Thread: Polaris Ranger and 600 ATV questions

Question Polaris Ranger and 600 ATV questions

Got a friend that has a 2011 Polaris ranger a year ago and we just got back from a week long trip. No complaints on performance, but the width of side by sides had real limitations. Anyway, the speedometer quit working on the trip. It this a known problem? Is it most likely just the sensor or does the head usually have to be replaced? Anything else that needs closer inspection? Thanks for any advice.

He also purchased a 2010 Polaris 600 4 wheeler a couple of months ago. He has found that even after a short ride, there is a lot of heat down by his feet where the power belt is located. Is this normal? Is there any specific issue that he should be aware of?

These are new brands for him. He has two 22 year old 4 wheelers that are still running, so he knows how to take care of them. He had an Argo for years, so ditto on knowing how to do repairs Any basic recommendations for routine things to watch for, things that easily break, stuff you always carry into the field (if something routinely breaks), etc. are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Yes i know two friends who's Gage's went out on them. 2012 and 2013 rangers

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    Yes i know two friends who's Gage's went out on them. 2012 and 2013 rangers
    Thanks for the input...lots of folks reading the thread, but not replying is frustrating ;-)

Another problem with the Ranger is that he bent a front A-Arm...I see this is a common problem on the Big Boss with an upgrade available. Wondering if there is also an upgrade for the Ranger???
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

yes, the backwoods armor curved A arms are awesome. I replaced mine and now hardly ever bottom out. Super ATV also makes some. to be honest there are a ton of problems with the 2011 ranger, ( I know since I have one). the good news is that there are fixes for everything. I would suggest your friend look at the Polaris ranger forums, or the Polaris ranger club on line, both are free to join and are an excellent source of information. The number one thing he needs to do is replace his fan, it's gonna break when he crosses a stream. Universal parts sells a complete unit that's a drop in bolt up.

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    yes, the backwoods armor curved A arms are awesome. I replaced mine and now hardly ever bottom out. Super ATV also makes some. to be honest there are a ton of problems with the 2011 ranger, ( I know since I have one). the good news is that there are fixes for everything. I would suggest your friend look at the Polaris ranger forums, or the Polaris ranger club on line, both are free to join and are an excellent source of information. The number one thing he needs to do is replace his fan, it's gonna break when he crosses a stream. Universal parts sells a complete unit that's a drop in bolt up.
    Thanks so much for the info, I will pass it along.

X2 on the universal parts fan. I broke 2 stock fans on mine. The universal parts one has been flawless. Either reinforce the stock a arms or get some stronger aftermarket ones. As for the Speedo. If ONLY the speedo function is out you may just have the pick up sensor caked with mud. I havent lost a control head on my Ranger but did many years ago ona wheeler.

UPDATE: even thought the SpeedO sensor at the wheel looked fine, he replaced it and that was the problem. Speedo now works like new :-) He also replaced the bent A Arm, so off to Willow today to test the new Ace he just bought :-)

Got a 2011 ranger as well, what's going on with the fan, does this replacement fan hold up better when going thru water or is it better to put on a kill switch for fan

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    Got a 2011 ranger as well, what's going on with the fan, does this replacement fan hold up better when going thru water or is it better to put on a kill switch for fan
    Ideally both. The switch is a great idea. But sooner or later one will forget to turn it off in the water and break a fan blade. The new aftermarket fans have much stronger blades. I havent broke one yet leaving it running. Dont know of anyone else breaking one either.

Did find this, looks like a plug and play set up for the fan,

http://electricalconnection2.com/ind...&product_id=52