Thread: Prince of Wales, SE,AK... Silvers galore!

Default Prince of Wales, SE,AK... Silvers galore!

Just finished a week on the island fishing salt and freshwaters for silvers. Filled two fishboxes in four days. Fished for fun on the fifth. Ran into my CA and ID buds and just had a great time as usual.

The rain was late again just like last year so fishing was split between the ocean from shore, the estuaries and bays and finally after the rain arrived Thursday the Klawock river filled with coho. Avg. size 6-8 pounds with the odd teener now and then. I think 13# was the big fish for the week. Next week should be way better with the rain and new slugs of silver coming in daily. Probably go into early Oct.

For my afternoon diversion I jigged fish off of the lodge dock in 40 to 100 feet depending on how far out I cast a 2oz
    Lead head jig, knife jig I made from a 25 cent thrift store butter knife, a crippled herring jig. Tipping with bait was optional as the bare hook, 2oz lead head fished as well as any offering. The catch was P Cod up to 33 inches, sculpin and flatfish mixed bag, spotted greenling, an Irish Lord and little perch.

if you need to fill a freezer, come on down there's plenty.

top performing lures were anything pink and green or chartreuse. Vibrax, spinners, jigs, jig and bobber, anything with a pink hoochie on it excelled at enticing strikes.

guess I need to insert a pic or two

tried, the lodge wi fi is weak at best. Will have to wait until i'm home or go here and see them offsite.
    http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11640.0

The kings get off that dock and eat juvenile p-cod on the bottom. You never know, you might get one. I've caught a few kings trolling really near that dock. I'd bet that if you'd toss out some bait as far as you could, you'd fair chance at a halibut if you got some good scent down there. I know a few people who set skates in there and get some big halibut. Might take you all day, or night, but you might get one.

The Coho fishing up here in northern SE AK has also been phenomenal. They extended the coho troll season to the end of the month. Power trollers are getting up to 400 coho a day. Lots of fish everywhere this year! Glad to hear it's hot down in southern as well.

Yea and this and next week promise to be even better. The subsistence fishers are filling their freezers. Just getting settled back into work here and will post pics of catches asap.

Here's a limit on the beach about to be cleaned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a few more.

And some more. Plus one of the many P-Cod jigged up.

carolinaboy, have you tried some of those P-cod for eating? They are usually better than halibut IMO. Those smaller P-cod like that will have fewer parasites, worms to deal with, they should be nice and firm. Got to love fishing!

Oh yeah! I've eaten plenty of them but like you say the bigger ones are more prone to worms. We pulled one up that looked bad like a worn out alley cat, all ragged and scratched up. Back he went. My fishing buds filleted enough to fill a gallon ziplock and made two meals of them. Very tasty in pancake batter and fried up with wild rice or fries.

Looks like you had a great time. We did great on our trip to Ketchikan each of us brought home 175 lbs of coho. We had a number of days of limits for all three of us.

I will call you.

Glad you had a good trip

Quote Originally Posted by dudemandude View Post
    carolinaboy, have you tried some of those P-cod for eating? They are usually better than halibut IMO. Those smaller P-cod like that will have fewer parasites, worms to deal with, they should be nice and firm. Got to love fishing!
    Not sure if I'de say that they are better than halibut; but they are good eating. They make good fish and chips!

I'd say way better than halibut. I actually target them over butts, they at least have some flavor and firmness. Carolinaboy, my folks hit the river today and limited in a few hours. Chromers, Spetember 27, sweet deal.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

as of yesterday, still plenty of chrome fish in the river.

I put some of that POW Chrome on the grill last night... with leftovers for fish tacos lunch today. YUM!

I'd also say the rockfish or ling is better than the halibut any day. Pan seared with a butter and spices.

you boys are keeping the wrong halibut ........(not that I don't adore rockfish, lings and cod as well) I keep nothing over forty unless a guest is all jacked to do so, and even then the 60 plus go back. Most of my freezer has 15-20 lbers in it and it is the most moist flaky thing I can imagine.