Thread: bear fence question

Default bear fence question

First a little bit of news, I just got offered a job with the city of Anchorage. I plan on moving up with my family the 23rd of October. I have spent a lot of time in ALaska. I went to college in Alaska and my wife grew up in Kenai.

Now to my question, I once watched a hunting show where a guy shot a very large elk on raspberry island. He didn't have horses with him and there were no trees to hang the meat. After cleaning the elk, he hiked out to retrieve horses. When he returned his elk was gone. The bear even took the antlers. I started trying to come up with ways to avoid losing your meat in these kinds of situations. The only idea I had was using a portable electric bear fence. Has anyone tried using one of these for that purpose? Does anyone know if they would work up on the tundra to deter wolves from a caribou kill?

I've heard good things about the electric fences but have never tried them. One thing that has worked well for me is a small boombox/radio. Tune to a all news talk show station. Animals dont like human voices. If no radio stations in the area use a CD or ipod phone ect.... doesnt have to be overly loud either. One year went to checkout my meat pole in the morning and the radio was still playing. Turned and found a nice bull moose that got added to the meat pole!

Without a person around a fence will be useless. I used them to protect science instruments that I would leave in the field for a week. Many times the instruments were trashed. I wouldn't rely on them for meat. Invite a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read up herehttp://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/136557-Electric-Fences-for-Bear-Deterrents........http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ric-Bear-Fence

Usually not much I can add to your forum, but here we have a lot of experience. Let me tell you about bear fences we use in the lower 48. We are in a high population area for Black bears. To effectively use them the bear must either use it nose or mouth. We have found the best way to do that is to bait the electric lines!!! If you do not, then they do not get the jolt in their most sensitive areas, and can EASILY push through the fence, which we have seen in our pens. There are many ways to bait the line, but we have found the best short term way is to use bacon held on by a bobby pin. They smell your game or actually the bacon and then nose on up to it and bite it....9000 volts in the mouth is VERY effective. We have never had one get through when we bait it.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimgiven View Post
    Usually not much I can add to your forum, but here we have a lot of experience. Let me tell you about bear fences we use in the lower 48. We are in a high population area for Black bears. To effectively use them the bear must either use it nose or mouth. We have found the best way to do that is to bait the electric lines!!! If you do not, then they do not get the jolt in their most sensitive areas, and can EASILY push through the fence, which we have seen in our pens. There are many ways to bait the line, but we have found the best short term way is to use bacon held on by a bobby pin. They smell your game or actually the bacon and then nose on up to it and bite it....9000 volts in the mouth is VERY effective. We have never had one get through when we bait it.

Hope that helps.

Jim
    Great idea. Up here I would question the legality of it though. Especially if you had to shoot a bear in camp. Could be twisted into a baiting issue. Might be worth a call to the troopers though because I'm sure it is effective. I have been told by a few old timers that a lantern works too.

Of course it would have to be dark for the lantern idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
    Great idea. Up here I would question the legality of it though. Especially if you had to shoot a bear in camp. Could be twisted into a baiting issue. Might be worth a call to the troopers though because I'm sure it is effective. I have been told by a few old timers that a lantern works too.

Yes Andy...I have no experience there(please check with the troopers). If I understood the op correctly, no one would be in camp to shoot a bear right? The fence was for when they were not in camp. Also not sure if the meat from your kill or the bacon would be a bigger draw. LOL. Maybe another way to get their mouth on the line, but I will leave that up to you guys.

Jim