Thread: Southeast Alaska Goat Hunt

Default Southeast Alaska Goat Hunt

I just finished up an epic goat hunt from last weekend. One of the most brutal hikes I've ever accomplished. Couldn't have done it without my hunting buddy! We saw around 30 goats, 2 deer, and 7 Ptarmigan. It was a fantastic weekend with great weather!
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-13-2015 at 14:17. Reason: member request

Great pictures and sounds like you had a wonderful hunt. Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics!

Nice job! I especially like that second picture where those two goats are sitting up in the nasty gnarly nosebleed section. Makes me want to go goat hunting again. My wife doesn't care for goat meat and she doesn't like the look of the mounts so I am largely discouraged from going. But I do confess your pictures make it awful tempting.

Congrats! Awesome pics. We are taking off in less than a week, I can't wait!

Congrats on the reward of your hard work.Knowing where you were is not the problem, its having the do with all to get there thats keeps folks out.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Great pics!! I can't believe you guys hike that stuff in Xtra Tuffs!

Awesome....simply, awesome country. Congrats on great hunt.
    BK

Trip of a lifetime. While it is still fresh in your mind, I would recommend that you write the story so you can re live the event in later years :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Great pics!! I can't believe you guys hike that stuff in Xtra Tuffs!

That was my thought!~ I know SE folks tend to live in their xtratuffs, I lived on POW for 9 yrs and it was pretty much a required footwear...Still, I can't imaging climbing mtns in them.

Anythingalaska - did you have blisters?

Thanks for sharing the photos and congrats on your goat!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Nice work, those hides look great! Im headed out in a couple weeks and those hides look encouraging. I am not so much of a fan of the super long dreded out hides I like them a little softer, and I was wondering how they were going to look after this cooler summer. BBQ goat, damm I just drooled on my keyboard.

Great pic's man! I was out last weekend too but much lower and it got downright hot!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    That was my thought!~ I know SE folks tend to live in their xtratuffs, I lived on POW for 9 yrs and it was pretty much a required footwear...Still, I can't imaging climbing mtns in them.

Anythingalaska - did you have blisters?

Thanks for sharing the photos and congrats on your goat!
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Yeah wearing the Xtra Tuffs wasn't exactly planned on. I had brought my hiking boots, but once I got out of the boat and ready to put them on, I realized I had forgotten my liners. There's no way I was going to wear them without the liners, so I wore the Xtra Tuffs instead. We hiked around 18 miles with a total elevation change of around 7000'. Strangely enough, I didn't have a single blister when I got home. They actually handled a lot better than I thought they would have, although I would never choose them, or recommend anyone do so for a goat hunt. As everyone knows, packing a heavy load on a downhill slippery slope is where Xtra Tuffs truly shine (not!).

I packed out the hide on this goat. It actually had a considerably nice coat for only being September, and it seemed like a waste not to!