Thread: Corn Gluten Meal on Alaskan Lawns

Default Corn Gluten Meal on Alaskan Lawns

I'm finishing up year two at our new house in south Anchorage. The previous owners did the typical Weed & Feed lawn treatments that pretty much everyone around here does. But I elected to try a different approach and try not to use any herbicides or pesticides. Every May and September, I've been adding lime, an organic fertilizer called Sustane 8𠂼 from Alaska Mill & Feed, and finally Corn Gluten Meal at about 20# per 1,000 square feet to try and control dandelions and clover. During the summer, I mulch mow about once a week. The problem is I am still ending up with just as many dandelions and clover as I started with two years ago. As long as I keep weeding every three-four weeks, the lawn looks great, but I am getting tired of all the work. What am I doing wrong with the Corn Gluten Meal? I've heard there are people in Alaska that have used it to control weeds with great success, but so far I am not one of them. Am I applying it at the wrong times of year or not using enough? I'll try this one more year but if things don't change, I'm giving up and crossing over to the dark side with the Weed & Feed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Why are you avoiding pesticides, etc, and using organic ferts, are you eating your grass, or using it for mulch?

Default Corn Gluten Meal on Alaskan Lawns

I learned a lot this year with my lawn. It was in poor shape and still has a long way to go. Overseed it often, I use Kentucky Blue. Fertilize it monthly, lime in May/Sept. Over time, the grass will overrun the weeds. Stronger root bases will shadow out the weeds early spring and slow them down.

8-32-16 from Mill & Feed is what I've been using with Scotts weed killer in spray form.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    Why are you avoiding pesticides, etc, and using organic ferts, are you eating your grass, or using it for mulch?
    Personal choice. Anchorage already has some of the most lax runoff standards in the country and our property borders a creek that runs directly into Cook Inlet. Also, we don't really have a pest problem on the lawn, so we don't need pesticides. I'm just seeing if I can control dandelions and clover with a natural product like corn gluten meal instead of using chemicals.

Dandelions are a pest, problem is even if you get it handled, but your neighbors don't- they will pop right back up.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

If you have kids or if children will run on your lawn, please do not use weed and feed. Products such as these almost certainly contain endocrine disruptors.

I tried to keep my lawn weed free for a few years, but seriously - why? I've come to embrace clover and such, both for my kids' sake and because I'd rather go fishing or hiking than have a monoculture lawn.

Remember corn gluten meal (CGM) is only considered to be a pre emergent herbicide if you can even call it that. It will do nothing to existing weeds. In fact it may improve the growth of the current ones with the additional nitrogen you are gaining by applying the CGM.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    Remember corn gluten meal (CGM) is only considered to be a pre emergent herbicide if you can even call it that. It will do nothing to existing weeds. In fact it may improve the growth of the current ones with the additional nitrogen you are gaining by applying the CGM.
    I'm very aware of that and this is why I have worked very hard at pulling the existing weeds. However, new ones keep sprouting. And no, I'm not talking about the old ones resprouting from the same root if you don't pull it all the way out - I'm talking new growth. With CGM, timing (and maybe the amount) is everything and I'm still trying to get that down. Hence this thread in the hopes that there are local CGM experts that might pass on their wisdom.

Sorry to offend you, I was merely stating a fact that many do not know. I do not know what you or don't so I just wanted to start a conversation.