Thread: Place to run boat this weekend

Default Place to run boat this weekend

Just picked up a jet boat last week. Looking for suggestions for place to give it a trial run tomorrow. Was thinking about going up to Big Lake. Boat is 21' TJ Just want to exercise it before wrapping it up for winter.

Deshka landing....access to Big Su and beyond. Lots of room, plenty of deep and shallow water to have some fun.

Who knows....maybe a legal moose will present itself??
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Just picked up a jet boat last week. Looking for suggestions for place to give it a trial run tomorrow. Was thinking about going up to Big Lake. Boat is 21' TJ Just want to exercise it before wrapping it up for winter.

If Finger lake is closer for you its a good lake to run sea/river boats to knock the cob webs off or useful as a break-in lake;

Anchorage/Wasilla - Glenn Hwy. to George Parks Hwy., right on Seward-Meridian Parkway, stay on Seward-Meridian Parkway to East Bogard Road turn right. Right again on East Bogard Road. Park entrance on Right.

From Palmer - North Glenn Hwy. to Hatcher Pass Road, left on North Trunk Rd., right on E. Bogard Rd., entrance on left at mile 0.7 Bogard Rd..

I'm in Anchorage. Just moved up this spring and spent most of the summer in lower 48. Next year is dedicated to learning the local water and fishing techniques. Not sure I want to go near the river yet with it. Will be wanting to run the rivers with someone with experience first. Thanks for the tips. Hoping the weather will hold tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    I'm in Anchorage. Just moved up this spring and spent most of the summer in lower 48. Next year is dedicated to learning the local water and fishing techniques. Not sure I want to go near the river yet with it. Will be wanting to run the rivers with someone with experience first. Thanks for the tips. Hoping the weather will hold tomorrow.
    You can launch at the Kink river bridge, just get closer to the large rocks during launch its a smoother spot and the flow is deep enough to go all the way the Glacier.

I will definitely be making the run up Knik to the glacier next year.

Another spot is Launch at the mouth of Ship Creek, Pick up a tide book, Launch on an incoming tide, and get out before you loose too much tide. Watch out for tide rips and sand bars. 4-6kn of current.

If I were you I would stay out of the inlet. Not worth it. My 2cents. Knik is a perfect river to learn on, fairly easy to read and a soft bottom for WHEN you make a mistake. Also if things get bad it's down river back to the truck. The glacier run is fun and a pretty quick trip. I'm putting in at new glen sometime Monday afternoon to go play around welcome to tag along if you like .

Hey unclebuck, you got a 21 foot Thunderjet? Is that right? If so, and you hit the knik, take my advice and go with someone who have been there before and follow there lead and direction. although that river bottom is soft, if you stickit you are guna have a helluva time getting that heavy sucker off the bottom as I have been there done that. PM me for more info, big lake or finger lake is your safest bet... Bob...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Got up to Big Lake yesterday for the trial run. Knocked the cobwebs off the boat. Everything is good to go. Now getting ready to wrap it for the winter. Have to go south to retrieve my truck.

Riton Riton. Maybe we will meet on the river next season...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"