Thread: sucker fish in taku lake

Default sucker fish in taku lake

i took my nephew (5) fishing for those little stockers at taku lake in anchorage yesterday and i was throwing out a kastmaster when i snagged what appeared to be a sucker fish. i have never seen one of these and cant find any info on it. it was probably about 16-18 inches and really dark brown almost black in color. just was wondering if anyone knows what it was and how it got in there. also saw a freshwater mussel in the shallows along shore. weird

They are called Long Nosed suckers. They are in Rainbow Lake in Willow as well and Im sure they are in alot of lakes for that matter. I researshed it a few years ago, when I first saw them. They are Native to Alaska, and probably got into lakes Many years ago when they were connected to rivers.
    Im not sure what they eat, or how to catch them. Ive tried eggs and shrimp. I bet catfish bait would work.

Mussesls are very common in Anchorage and Matsu lakes as well.

I think there are also bull suckers around too. I don't know of any reliable way to catch them (other then snagging) but I have seen people jigging with a medium sized spoon and catch several in the mouth but I think they were force feed and I don't think it is a reliable method.
    They sure do fight well huh.

yeah they do. and they dont stop to let you get the hook out either. but it sure did leave a thick coating of slime on my hand.. my nephew wanted to keep it and eat it. haha

Yes they are slimy especially when spawning. quite often they smell too. Some times so bad you can smell them in the water.