Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Lewis Winch or Simpson Capstan Winch... or other?

  1. #1
    Member Sobie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,039

    Default Lewis Winch or Simpson Capstan Winch... or other?

    I have an 1860 MVJT SeaArk with a tiller Honda 90 jet. I am going moose hunting. I may need to winch around one or two log jams that can't be cut out. If I am luck I can bag a moose, I'll need to drag it back to the boat with the winch.

    I am not sure if I should get a Lewis Winch (I already carry a Stihl MS460 saw), or get a Simpson Capstan?

    I have about 1200' of Amsteel Blue laying around.

    I could also mount a regular an ATV winch on the bow (not my preferred setup).

    I also carry some 2" ABS pipe for easy sliding of the boat.

    Sobie2

  2. #2
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,117

    Default

    The Lewis set-up is heavy. I purchased one after seeing what they will do. The Lewis will pull my boat around with no issues, especially if you add a sheave and start doubling the capacity.
    The capstan look lighter but not sure of how much they will actually drag across ground.
    Either would be better than strong-arm the boat I suppose.
    BK

  3. #3
    Member HCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mat-Sue
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I have the simpson capstan winch and love it. 18lbs not counting rope or sheves, but it will easily pull my boat on single line and add a sheve,
    doubling the line pull it will pretty easily pull heavier boats. Not sure how long a tank of fuel lasts, I ran two summers on a single tank of gas with some
    substantial winching before I ever refilled the little tank. They are not cheap, but absolutely worth every penny in my book. As for dragging a moose throught the woods it wouldnt even break a sweet, you will only be limitted by rope and anchor points. Do not use amsteel or anyother plastic rope
    it will melt it to the drum, yes ii found out the hard way. I just use the braided 3/8" rope that aih sells and it works great. I carry several 100ft sections and 0ne 300ft sections and as i found out sometimes you will need it all.haha
    Hope this helps and please dont hesitate to holler if you want more info.
    Mike

  4. #4
    Member Yukoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Whitehorse Yukon
    Posts
    1,341

    Default

    Those wee Simpson capstans look like the way to go. The Portable Winch Company units look similar, but are heavier and cost much more.
    If there was a dealer here, I'd buy a Simpson tomorrow. I can't believe they are only 18 lbs.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Simpson capstan is a great winch pulled our extreme shallow over 1000' over little to no water.

  6. #6
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Those wee Simpson capstans look like the way to go. The Portable Winch Company units look similar, but are heavier and cost much more.If there was a dealer here, I'd buy a Simpson tomorrow. I can't believe they are only 18 lbs.
    The price to have one shipped is still cheaper than buying one here in Alaska. I paid 980.00 (that's with shipping) a few days later I had mine.

    Fairbanks area charges around 1200.00

    The first time I seen one in action was HCL winching from a few inches of water, and as soon as I got home I ordered one.

    http://www.capstanropewinch.com/

    The Lewis winch is still limited to barrel line and the pulling power gets less and less as it fills.

    The Capstan is endless and limited to the length of rope used and has a pulling power of 2000 lbs, with a pully its 4000 pounds, it works.

  7. #7
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    The price to have one shipped is still cheaper than buying one here in Alaska. I paid 980.00 (that's with shipping) a few days later I had mine.

    Fairbanks area charges around 1200.00

    The first time I seen one in action was HCL winching from a few inches of water, and as soon as I got home I ordered one.

    http://www.capstanropewinch.com/

    The Lewis winch is still limited to barrel line and the pulling power gets less and less as it fills.

    The Capstan is endless and limited to the length of rope used and has a pulling power of 2000 lbs, with a pully its 4000 pounds, it works.
    Attachment 80851 Attachment 80852

  8. #8
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    I hope this doesn't sidetrack the OP's question, but I'm reading with interest. I've been thinking about a winch setup for my boat for our occasional Yukon trips and wondering how you attach to the boat and/or anchor points. In the past I've heard a few guys talk about hitch receivers on their boats that can accept the winch, are many of you using that...or are you somehow anchoring the winch to ground and pulling the boat from there?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

