Thread: Glues for field repair of rafts, waders, sleeping pads, etc?

Default Glues for field repair of rafts, waders, sleeping pads, etc?

I don't know about you guys but on long trips something that shouldn't leak, often does. More than once I've had to get by when I could have made a proper repair with the right glue.

I commonly have an inflatable sleeping pad, an inflatable boat, waders, rubber boots, dry bags, water bottles/containers, any of which could leak. Of course, I have a repair kit for the boat, but... things happen. Maybe the glue dried out and I forgot to replace it. Or I ran out of glue. Or the boat glue doesn't work for another application.

So let's say I am completely glueless on a trip with the above gear. What would be the very best all around glue to make repairs that would at least last through the trip. How about if two or more types of glue were needed, what would you take?

It's looking to me that "Shoreline Marine GOOP" might be hard to beat. I would have paid $50 for a tube on my last trip!

What's worked for you?

With rafts, it depends on what they are made of. Hypalon and PVC require different glues; Not a lot will stick to PVC. As for sleeping pads, waders, rubber boots and dry bags, goop should do the job. I've used it on neoprene waders and a rain jacket with good results. I also carry a roll of "good ole" duct tape for minor repairs.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Tyvek tape and/or Tear-aid tape. Leave the permanent repairs for home under a controlled environment.

Tear Mender glue.

Everyone should have a bottle of it. Amazing stuff and is non-toxic.

Shoe goo for waders and sleeping pads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UV Aqua Seal,, stuff is magic... Has to be the UV version as it dries almost instantly when exposed to UV (sun light). Tyvek tape is awesome as well, sticks to about anything.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Tyvek tape and/or Tear-aid tape. Leave the permanent repairs for home under a controlled environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    UV Aqua Seal,, stuff is magic... Has to be the UV version as it dries almost instantly when exposed to UV (sun light). Tyvek tape is awesome as well, sticks to about anything.
    What both these gentlemen said, only in combination. Tear aid works great for major tears in a pinch. Aqua seal works great for leaky seams or pinholes etc. By the way Buck, how did your SE Alaska trip go? Or are you still there?

UV Aquaseal is some pretty impressive stuff and sets up quickly, even on a cloudy day. With the UV Aquaseal and some Tyvek Tape or even Tenacious Tape, you can pretty much limp anything off of a river or out of the woods. Throw in a Speedy Stitcher, and you could fix a massive tear if needed.

how aboutto patch a pair of lacrosse knee high rubber boots or extra tuffs?
    NRA life Member JVJ

Alaska Raft sells a very nice repair tape that fixes most inflatables. It runs about $25 a running foot but worth it.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Float hunts and Drop Camps Unit 23
    907-259-4290

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    how aboutto patch a pair of lacrosse knee high rubber boots or extra tuffs?
    Patch them with rubber patches and glue that same you would use to fix an inner-tube. Like fixing a flat bike tire.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I've yet to find anything that can't be repaired with plain 'Shoe Goo." You can patch a hole in ExtraTuffs, rain gear, inflatables and even put soles back on your boots. Good stuff.

Default Good advice, thanks!

Obviously duct tape is super useful.

It seems clear from your answers and further research that for serious tape repairs, Tear Aid tape is pretty hard to beat. Type A for most repairs, type B for vinyl/PVC. Tear Aid tape is what Alaska Raft sells, and they should know. Tear-Aid is described as "durable, flexible, airtight, watertight, puncture-resistant."

Aquaseal is highly regarded and it looks like it would be really hard to beat for an all around glue. Alpacka Raft, Alaska Raft and NRS recommend it, the latter says: It bonds to hypalon, neoprene, latex, nylon, vinyl (PVC), GORE-TEX and other trilaminates, many fabrics, foams, composites, and many plastics.

Bushwhack Jack, my "living off the land trip" went well. It was challenging, for sure but was a real adventure. Check out the link if you're interested. I'm adding photos daily.

Aqua Seal is the shiz...keeping my Made in US XtraTufs going years longer than they have any right to...just put 40 miles on em last week
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I picked up some SAIL PATCH TAPE, "Permanent Repair for Torn or Punctured Sails", from an RV store to do a little patching on our trailer. It stuck well on the bottom material and I patched a vent corner with it. A year of sun, rain, snow, and wind and the tape is still holding. I don't know how it would work for all the outdoor uses listed, but might be worth a try.

Default Sail tape

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I picked up some SAIL PATCH TAPE, "Permanent Repair for Torn or Punctured Sails", from an RV store to do a little patching on our trailer. It stuck well on the bottom material and I patched a vent corner with it. A year of sun, rain, snow, and wind and the tape is still holding. I don't know how it would work for all the outdoor uses listed, but might be worth a try.
    I've made some nice, clean tent repairs with sail tape. Just leave extra tape all around the hole, round the corners, and rub down carefully. The patch is likely to last longer than the tent and it's really easy.