Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 caliber

Default 308 caliber

I don't hear much on these forums about the 308. I have never owned or had any dealings with one. I know it is said to be very accurate but how does it stack up as a hunting round ? How does to compare to a 30-06 and other hunting rounds?

/

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I don't hear much on these forums about the 308. I have never owned or had any dealings with one. I know it is said to be very accurate but how does it stack up as a hunting round ? How does to compare to a 30-06 and other hunting rounds?/
    Basically the .308WIN delivers the ballistics that made the .30-06's vaunted reputation. Some modern '06 loads are a little hotter (some aren't) but there is little you could do with an '06 that the .308 won't do equally as well. The difference is 100fps give or take and there's no critter in the world going to be able to tell the difference.

I've hunted here quite a lot with the .308WIN in two rifles and had very good results as well as a lot in TN as well. I really like the fact you can get the .308 in some really nice compact rifles that carry and shoot easy. As far as comparisons to other rounds go, there's really a lot of standard cartridges that all do the same thing- .270, .280, 7mm, .308, .30'06. and while there are differences, they aren't really all that much at practical ranges with good bullets.

If you have (or want) a .308 that you like a lot, go for it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think the guys that do use them get tired of being told it's not enough gun for Alaska by keyboard hunters, so they stop talking about them.

An old military surplus Mauser in .308 is the first gun I carried up here for a couple seasons until I saved up for a new gun, never did get to shoot anything with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 308 is a take-off of the 300 Savage designed for military use in a auto/repeating rifle. The 308 has a significant amount of power over it's parent cartridge and quite a bit of power in excess of the 30-30. It's known for being a very accurate round and works well in most situations. But why would you talk about your old beater Chevy when you have a Maseratti that makes everyone swoon.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I've taken two moose with a 308W and found it works quite well.

The .308 is an excellent cartridge. I have had a bunch of fun loading it subsonic with a suppressor.!! The .308 performs admirably for hunting too.

I've shot 2 caribou, 2 bear, and 2 Blacktail with my .308Win. Unless i was specifically targeting coastal browns I would hunt anything in AK with it.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I have 308's in different configurations, set up for different hunting. One of them is in the old Savage Striker, bolt action pistol that I have used for both sheep and caribou. As long as I keep my shots with-in reasonable distances, it does the job just fine. I also have a 308 set up for what I consider 'long range' shooting. I have taken caribou out to 490 yards. The 308 is very easy to reload for, easy to shoot and accurate. As has already been said 'I would have no issues hunting with the 308 for anything but the big bears'!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It's immensely popular, and powerful enough, and it is chambered in short actions, which may be a tiny bit lighter and more compact.

However, it isn't as flexible in loading, or as powerful, as a 30-06. I'd choose a 30-06, over the 308 any day of the week, and the cartridges based on the 30-06 over the ones on the 308 as well.

I see no real advantage with the 308, but a FEW compromises.

I've had some interest in the 7mm-08, but not enough to own one.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The .308Win. has plenty going for it - more than most would admit to. It can handle anything in North America 'cept maybe a big griz or a Kodiak brownie, but there you could reach for its big brother - the '06.

I traded the 30.06 for the .308 some years ago (I have two). I love the short action and it is nearly as versatile as the '06. But, they are both great cartridges. For some reason I just find the .308 more interesting and the '06 seems mundane. I have a .270 that almost fills the '06 role, and I'm looking forward to playing with the .300 Sav. I've just gotten.

The .308 will do 90% of what the 30-06 will do.
    With that said, while I have one for Texas hogs and whitetails, I find myself reaching for other calibers, larger and smaller, instead of the '06. I'm planning to move to Alaska with two main hunting rifles. One being the 6.5x284 Norma and the other a .338 Win Mag. The 30-06 folks no niche not covered by those two calibers and if I could have only one it would be the .338 Win Mag.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Not to be a smart aleck, but we are talking about the 308 cartridge here...not the caliber.

In that caliber, there are likely at least 100 cartridges or chamberings that use 308 diameter bullets.

As for the 308 Winchester or 7.62X51 Nato cartridge, it is factory loaded to a slightly higher CUP/PSI than the 30-06.With the 308 Winchester,there are no Springfields...1895s...or potentially suspect Enfields floating around in which an 06 round at 52000 to 54000 CUP might create serious problems.Put another way, nothing manufactured prior to 1952.

Case capacity of the 308 Winchester means it will never run with the 30-06 at similar pressures.All other things being equal.

That said, it is a fine hunting round and 99.9% of the game you shoot will never know the difference.

I look at it kinda backwards compared to lotsa folks. There are 308's available in handy, light, solid packages. My "backwards" look comes when I ask myself if I gain all that much from going to a heavier, bigger rifle for a bigger round. The 308 ballistics do what I need to do, so why would I go to something bigger and "better" to do a job that's already being done well. Pick your own brand and models for comparison, but I'll cite the Rem Mod 7 in 308 versus a Mod 700 in 30-06. Fun game to play, but the only right answer is the one that's right for the guy slapping cash.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I look at it kinda backwards compared to lotsa folks. There are 308's available in handy, light, solid packages. My "backwards" look comes when I ask myself if I gain all that much from going to a heavier, bigger rifle for a bigger round. The 308 ballistics do what I need to do, so why would I go to something bigger and "better" to do a job that's already being done well. Pick your own brand and models for comparison, but I'll cite the Rem Mod 7 in 308 versus a Mod 700 in 30-06. Fun game to play, but the only right answer is the one that's right for the guy slapping cash.
    You don't always have to have a bigger gun for a bigger caliber..! The 300 WSM and 300 RCM both produce more power than the M700 30-06 and yet are the same size as the M7 in 308. Power and speed makes a rifle more versatile. Do you need/want that much power is a matter of the cash changing hands.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

The .308 is much more capable than most give it credit for. Hint, if you can sneak 50 yds closer to your game, it's a 30-06. There are few situations I can think of where one of today's premium 165 gr bullets at 2700 fps won't be sufficient to cleanly and quickly dispatch game. And if more gun is called for I'd want at least a 338 win mag.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The distinction is that I don't need or want the extra power of either short mag. Sure lots easier to come up with cases and factory ammo for 308, too.

Neat that the mags are available for guys who need them, but not even on my B list for small handy guns.

Does any one on here have a rem m7 in .308? And if so, do you have a good handload to recommend? I have some ok loads, but I would like to see better
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Not a mdl 7, but a ruger 77 ultralight. I'd suggest RL15 or Varget under a 165 gr bullet of your choice, you should be able to find an accurate load.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

308 winchester meets the bison requirements when loaded with 200 grainers. Ak Lanche and I tested a few 200 grainers with alliant mr-2000 powder. 2480 from a 20 inch barrel savage. 2550 from a 22 inch barreled kimber.

200 grain nosler partition in the 308 is one heck of a cartidge IMO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast