Thread: Your thoughts on Water Master Rafts

Default Your thoughts on Water Master Rafts

I've seen these advertised for years and finally saw a couple in the upper Kenai a few weeks ago. I have it on my short list on one-man boats to use to fish the Parks Highway streams and occasionally the upper Kenai. Does anyone have experience with these? If so, what are your thoughts?

I saw they were listed as a class IV boat. However, if they are not self bailing, and it appears without any rocker too, I doubt that. For a one man boat a pack raft makes much more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    I saw they were listed as a class IV boat. However, if they are not self bailing, and it appears without any rocker too, I doubt that. For a one man boat a pack raft makes much more sense to me.
    They are self bailing, as there is no floor. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking one of these boats on anything over class 2+. I do not like or trust the oarlock system. For stillwater they are probably fine, but much use/abuse normal to swifter water would destroy the skimpy oarlocks/pins.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I too am looking for a one man raft to float the upper Kenai and Park's streams. I was also considering a Water Master. What other small rafts, or pack rafts would be recommended ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Flat Water oar lock systems

DSC01760.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    They are self bailing, as there is no floor. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking one of these boats on anything over class 2+. I do not like or trust the oarlock system. For stillwater they are probably fine, but much use/abuse normal to swifter water would destroy the skimpy oarlocks/pins.
    The Water Master uses the same oar lock system as I use on my Alaska Series Tenders.
    They work fine for flat water but will not hold up for use in river currents.
    Moving water has lots of power and this flat water oar system will fail when you are rowing hard to avoid the approching log jam.
    The weak link is the plastic pivot connecting the throw pin to the molded oar lock.

For those that attempt to use this oar lock system in moving water I do stock the replacement parts.

Jim King

Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.

WWW.alaskaseries.com (907)248-2900

Might there be any oar lock upgrade available for a Water Master that anyone knows about??

Quote Originally Posted by mhk View Post
    I too am looking for a one man raft to float the upper Kenai and Park's streams. I was also considering a Water Master. What other small rafts, or pack rafts would be recommended ?

Thanks

You might have a look at Northwest River Supplies. Their "Otter" series boats are plenty durable and the price is good. I have a 12' self-bailer that is perfect for 1-2 people and a light gear load.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default The Alaska Series HD Oar Lock System

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    Might there be any oar lock upgrade available for a Water Master that anyone knows about??
    I designed the Alaska Series HD oar Lock System about 10 years ago. It comes standard on all Alaskan Ranger sport boats and Alaskan Jet Ranger inflatable Jet boats. I've also special ordered several rafts, Tenders and smaller sport boats with this option.
    To Retro fit boats like the water Master you need to remove the factory installed light duty oar lock before remounting the HD oar lock system.
    It takes about an hour per oar lock to remove the factory oar lock pads and about another hour to mount on the HD or lock system.

Jim King

Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.

WWW.alaskaseries.com (907)248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Alaska Series Inflatable Boats;1469972]I designed the Alaska Series HD oar Lock System about 10 years ago. It comes standard on all Alaskan Ranger sport boats and Alaskan Jet Ranger inflatable Jet boats. I've also special ordered several rafts, Tenders and smaller sport boats with this option.
    To Retro fit boats like the water Master you need to remove the factory installed light duty oar lock before remounting the HD oar lock system.
    It takes about an hour per oar lock to remove the factory oar lock pads and about another hour to mount on the HD or lock system.

Jim King

Thank you for the information Jim, I may be in touch with you in the future.

Thanks again.

As an update I will mention that I decided upon a PR-49 HD from Pristine Ventures. Will be ready to give reviews after my first float(s) next month

Quote Originally Posted by mhk View Post

Thanks