Thread: PLB saves 2 on Lake Louise (out of 3)

Default PLB saves 2 on Lake Louise (out of 3)

http://m.ktuu.com/news/hunter-dies-2...ouise/28065972

Brian is always a very prepared person, good thing he had it with him.

His phone is in the lake, so I haven't been able to contact him for more of the story. I'm friends with both Jeff and Brian.

Condolences to the family of Bill.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

RIP Longbow.....I will miss your company and conversations. I feel for Linda.....

People this is not a newbie! If you don't have the boat or experience or backup location. Find another place. I ended staying an extra day and still spent an extra day. Coming out was rough. as soon as you exit the channel southbound........... the whole world changes. 5 Foot rollers and shallow exits. You better KNOW the lake or at least my phone number...... and have a few days off. It has been extremely rough this year. I still see 16' boats with wheelers headed to the channel....... Too many this year.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

From Alaska Native News:

Lake Louise Man Dies in Capsize on Lake
    Staff Sep 15, 2014.

Location of Lake Louis, the site of a Sunday boating accident that took the life of one. Image-Google Maps

One of three men who capsized on Lake Louis on Sunday morning died despite attempts to save his life according to the Alaska State Troopers dispatch.

Alaska State Troopers were notified of the activation of a personal locator beacon on Lake Louis on Sunday morning at approximately 8:40 am. An investigation showed that the PLB was registered to 42-year-old Anchorage man Brian Johnson.

Two hours and ten minutes later, searchers located Johnson as well as a second member of the party, 45-year-old Anchorage man Jeffery Watson. When found, the two men were approximately one mile off-shore, wearing life jackets.

Searchers were informed of a third member of the party that was still somewhere in the water. Johnson informed them that 61-year-old Howard W. Jaidinger was in the front of the 18-foot boat when heavy winds and waves capsized their vessel.

At approximately 12 noon, Jaidinger was located by searchers and pulled from the water. When found, despite wearing a life preserver, Jaidinger was unresponsive.

Resuscitation was begun on Jaidinger as he was being transported to the Lake Louise Lodge. Medical personnel continued CPR attempts once the rescuers reached shore, but unfortunately, those attempts were unsuccessful and Jaidinger was pronounced deceased at the scene.

Alaska Dispatch says it was two separate boats.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140915/...-boat-accident
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    ... so I haven't been able to contact him for more of the story.
    I'd sure like to know which PLB he was using. That was a quick response.

Some old VHF units still around, but unmonitored. I'm assuming his was a 406b?

Sad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'd sure like to know which PLB he was using. That was a quick response.

Some old VHF units still around, but unmonitored. I'm assuming his was a 406b?
    Yes it was one of the floating ACR PLBs.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes it was one of the floating ACR PLBs.
    Excellent. Thanks.

I'll have to get confirmation, but I believe Jaidinger was in his own 18' boat.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll have to get confirmation, but I believe Jaidinger was in his own 18' boat.
    I don't know how big his boat was, but he was alone in his own boat. The 2 guys in the water could hear his motor for a while after they capsized.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Very bad situation for sure. It really hit home with us since I think we were likely the last ones to see them before this. We took advantage of a lull in the right at daylight and made a dash across from the road to the channel that morning (after sitting on the beach for 2 days waiting out the wind). It was picking up quickly as we got to the channel. Only a couple scattered whitecaps while we were approaching the channel, but literally a minute after we got into the channel, it was nothing but whitecaps looking back, probably 4-5' rollers coming into the channel. Part way across Susitna, we saw the three boats from this group going the other way. We didn't realize anything happened until we got a report late in the week from some other hunters. The winds were fluctuating a lot the entire time we were there. Wind speeds were up and down every 5 or 10 minutes making it tempting to make a run then suddenly get bad without warning. They were also changing direction frequently resulting in some mixed up wave patterns. You really had to watch each wave as it approached to see which way it would hit you and steer accordingly. Some you just didn't have a choice with and just had to ride it out.

We were running our 19' freighter canoes which can bob with the waves a bit better than some of the wider, low sided river boat style boats. I know we were skirting the shore so if anything happened, we could get to shore quickly. I think after hearing about this story, I will be getting a PLB. I guess it is one of those things I have considered more of a saltwater thing and wasn't too sure there would be much use in lakes because I wasn't sure there were people to respond in those areas, but this proves otherwise. It's great that the right people were on hand and ready to save at least two of the group.

The plb's arent only for the water. Many mountian snowmachiners carry them in case of emergency. Think of them as a "spot". They are proven to work over and over again. And no service contract like a spot. Hard to beat a plb.

My condolences to the family and friends.

nothing is more despairing, than being stuck in those 4-5 ft rollers in a small boat. they are so close together in the shallows out of the channel, some come from different directions. Nobody is safe, you run it enough, you will eventually get close to a heart attack level of blood pressure/stress, or be swallowing some water.