Thread: Anybody going to the Ivishak in the next week or so ??

Default Anybody going to the Ivishak in the next week or so ??

I am thinking of taking my Airboat up the Ivishak next week if I can get a break in my shop.

Anybody else thinking about going up , or that just got back.

Just wondering how much snow there is at the launch area.

Can we still get down to the river with the pickups to launch the boat ?

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    I am thinking of taking my Airboat up the Ivishak next week if I can get a break in my shop.

Anybody else thinking about going up , or that just got back.

Just wondering how much snow there is at the launch area.

Can we still get down to the river with the pickups to launch the boat ?

Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks

When we were there 2 weeks ago, you could launch a boat still...The channel that leads to the river is very shallow in parts, but I think the airboats and jets were managing. Not sure what the water level is now, though.

All the caribou we saw were 25 miles upriver from the echooka..I would think they would be further west than that, now.. Hopefully someone else has better updated info for you.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

RJ,
    Had a friend that left yesterday (airboat on the river). Dismal report at best as the bou have moved south already right around Labor day with the last snowfall. He stated they did not see any caribou in the 7 days what-so-ever.
    Also sounds like Randy Quincy and T-n-T (guides) have both pulled out earlier than anticipated and cancelled hunts due to lack of animals. 70 North told him the bou have moved out as well and the biologist that tracks the 50 collared cows stated the bou are south of the pass already.
    Odd year for sure.
    BK

If the 'bou are south of the pass, the Koyakuk is a great airboat river as well, and a deeper launch than 60 mile (usually). If I remember right, about 30 miles down stream is a rock garden, but doable. Lots of great water for your boat if you want a fun run. Of course it has been at least a decade since I have been on the river though...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

How about east of the haul road on the Koyukuk ??

Is there usually enough water to run a long ways up river ?
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

If anybody on the Ivishak would be willing to do me a huge favor we can work out some sort of reward. I left my jacket at one of our camps hanging over a willow to dry. It's my nice waterfowling jacket and we have history. I'd love to have it back but mostly I don't want it just rotting out on a gravel bar. The jacket may have blown down but last I knew it was hanging in a willow between 20-30 feet off the river, about 150 feet UPriver of the following coordinates:

N69.09295 W147.95470

There is a little slackwater pool that we had pulled the raft into for the night. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    How about east of the haul road on the Koyukuk ??

Is there usually enough water to run a long ways up river ?
    Everyone going east is running down river. I have never seen anyone going upriver, I assume there is a reason...but have only gone down stream. Potential of sweepers like any river, lots of old mining sites, beautiful country...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    If anybody on the Ivishak would be willing to do me a huge favor we can work out some sort of reward. I left my jacket at one of our camps hanging over a willow to dry. It's my nice waterfowling jacket and we have history. I'd love to have it back but mostly I don't want it just rotting out on a gravel bar. The jacket may have blown down but last I knew it was hanging in a willow between 20-30 feet off the river, about 150 feet UPriver of the following coordinates:

N69.09295 W147.95470

There is a little slackwater pool that we had pulled the raft into for the night. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Now I know that jacket I found is really going to bring me some luck in the duck blind! LOL... Just kidding I didn't find it, but I hope it comes back to you before the ducks have all flown south. Maybe cross post this in the lost and found section too?
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!