  9. #9
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,117

    Default

    With the Lewis winch, obviously the chainsaw is handy to have as well since we carry the blade and chain so it serves double duty as both the winch and saw. The Lewis will pull 4000# as advertised, no issues at all. Throw a shave in the equation and you now have 8000# pull.
    I don't need to mount the Lewis to the boat, just chain it anywhere to the boat and you start pulling...no reciever as I do not want to pull straight ahead most of the time.
    Also use the Lewis at the cabin to pull trees over, stumps, etc.... pretty handy piece of equipment.
    The pull is NOT limited to the length on the drum, add as much line on the end of the hook to suit your needs. We carry 200' of line with a clip and now have 250' of reach.
    Again, I think either are great tools, just happens the Lewis was a better tool for our boat and situation.
    BK

  10. #10
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    The company that sells the simpson (Capstan) winch also sell the CS-CW model which is a chain type winch, its a capstan also, not a barrel drum type. Quite frankly anything that get you free from a sand/gravel bar is a good thing.

    http://www.capstanropewinch.com/
    Capstan.jpg

  11. #11
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    The company that sells the simpson (Capstan) winch also sell the CS-CW model which is a chain type winch, its a capstan also, not a barrel drum type. Quite frankly anything that get you free from a sand/gravel bar is a good thing.

    http://www.capstanropewinch.com/
    Capstan.jpg
    I have one like this and have been very happy with it. Plus I get to have a chainsaw along for only the added weight of the bar and chain, 2 tools for the weight of one.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  12. #12
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have one like this and have been very happy with it. Plus I get to have a chainsaw along for only the added weight of the bar and chain, 2 tools for the weight of one.
    Stid, several years ago I saw a video from a Yukon/Koyukuk hunt was that your Video? If so I see you've moved the come along to back seat. Nice winches to save the hard pulls. Will you re-post it.

  13. #13
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    Stid, several years ago I saw a video from a Yukon/Koyukuk hunt was that your Video? If so I see you've moved the come along to back seat. Nice winches to save the hard pulls. Will you re-post it.
    Here ya go,, used that same come-a-long again this year. Sometimes it is hard to beat a light come-a-long..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQt...IOuU_8TVDhD0_Q

    This years moose, did add a pulley block to double the pull.

    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  14. #14
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    The video is blocked and after signing into you tube its still unavailable, not sure if its my computer or the link.

    Nice moose, was that in the FB area?

  15. #15
    Member cormit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tustumena Lake Road
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Have done several "water moose" with a come along ...... a big bull does not come out of the water very easy. Now I take a Lewis winch. It's heavy and a PITA the find room for in the boat ...... but worth it if you need it.


  16. #16
    Member Armed_alaskan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    Have done several "water moose" with a come along ...... a big bull does not come out of the water very easy. Now I take a Lewis winch. It's heavy and a PITA the find room for in the boat ...... but worth it if you need it.

    That's big moose, very nice

  17. #17

    Default Nice Video

    Thanks for sharing that video.
    Pretty good show of a remote riverboat hunt.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Juneau,AK
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I have an 1860 MVJT SeaArk with a tiller Honda 90 jet. I am going moose hunting. I may need to winch around one or two log jams that can't be cut out. If I am luck I can bag a moose, I'll need to drag it back to the boat with the winch.

    I am not sure if I should get a Lewis Winch (I already carry a Stihl MS460 saw), or get a Simpson Capstan?

    I have about 1200' of Amsteel Blue laying around.

    I could also mount a regular an ATV winch on the bow (not my preferred setup).

    I also carry some 2" ABS pipe for easy sliding of the boat.

    Sobie2
    Call Karls.auto marine
    Also.bobcat is.getting the dealership.for.lewis winches.

    Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Down by the river, Alaska
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I just recently received my Simpson capstan the other day and couldn't be happier. Ordered the 600' of 3/8's double braid as well and threw a few pulleys, some webbing, caribeaners, and prussiks in with it. Should make a nice addition to the boats when that little voice says "you can do it!"

  20. #20
    Member HCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mat-Sue
    Posts
    267

    Default

    I also carry one of these when I cant winch off a tree, drift wood, or any other object. Just shove the pointy end in the sand and start pulling.
    I did not think it would work well under the water in the silt, but that thing will dig in and allows you to winch right to it. Have had to use E-tool to dig the thing out.
    Kinda heavy, but dang handy when 400ft of rope wont reach anything else!
    http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/94.htm
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •