Thread: Bionic Ears - Any good?

Default Bionic Ears - Any good?

Has anybody tried using the bionic ears as a hunting technique for most likely tree stand or sitting hunting (moose,bear) or walk and stops? Any success? or complete waste of money? I did have a buddy claim to get a moose using them while watching a field. My hearing has degraded over the years too many gun shooting - hunting and military. Thinking I might need to level the playing field more.

I have a set of sportears that work pretty good. I use them for baiting bears calling moose and I'll also use them for duck and goose hunting reason for that is they work as ear protection as well. It takes some getting used to as you are now hearing things louder than normal. One of the first times I used them I thought for sure I had godzilla coming right at me, when it cleared the brush it took a minute to realize that huge monster crashing through the brush was actually a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have a set of sportears that work pretty good. I use them for baiting bears calling moose and I'll also use them for duck and goose hunting reason for that is they work as ear protection as well. It takes some getting used to as you are now hearing things louder than normal. One of the first times I used them I thought for sure I had godzilla coming right at me, when it cleared the brush it took a minute to realize that huge monster crashing through the brush was actually a squirrel.
    That's funny! Squirrels probably the noisest animal out there. I've jumped a few moose walking thru the woods of which I might have gotten the drop on them had I had better hearing. Doesn't sound like many people use them. I don't mind dropping $100-200 or cabela points on equipment that will up the anty for the hunt.

Hearing a moose or bear walking is extremely hard under the best of conditions like no vehicle, river, rain or wind sounds (leave rushing), that will cover up any near or far field sounds. If you hunt an area that is very quiet what I found is sitting and listen does work using a high gain, low noise, directional amplifier system. The wools come alive with sounds.

A $100-$200 head set is none of them. If you have poor hearing it may help you hear thing your not hearing now. If nothing else buy one and try it out it may work for you.

What I found is once I started hearing sounds I have never heard before I needed to train my mine to interrupt what I an hearing. I know that sounds odd but it true.

The only advantage I've found walking with a head set is you realized just how much noise your making. Just because your making noise is not necessarily bad if what the moose hears make him/her think your another moose.

I hear ya! lol. I think it has to be the perfect day and not around other wood noises for sure to aid in any way

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    I hear ya! lol. I think it has to be the perfect day and not around other wood noises for sure to aid in any way
    Not really.... when you improve your hearing you realized there are sounds that you heard but your brain did not process, for instance when you are calling a moose. A bull will answer your call just when you finish. To the untrained ear it sounds like an echo or when walking down a trail if a moose hears you it will not move and let you pass. If he thinks you might be a moose he may say “Hello or Hi” making a subtle sound a person not paying attention will hear it but not realized what just happen.

I have 50% hearing loss and use the Bionic ear without my hearing aids. I hunt with guys that have amazing hearing. I always hear the moose grunt, walk and thrash brush before them with the Bionic ear. It sucks when it is buggy or when there is rain. It picks up everything.

This is what I use and don't leave home without it.

http://www.deluxecctv.com/catalog/li...FYhefgodKYEAYQ

I too have hearing loss and this season started using a set of electronic muffs by Howard Leight. They make my hearing much better, some of the stuff I'm able to hear is crazy, way better than my friends with normal hearing. Of course they also block out loud gun shots. The best part is they're only around $50 and can be had a cableas.

i use these ones
    http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2

heres a review
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lkZvIXGohc0

I tried a similar product while bear baiting. The steadyhum of thousands of mosquitoes made them less than useless.

The other time they are no good is when a plane is near by. You will hear the plane forever. If your away from civilization though I wouldn't trade them for the world. When that moose goes quiet and is circling you , you can tell where at.

Wouldnt that be illegal electronic communication of the location of big game?

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Wouldnt that be illegal electronic communication of the location of big game?
    I would believe that the word "communication" as used in the regs means between two or more people. You are not communicating while wearing these devises....you are just listening.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

never said communicate. It's listening to them fly circles around you. Drives me nuts

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I would believe that the word "communication" as used in the regs means between two or more people. You are not communicating while wearing these devises....you are just listening.
    Interesting......the reg used to say hearing aids were legal. Under “You may not take game by:” I could not find any reference to hearing aids in the new reg's. A Bionic Ears is nothing more than a big hearing aid. I used my amplifier to help communicate with moose and it NOT ILLEGAL.