Thread: My girls DM792 moose

Default My girls DM792 moose

We arrived at the silver fox roadhouse on thursday afternoon dropped our stuff in the cabin and ran out to the Gerstle fields to look around. Found a cow carcass at the southeast corner and walked in to a cow and calf in the southwest corner. We decided to make a dash to look at the panoramics before it got dark. As soon as we walked in by the F&G gate at 1405 we spotted four cows in the first field and a herd of bison. We eased back out quietlywith hopes these moose would spend the night. After dinner it was off to a sleepless night anticipating the 04:30 wake up. After breakfast the four of us crept into the fields in the dark. Those fields are a lot harder to hunt than you might think it's a very game rich environment but they can see and hear everything. As it begins to lighten up we see there are four moose and thirty or so bison in the first field, but after just a few minutes of trying to get closer they all get stirred up and leave the field in a rumble. One small bull, a cow and calf, and a single cow moose trot out our direction but never give a shot on the legal cow. Now we ease over to the next field to find 12 -15 moose and roughly 60 to 80 bison. On the feild to our left another 4 or 5 moose and 30 or so bison. We opt for a move on a huge cow being bothered by to small bulls which I can't make out antler configs on because it is still to dark. My daughter and I belly crawl out through some short grass and get to about 170 yards. I get the spotting scope out to get a look at the bulls and verify both are tweeners, thats when the cow sees or hears something and gets anxious and starts to trot away, in seconds this field is empty with another rumbling of the bison herd running out. We go back to Mom and brother and make a plan on two cows still down the adjacent field almost a mile down we round a wind row to find four cows staring at us at 70 yards but when my daughter got on the shooting sticks she could not see the moose over the brush, we spent some time wondering around with them behind our decoy cow calling to them but still never manged to get her comfortable for a shot. We spent he rest of the day driving in to access points and looking around without seeing any other moose. When evening rolled around we decide to return to the panoramics and sit for a few hours to see if a moose would walk into us. We were treated with to big bull bison fighting in a field with a herd of thirty for some 25 minutes and this was some serious battle that crossed the field three times while the other animals looked on. Then in our hiding spot we saw huge monarch bull that fed within a hundred yards of us, but again with minimal movement or noise this animal eventually spooked and ran all the way down the field. Right before dark we wondered over to the field that was so full that morning and saw four moose clear across the other side. The next morning we found ourselves back here with a field full of game but only one cow moose even remotely stalkable. We gave it a try with same results cow tipped off by something subtle that would not normally clear a field. This time all the animals didn't leave just moved way out in the middle of the field. Perplexed on what to do next we stand near a corner for a while gazing at the animals a quarter mile out in the middle of the short stubble. Then I see a single cow back across a field walking toward the truck. when she gets to a wind row we beat feet across the field to get to the tip of that wind row. Within seconds of getting there I see here out in the open along the tree line feeding our direction about 200 yards away. Bailey gets on the sticks sitting down and waits for her to get broadside squeezes off a 150 gr. hornady interlock right throught he boiler room the moose turns and takes two steps away and stops with her but toward us. 30 seconds goes by without her moving then she turns her head to the side I tell Bailey to put one in her head if she can, her head goes back without a shot. A few seconds later she turns and begins to walk to the right the ruger compact barks again as she put another right behind her head in the neck and down she goes. Roughly 900 yards to the truck. I had taken a game cart which was very nice. Those field fed animals are fat and she was a 3 or 4 yr. old cow and should eat excellent. We finshed the trip with an evening and morning grouse hunt, totaling two sharptails and three spruce grouse. Both kids each got a sharptail and were very excited since we don't have them in southcentral.

Double like! Love to see kids out hunting!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Congrats! Did that hunt a few years ago with my niece, one of my favorite hunts! We didn't see the bison like you did, but did see loads of moose and ended up shooting a cow. Perfect hunt for kids, not too hard, but not too easy. Those moose did get spooked easily.

Very nice story for sure, looks like a very close family! Congrats young Huntress!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

concrats to the daughter AND you for getting out together.

heck, congrats to the whole dang family for being together on a hunt.

Chris

Sounds like everyone had a good time! Part of the fun of being in the woods, is seeing animals and it sounds like you al saw your share of them. Hope that the kids continue their hunting and learn more as they go. Good job dad!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Sounds like everyone had a good time! Part of the fun of being in the woods, is seeing animals and it sounds like you al saw your share of them. Hope that the kids continue their hunting and learn more as they go. Good job dad!
    What he said. Good Job, Dad!
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Great to see a family out gathering meat for winter. Congrats to all...

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great job dad! Way to get the kids involved
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Good job way to get the whole family involved these are the hunts you will always cherish.

Outstanding and wonderful family adventure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Great to see a family out shopping in Mother Natures' bountiful store. Did you get paper or plastic?