Thread: Rabbit Slough

Default Rabbit Slough

Can you run a 9.9 Merc with prop in the slough from the launch vicinty of Glenn Hwy? How far can you get.

You can..but you will have to be aware of the tides. At low tide you will hit bottom dependent on where you are going and how far. The grass will get in the prop and the water pump can get burned up with the grass sucked in. We pulled a guy back two weeks ago that burned up his pump. It all depends on your level of risk taken, how prepared are you and are you prepared in the event of an emergency to counter it?

I say go for it...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

As stated by buckhunter01 it can be done the first boat I ever used was a scanoe with a 6 horse prop used it for years. But at low tides you will have problems and have to get out and pull until you hit deeper water. like DHo1 said go for it you cant kill anything at home good luck
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by Abob View Post
    Can you run a 9.9 Merc with prop in the slough from the launch vicinty of Glenn Hwy? How far can you get.
    you can get all the way to the lake, no problem. a transom lift and a prop protector will help immensely. I used to haul a s s down that slough with a 9.9 horse motor before the surface drives. the macs river runner prop protector bounces off the soft bottom, and you are bookin it. they are for sale at marita. it it's a short shaft, try to lift the motor with plywood (picture of lift show in second pic), and get the transom lift to a point where the motor still gets water. it varies from boat to boat. with my old square stern canoe, I would run about 7 inches of lift with no problem.

taking some kids down rabbit slough at full throttle with a 9.9:

getting back from 20 mile:

Easier with some experience. I run my big ol prop driven rig down there but I know that slough like the back of my hand. Every turn and stump I've driven by several hundred times. Be careful when you start seeing mud on the banks. Water gets shallow, channel gets narrow and the mud gets sticky.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

How far can you get with a mud motor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onegunsmith View Post
    How far can you get with a mud motor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Again depends on how adventurous you are. I can tell you that there are a few turns where there is less than 3 inches of water on the sides and if you don't know where the channel is you will be pushing your boat off of them. A couple guys I know went flying out of their boat down there when the hit a mud bank. Luckily they landed on fairly solid ground and were OK minus a bruised pride and some wet underpants.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.