Thread: Frozen hides in frost free freezers???

Default Frozen hides in frost free freezers???

I am currently looking to purchase a new stand up freezer and it seems that a lot of them have a defrost feature. Apparently from my understanding the freezer warms up just a bit to eliminate the frost inside. Will this damage hides that I have in there? Should I be looking for a freezer without this function?

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    I am currently looking to purchase a new stand up freezer and it seems that a lot of them have a defrost feature. Apparently from my understanding the freezer warms up just a bit to eliminate the frost inside. Will this damage hides that I have in there? Should I be looking for a freezer without this function?

is there a way to turn off the frost free feature? It seems strange they would allow the temp to 'warm up' to defrost..question is how much warmer?... As long as the temp is still below freezing you ought to be good to go. Fur is a great insulator and even if the temp did warm up from say 15 to 25 degrees for a short period of time, it would not affect anything in the freezer...meat or hide.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Do you mean defrost...........or do you mean frostFREE..........???????????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Do you mean defrost...........or do you mean frostFREE..........???????????

That is a good question. I assumed frost free ( that is no frost build up when the freezer is on and running normally - but it might just have a feature which allows you to defrost while the temp remains cool?

In which case why wouldn't you just take everything out, put in coolers, defrost and turn back on. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!

I have 7 Frost free freezers & 4 older ones that are NOT frost free.

They BOTH do a great job & keep things frozen .

The ONLY difference between the two is that the FROST FREE freezer will pull all of the moisture out of all the skins in the freezer that have not been fleshed.

They will Freeze dry/burn the skins in about 6 months where the older ones I have skins of my own in for a year or two before they start to show any freezer burn.

TANNED SKINS will NOT freezer burn or be damaged at all in either freezer.

That's why I prefer to get all of the skins tanned & back in the freezer.

Also makes Shelf life indefinite as long as the skins are still frozen.

Beats the heck out of 3 or 4 year shelf life of dry tanned skins.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks www.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Well said RJ. I am sure the OP will appreciate your input. I do too, with regard to the effect of freeze dried raw skins in the frost free freezer because I will be adding a new freezer in the near future. Makes sense.

Excellent advice for folks keeping tanned skins in the freezer, too. I just mounted a couple of 8yr old tanned lynx that were in perfect mounting condition because they had been stored frozen.. The type of tan also plays a role in that longevity..
    Taxidermy IS art!

Most people including some taxidermists don't realize what Shelf life is.

If you check ANY tanneries policies you will find that NONE of them will guarantee there tanning for more than One year.

That's because Dry rot starts to affect the skin shortly after that time.

That is why it is also best to get the skins mounted as quikly as it comes out of the tanning process

( OR )

Put the skins in the freezer & it will STOP all aging of the skin, so if you want to you can mount it 20 years from now & not have any problems with ripping skins when it gets soaked back up.

This INCUDES Dry tanned skins.

Ive mounted some of my own skins that were kept frozen for about 15 years & not one problem, Yet , I mounted some skins from tanneries that were just 4 or 5 years old that tore like tissue paper when they were properly rehydrated.

I have stopped taking in ANY skin that was tanned over 2 years before & not frozen.

the mounts turn out ALOT better because I am not fighting the touchiness of the skins.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!