation you desire, more power to them. Maybe you shouldnt "out" their honey hole for "small" big game. The question is, did they jump any beaver dams
    I think the question should be did they "damage" any beaver dams!

Sounds like a fun trip to me! When I lived in Bethel I burned 200 gallons of gas (around 6 bucks a gallon) moose hunting 1 year . Seen 3 moose total and didn't fill a tag...but it was still good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Wow, just read the paper, 11 sub-legal bull moose were turned in two caribou violations, and a sub-legal sheep and a cow mistaken for a bull.
    All but two of the people were from other parts of the state.

I think some people need to take a corse on figuring out a leagal bull.

( this was just delta, I'm sure other areas were hit just as hard.)
    Crazy. With so many areas being restricted, the area I hunt (any bull) is getting hammered. The last 5 yeras we've been over run by folks from Anchorage/Wasilla/Palmer. I've met a bunch of nice folks, and they have a right, but its getting crowded. Things are chaning and will ony get worse.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Don't shoot if you can't tell for sure.

I think that Most of the time, the guys that shoot the sublegal animals in the first place, don't read the regulations for the area that they are heading to hunt.

Here in 20 B we are open for ANY BULL, & Many guys that I have talked to that come in my shop say they ONLY saw smaller ( 40ish bulls & had to let them go.)

They get all twitterpatted when we let them know the bulls were legal in this area.

We also talk to ALOT of nonresidence that think regulation are the same in every GMU , just different season dates.

Unfortunately there is not an Instant fix to the problem.

If you make it 50" 4 brow tine for the whole state you will still get the same amount of people shooting sublegal or ILLEGAL animals.

Most of the time right before the trigger is pulled there is probably some clarity that the animal isn't legal but then the OH PISS ON IT, IM going to kill it anyway.

Then the thought if I can just get it into another GMU or get home with it all will be great.

But when they see or hear that the Troopers are doing game checks, Boy I will just turn it in & hopefully get a written warning.

Its called SLOB HUNTERS & every state has them, we just get them from Everywhere, including here in Alaska.

Like the two guys I watched shoot 3 caribou bulls opening morning a couple years ago on the Steese by Mastadon.

They field dressed 2 of them & left for home leaving the 3 bull. Then about 4 hours later they showed back up ( SAME 2 HUNTERS )& got the last one & headed home.

Same year my son & I found 4 Caribou that the hind quarters & back strap where removed & that was all.

& we wonder why we get so harassed by the troopers when we come back off the mountain.

I would like to see the guys getting the tickets or arrested for game violations be put on TV & ever news paper to show there friends just whom it was that did that last weekend.

Embarrass them in front of there friends.

That will probably hurt worse than a fine.

Just my opinion.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Give them a mandatory 7 days in the slammer no exceptions and things will change quick!

Quote Originally Posted by kjashen View Post
    Give them a mandatory 7 days in the slammer no exceptions and things will change quick!
    I think you might just end up with more people leaving to waste sublegal animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast